How matchmaker should work (imho)

Don’t derail please. We’re discussing your terrible ideas and the motivation behind them. Thanks.

1 Like

One million, three hundred ninety-four thousand, five hundred sixty three. Tactictian’s target post count, iirc.

2 Likes

Well this isn’t very nice. We may not agree, but let’s be respectful.

2 Likes

But what’s the “rd?” That is the part I can’t figure out.

2 Likes

you’re missing the point

the prime directive of the ladder is to list all the participants in order, from best to worst. (how matches are made should obviously be people of close rank, but you’re always allowed to derank if you want)

I guess the main problem is that I don’t see any harm (in the grand scheme of things) in letting a GM play in a bronze game

That transforms the pronunciation of the trailing “3” into “third” - e.g. One million, three hundred ninety-four thousand, five hundred sixty third.

2 Likes

responding to an infraction is not an infraction

But Seagull said it is, so I think I’m going to listen to him over you.

3 Likes

I don’t know your rank, but I know mine—plat. I have played with and against GM players, and I have played with bronze players. Empirically, I can tell you that a bronze doesn’t belong in my game anymore than I belong in a GM game. The skill variance is way to great. I will argue that Blizz agrees with me because a bronze cannot queue with me, and I cannot queue with a GM.

3 Likes

my profile is open, I’m 1900

3 high schoolers, 1 college kid, and 1 NBA player on each team would make for a good basketball game to watch. and the highschoolers would make hoops

but there is a difference here, the highschoolers haven’t full developed

that’s not true in a ladder, if a blizzard official came to everyone’s house before they played a game of competitive and properly ID’d them before they play a game, then I could see things your way.

but until that happens, I say let GMs play in bronze

I disagree with blizz too. maybe if I saw behind the scenes, I would change my mind.

Here I got my answer right now: Currently any GM can buy a new account for $20 and pretend to play poorly all the way down to 900sr. then they could just go 50/50 every from then on out. So it’s very easy for a GM to play in low Bronze.

I play with friends and family, but he does have a point that having the ability to choose your teammates can give you an advantage, and that isn’t fair in a competitive environment.

A good competition is like chess, where both sides start off with the same pieces. There’s data out there that shows that players who group up in competitive win more matches than those who do not. What this means is that even if the match maker only puts groups up against groups of equal size, players who group will still be higher rank than those who don’t, in comparison to their individual skill level.

1 Like

Chess is an example of a symmetrical, 1v1 game. Overwatch is an asymmetrical, team-based game. If you don’t prefer the kind of competition that Overwatch provides, that’s one thing - but there’s no comparison to be made here. That’s one of the reasons why Overwatch doesn’t use the Elo rating system.

2 Likes

Your comparison is not apt. Only one player listed has any implied skill—the NBA player. Your reasoning is purely inductive.

I feel like you have a problem with smurfing, so you’d rather allow high level players to play in low elo matches than have them hide behind a smurf account.

You’re seeking specifics, and I get it, but specifics would negatively impact the game.

The GM player in bronze cannot play above a bronze level without their MMR adjusting accordingly.

Empirically, again, unless I throw in a ridiculously obvious fashion, I cannot get to bronze, and I’m a plat. Deranking is blatantly obvious and reportable.

Edit: I have friends in bronze and silver. They do not understand OW basics like team compositions, positioning, cool down management, healing, ult economy, the objective, how negatively dying affects the team and match, chokepoints, positioning, positioning, and positioning.

3 Likes

What about where health packs are?

2 Likes

I know who this is…:smiling_imp:. I’ve discovered your secret identity.

3 Likes

:smiley: I hope I’m Seagull!

3 Likes

no, “GMs have the right, nay, the duty! to pwn noobz.”

all that “smurf prevention” does is limit how many games a smurf can stop. i.e. stomp one game in low rank = ok. stomp 10 games = you’re going to get caught

any GM can play in bronze with an alt smurf account, so can we just end this charade and let people shed sr with the click of a button. to think smurf prevention is effective is quite laughable. You can’t stop sandbaggers, you can BARELY even slow them down.

so be it, I don’t think it would be worse

yes you can, buy a new account and soft throw down to 900sr. The system allows for this.

I feel like every idea, post, debate, and discussion we’ve shared just made sense, Tactician, based on this single post. I feel like I finally understand.

I’m not going to say I am right. I’m not going to put words in your mouth. I am simply going to express my opinion. Every post, idea, discussion, and debate is about…YOUR RANK!

3 Likes

can’t argue there

im pretty sure there was no secret here

4 Likes