New developer post today. Game Director Jeff Kaplan responded to a thread on Reddit, hinting at possible changes to Baptiste’s Immortality Field:
Prinicipal Designer Josh Noh made a post on the forums today. Look toward D.Va getting possible changes soon.
He also address the concept of powercreep and perceptions about balance in the game:
Is it possible Overwatch 2 will be cross platform considering Blizzard working with Activision which just successfully produced a cross platform Call of Duty. Surely this would help maintain a stronger Overwatch community.
I figure it will happen, unless the legacy code of the matchmaker and servers is that difficult to rewrite. They’ve said before it is something they want to do, and they might implement cross profession as well while they’re at it.
It is far too early to say if it will or not.
Hey everyone, I have regrettable news, despite working non-stop I failed to capture screenshots of all old Blue posts from the old forums. Google Cache has since updated to where it is now doing snapshots of the new forums and the Internet Archives does not render the pages properly. I regret not getting this project done a long time ago.
I will be keeping a record of the archives for my personal reference, but I think the time has come to abandon maintaining this list since any new posts can be tracked in the Blizz and Dev Post trackers which is part of the new forum features. As always I will work to deliver information as fairly and accurate as possible when I work to answer questions and help explain why Overwatch works the way it does when it comes to its various features and policies. Thanks everyone for your participation and support in my efforts to make the Overwatch community a better place.
Cheers everyone! (^^)v
WIll OW2 have A soundtrack?
KF2 is a great game that I feel doesn’t lose its repetitive partially thanks its amazing soundtrack that plays while you mow down zeds… also the difficultly, perk system design, dosh value and other various factors…
I’ve reposted legacy MMR/SR/Matchmaking posts at Legacy Forum Posts.
Sir, it’s Rio de JANEIRO.
There are no options for each player to materialize one player once for the players in the team. For each materialization the players selected characters changes style and gets certain improvements. This would be very helpful for the team to select a libero for the game and decide if one player has 5 materializations to become the ultra boss for the enemy team to defeat, and when a player chooses to materialize another player the player has to increase the ability cooldowns with 1 second.
By having using the game idea which is meant to be in the Overwatch gameplay, from what it seems and feels like. I suggest that this is applied to the game, for a merrier and greater time to play and battle against other players.
Kind Regards, Alex Stenberg. (ARUBA)
Please, just remove aim assist. Controllers aren’t this terrible chunk of clunk anymore. We could contest mouse users of we were given a chance to actually improve, especially on a non-aim heavy game like Overwatch. Please just remove it so that everyone has the oppertunity to improve and get skillfull themselves.
Hello everyone! Long time catching up on this thread. First, I got all of the recent posts from Jeff Kaplan, Josh Noh, and Bill Warnecke throughout the month of January caught up (see below for the summary). Secondly, I think I have figured out how to recover all of the old forum posts from the Internet Archive even though the pages do not load correctly. I hope to have something completed by the end of this month if all goes well. Again I hope this archive is a great help to everyone!
Overwatch 2 Developer Responses
- Jeff Kaplan explains that Overwatch 2 will bring new gameplay for both PVE and PVP. - Jeff Kaplan - 2/3/2020 - Official Forums
- Jeff Kaplan hints that match-specific stats is likely to come with Overwatch 2. - Jeff Kaplan - 1/30/2020 - Official Forums
- Jeff Kaplan states they want to provide more helpful statistics to players in Overwatch 2. - Jeff Kaplan - 1/30/2020 - Official Forums
- Jeff Kaplan hints that they are discussing on adding a proper scoreboard for Overwatch 2. - Jeff Kaplan - 1/30/2020 - Official Forums
- Jeff Kaplan confirms that every story mission with have an intro and an outro. - Jeff Kaplan - 1/14/2020 - Official Forums
- Jeff Kaplan explains that the Rio De Janeiro Mission Intro and Outro from the Overwatch 2 play demo at BlizzCon 2019 are planned to be longer. - Jeff Kaplan - 1/14/2020 - Official Forums
- Hero pools may change to where they only affect upper ranks of Competitive Play. - Jeff Kaplan - 1/30/2020 - Official Forums
- Hero pools will not vary at each skill tier but might in the future. - Jeff Kaplan - 1/30/2020 - Official Forums
- Jeff notes the approach to the heroes decided will be refined over time. - Jeff Kaplan - 1/30/2020 - Official Forums
- Hero pools will never be limited down to 1 selectable hero per role - Jeff Kaplan - 1/30/2020 - Official Forums
