Why were we so grossly misinformed regarding MMR/Stats?

I feel this is only an issue for people that haven’t actually put up their best effort in comp the last 10 days.

1 Like

That’s not necessarily true. You can play unoptimally while still putting your best effort in.

An example would be, if I had known it would 100% count like a normal season would, I would not have played my main role right away (day 1) and waited to see how people were placed and wait for things to settle down a bit.

FWIW my role ranks are exactly where they should be, so I’m not actually complaining personally. I just don’t really like how it was handled.

You have to admit, that it’s kind of smart move to filter out players, that play “non-seriously” from time to time in competitive setting.

none of this mess would have ever happened if the MMR formula was public knowledge

But then players would be playing that formula.

1 Like

not a good enough reason imho

Because what we really need is the player base manipulating the MMR/SR

1 Like

not a good enough reason imho

a fair point, but nevertheless

Blizzard spend money, and lots of it, making this matchmaking system. They are not interested in rewriting it, every time players find some loophole in it.

it would just have to be a simple win loss system, the only way you could exploit it was to win games

here’s my grand scheme, I think it would be awesome How matchmaker should work (imho)

they aren’t paid by blizz. So no their fault.

I have the biggest &#%# eating grin right now. I never toke the beta seriously as well, but I never used it as an excuse to throw or play badly in competitive.

2 Likes

It’s hard to feel sympathetic to throwers. It’s no different than a live season and someone going Bastion with little play time on them just because they can be a strong pick.

I’ve climbed this beta because I took it like any other season. When someone asked me to play Bap, I told them I’m not fantastic at them because it’d feel like I was throwing – they respected that. If someone played a hero that didn’t have much experience with and lost as a result, that is 100% on that player, not any post on the forum.

This is literally people having the “It’s just quickplay” mentality in a competitive environment.

So anything an MVP says should be taken with a certain degree of skepticism, is that what you’re saying?
These people are specifically selected by Blizzard to be MVP’s and help on the forums without Blizzard staff being here all the time, to lighten the load. I think it’s a cool system.
That said, Blizzard need to make sure they are given the specific information they need, and if they are themselves posting off an assumption they should state so and not mislead thousands of people :slight_smile:

I tried doing a poll to check that among other things but, the response rate was low thus far.

You had a slight leaning towards people feeling that the MMR was going to be kept and you had a slight leaning towards better results for players that felt it was going to be kept.

stat =/= mmr

it meant the stats page on your profile

Ive stopped taking anything Blizzard writes seriously anymore. They just dont have any reason to be honest or precise. You guys are buying their games anyway.

Oh yeah, update on this, you believed a regular joe forum MVP could never be wrong about something like this? It’s not like he gets special information or anything. They’re not blizzard employees. You played yourself.

That’s not really how it works… you could lose every placement game and end up at the same SR you finished the last season with really.

1 Like

Read my previous posts in the thread regarding that, genius.

Yes. That is based off of your MMR. Your SR does not carry over.