Greetings fellow players of Overwatch. Starting in Season 11, anyone who wishes to compete for the Top 500 on the PC platform will need to have enabled SMS Protect on their Blizzard Account. This guide will walk through the easy steps needed in order to set up this feature on your Blizzard Account.
UPDATE! The steps for setting up SMS Protect has changed. It is no longer displayed as “SMS Protect” but simply as “Add Phone Number” for your Blizzard Account. I am working to learn if this impacts the qualifications for Competitive Top 500 on PC in any way at this time.
When you can’t log in, you can receive texts on your phone that can:
- Unlock your Blizzard Account
- Remove a lost authenticator
- Recover your account name
- Approve a password reset
How SMS Protect affects Competitive Overwatch
- Only PC players who have SMS Protect enabled will be eligible to reach Top 500!
- Once you enable SMS Protect is enabled, you must play a minimum of 25 games for any given role to qualify for Top 500 for that role (or 25 games each in all three roles to get the combined top 500), any games before enabling SMS Protect do not count!!
- Console players are not required to enable SMS protect to reach Top 500 at this time.
- The use of the Blizzard Authenticator App or Keychain is NOT required or used to qualify for Top 500
Step 1: Log into your Blizzard Account Management Page
Open your Blizzard Account management page at https://account.blizzard.com/. You may be prompted to sign into your Blizzard account at this time (even if you are signed into the forums or other parts of Blizzard’s websites). When logged into you will find yourself on your Account Management Page. Then click the Account Details link in the left side navigation pane of the webpage.
Step 2: Add a Phone Number
Next simply type in your phone number including area code. Please note, country code is restricted to the designated country listed on your Blizzard account. Click the blue Continue button. At this time, check for an incoming SMS text message prompting you with a verification code. Enter this code on the next webpage dialog and click the blue Continue button to continue.
Step 4: Complete!
You will then be returned to the Account Details page on your Account Management Screen. Your last two digits of your phone number will display on the screen. That’s it!
If you have any problems enabling SMS protect, start a web ticket with Blizzard Customer Service and they can lend a hand!
I hope your progress in Competitive will be a great experience for all of you! Play nice, play fair everyone! (^^)v