"We Will Train Machines to Ban Offmeta Heroes!"

I’m a little disappointed that they’re only combating “toxicity” and not SR manipulators.

Yesterday I went against a 3 stack of derankers, complete with meme battletags. They were in “tryhard engaged” mode for my game, of course.

These are the players who need removed from the system and are the true detriment to my player experience. I can and do mute toxic players (and report them) so that I can at least forget about them and keep trying my best, but there’s nothing I can do when I get in a game against deranked Diamonds who decide it’s stomping time.

So it seems to me that, based on the sum of what we know,

A) Blizzard is implementing some kind of machine learning to help make reporting more effective.

B) They have hired at least one person who knows how to work with this stuff (i.e., they are not just flipping a switch and letting the system run amok)

C) They have expressed in the past that they do not want people reported or banned for hero choice alone. The uneven implementation of this in the past has been due to reports operating on sheer volume, with no way to verify their accuracy. (Almost like it would be helped by automated detection of a player making a reasonable contribution to the team… perhaps a machine that could learn what innocent players look like… :thinking: )

D) The statements about “protecting customers from false reports” and “recognizing that anyone can have a bad day” indicate that the devs are already thinking about mitigating possible undeserved consequences, and that they’re not interested in being draconian over minor or one-off offenses. Of course it doesn’t mean that such things will never accidentally happen, but it does mean they aren’t glibly implementing systems without caring about the fallout.

E) Blizzard is interested in making money and retaining customers, which is severely undermined by an unsupervised ban-bot being allowed to spuriously chuck people out of their customer base.

I think it’s totally fair to express hope or ask about what kind of safeguards the new system might have. But I do think it’s not very generous to raise those concerns on the assumption that it wouldn’t even be on Blizzard’s radar (“I don’t know if people realize”; “[the system] will mimic the majority of the community”; etc.)

The report system has already been at the mercy of the majority of the (loudest, most toxic) community; I’m pretty optimistic that incoming changes are being designed to blunt that, rather than intensify it.

People as in we, those who will be under the system, not people from blizzard, which was obvious, but you wanted to strawman me.

And if you continue that till the end, it says “if it is set up that way”.

It is dishonest to do what you did. If you want to show what i said, quote it with the context and in its entirety, don’t rip out words from the sentence.

The current reporting system was designed to remove toxicity and griefers, but with it, it ended up removing some one tricks and some off meta players. You can have faith in the system if you want, i prefer having results and being proactive to avoid bad situations, hence i made this topic.

Of course blizzard intends to do the best things possible. Unfortunately, it doesn’t always happen.

So what if it bans off-meta heroes? Blizzard themselves already ban people for that reason.

Then off meta players should be worried about it.

I was being sarcastic, but my point was banning off meta players is nothing new

1 Like

I…I don’t think Blizzard bans people for wanting to play Sombra? I think the thing you’re thinking of is just the constant issue with the “one trick” debate this community runs into all the time.

You aren’t wrong. But as you know, putting automation into some process usually makes the process faster and more efficient, i doubt people would like to hear that banning off meta will become faster and more efficient, as a possibility.

Nope, I’ve heard of people being banned for playing torb and symm and not just one-tricking them, but people who only play off meta.

So omnics are going to fix toxicity in overwatch. Very fitting :joy:

2 posts in and already we have godwins law.

I agree with you 100% I just think that Blizzard doesn’t care too much about that possibility.

1 Like

Source? Sorry, the only ones I’ve seen have been like one-trick Torbjorns getting 1200 reports on them (which is an obscene amount of reports).

Wraxu, one of the best hanzos, banned on stream. Why?

And after many an hour, the machine program was finished, and they saw it was good. So they called it “Skynet” …

1 Like

Was that the one where he got drunk and insulted Kephrii?

Jeff replying :wave:

Currently, everything considered “toxic chat” is verified by human beings. This post is extremely misleading and full of misinformation.

53 Likes