GUIDE: Enable SMS Protect (required for PC Top 500) - UPDATED

If you at any point have problems with SMS auth and have to disable it.
(my case, were in another country wanting to play Hearthstone and the SMS authenticator made things very hard for me to enter)

You will have to re-enable auth and have to play 1 game instead of the 50 games - as long as you’ve done the 50 games before with sms auth on.

So don’t be afraid to disable SMS authenticator believing you’ll have to re-do the 50 games, you just have to do 1.

When that is said, i still find this system so vague and obnoxious. Poorly communicated for new top500’s.

How could you improve the communication?
In-game, under the competitive tab, where you can read about the rating decay, rating queue difference, etc etc there are room under top500 for information about the sms authenticator. As simple as “Must have SMS Authenticator enabled” would be enough for people to research before they potentially reach the rank.

And for people that have went through the 50 games with mobile auth on, could potentially be allowed to disable it without any problems or questions.

My use case should be used as an example, because i’ve been forced to use mobile auth AFTER i reached my legible rating, and now i’ve been forced to disable it due to technical issues with the Hearthstone app from traveling to a different country.

A lot of resources wasted on your support side, and also very negative influence on your dedicated player base that are interested in the higher competitive play.

I am currently at 3774 (Xbox EU), which is easily enough for T500, I have completed my 50 games. WHY am I not getting my symbol and my name in the leaderboards?

Xbox and PlayStation 4 are global regions so you are competing world wide for the status.

I am currently 4232 with 62 games played and sms protect on. I’m still waiting for the top500 to kick in and I was wondering how long it took.

Same for me, im at 4223 SR and have played 50 Games with SMS Protect on…

Why 50 matches after the protect? I played 6v6 elimination ranked 50 times (It was so hard) and I was able to pick top 500, but I need to play more 50 mathes beacuse I only discovrey this today, and that’s Impossible.

1 Like

This is to verify that account belongs at that rank, otherwise, players could enable and disable the feature on multiple accounts.

Dont you guys have cell phones?

Yup this should be for the whole comp ladder and it should ha e happened many seasons ago.

Blizzard is saying to protect people’s account but people in the know know this isn’t the real reason(s).

Lol at folks trying to use voip number. Of course they aren’t gong to allow that and it isn’t for your protection. But I am sure you knew that all ready.

Its not hard at all, on PS4 it REQUIRES you to make and link a battlenet account just to play

At the time of my post it was optional.

Back when i purchased the game for the ps4 in early 2017 it wasnt optional, it was required to start the game before i could even do the tutorial

Please help me. The new design is weird and i cant find where to enable sms protection and i need to know how to enable it. I should be top 100 on eu but i dont have this enabled. Its insane that i cant find any guides on how to enable it. I have spent hundreds of hours to reach this rank, and then there is a fricking security thing that i have to enable and play 50 games more. Nobody has told me that i needed to do this. Why is there not a warning sign in game

Yeah they are changing a few things. I will try to properly update this guide sometime.

1. Open your Blizzard Account Management page
  2. Select Account Details
  3. Go to the Phone section and select Add Phone Number
  4. You will receive a prompt to “Receive Security-Related Alerts”, be sure to enable that.

Once complete, you will need to play another 50 games with it enabled to qualify for Top 500.

It’d be nice to have alternate options to SMS. I’ve used a google voice number for years and it doesn’t permit using that for verification since it’s technically a VOIP number. My actual underlying number changes pretty frequently as I just hop onto whatever carrier has the best deal come up and link the new number to my GV phone number.

It’d be great if something like a yubikey could be used.

What Kind of «prompt» are you talking about?

There should be a checkbox offering to enable Security Alerts.

VoIP numbers cannot be used for two reasons. First, if say a user’s account was successfully hacked, the hacker could use a burner number to secure it and prevent it from being accessed by the original poster again. Secondly, leaderboard protocols like Overwatch PC top 500 is intended to keep individuals in that leaderboard. If SMS protect allowed VoIP numbers, then the whole purpose of using SMS Protect for the Top 500 would be defeated.

Can u get me a screenshot of it?

I am also not seeing where to enable security alerts. I enter my number, there’s the message “Your phone number has been successfully attached to your account.”, and that’s it.