- Hero pools will be decided by the development team and there will be some guideline to deciding what heroes are rotated out of the metagame each week. - Jeff Kaplan - 1/30/2020 - Official Forums
- Jeff Kaplan explains they are still introducing hero pools even if they are going to be more aggressively tackling hero balance and the perceived metagame for Overwatch as an effort to introduce player creativity. - Jeff Kaplan - 1/30/2020 - Official Forums
- A season-long (2-month) hero rotation is unlikely for hero pools. - Jeff Kaplan - 1/30/2020 - Official Forums
- Jeff Kaplan explains the reasoning for introducing Hero Pools and confirms it may not return for season 22 if it does not work out well for season 21 of Competitive Play. - Jeff Kaplan - 1/30/2020 - Official Forums
- Hero pools starting out may have a variable range of heroes restricted from Competitive Play in the first five weeks. - Jeff Kaplan - 1/30/2020 - Official Forums
- Hero pools may rotate faster than a week if needed. - Jeff Kaplan - 1/30/2020 - Official Forums
HOW LEAVERS AFFECT COMPETITIVE MATCHES
- Jeff Kaplan explains that Competitive matches are cancelled early when a player AFKs or disconnects early - Jeff Kaplan - 1/23/2020 - Reddit
Matchmaking | Role Queue
- Jeff Kaplan teases that the 1-3-2 role lock might be tested on the Experimentation playcard sometime when it comes out - Jeff Kaplan - 1/30/2020 - Official Forums
- Jeff Kaplan shares an extended experiment of the development team running playtests using a 1 tank, 3 damage, 2 support role lock and shares the benefits and disadvantages that system had. - Jeff Kaplan - 1/14/2020 - Official Forums
General Game Features
REQUESTED GAME FEATURES THAT ARE NOT LIKELY TO COME
- Jeff Kaplan gives a very detailed post about a Hero Pick and Ban System and why Overwatch is not likely to use one any time soon. - Jeff Kaplan - 1/22/2020 - Official Forums
- Jeff Kaplan explains that it would be extremely difficult to change Overwatch’s game structure to support more than 12 players. - Jeff Kaplan - 1/14/2020 - Official Forums
OTHER GAME FEATURE RESPONSES
- As of January 2020, there are no plans for new portrait borders beyond the Diamond 5-star - Jeff Kaplan - 1/30/2020 - Official Forums
DEVELOPER VIDEO UPDATES
- Introduction of the Experimentation Card and Hero Pools. Updates on anti-cheat intiatives, updates to Replay System, & minor Career Profile updates - Jeff Kaplan - 1/30/2020 - Developer Update Video
Public Test Region
- The Experimentation Play card is not a substitute for the Public Test Region and that major patch changes will still be tested on the PTR - Jeff Kaplan - 1/30/2020 - Official Forums
Hero Design Balance
General Hero Balance
- Josh Noh explains that the game at the time was not demonstrating an considerable amount of Power Creep versus that of the GOATs team composition from 2019. - Josh Noh - 1/8/2020 - Official Forums
- Josh Noh explains the importance of looking at Stats versus that of Player Feedback when determining hero balance changes for the game. - Josh Noh - 1/8/2020 - Official Forums
Reporting | Account Actions | Community Behavior
- The development team is looking to find ways to control alternate accounts on console platforms but any solutions are still a long way out. - Jeff Kaplan - 1/30/2020 - Official Forums
- Hero Pools in the live game will not be the same for during the 2020 season of the League. - Jeff Kaplan - 1/30/2020 - Official Forums
- Jeff Kaplan that any change that affects the Overwatch League is discussed with them. - Jeff Kaplan - 1/30/2020 - Official Forums
Non-Game Related Posts
Alright everyone, I have some really good news regarding the Dev Post Archive.
I have just completed the first step of a major project toward this archive. As you know at the beginning of this year, the old Overwatch forums was closed. Now the Internet Archive has these posts documented but due to some weird error, the pages will not display properly. I can however go in and look up the HTML of those pages and I have figured out a system to extrapolate the key posts and place them in a dedicated HTML page (which for the time being is setup on my personal website).
This is going to take time to complete all of the posts, but I now have the Competitive and Matchmaking responses now online for access. I encourage anyone who has time to check them out and let me know if you find any errors or if the pages are not displaying properly. Here is a couple of screenshots of how the new archive pages look:
Activision is a publisher… not a developer… Activision ruining Blizzard atm with: max profit with minimum invest mentality… I hope they wont touch Overwatch let our Jeff daddy handle OW things… we saw what happened to W3
Today, I have built the pages for the old forum responses for the Quick Play/Arcade/Training section and the Seasonal Event section.
Won’t have time to work on this tomorrow, but I hope to tackle the massive “General Game Features” section on Monday.
I have a question: We’ve been told OW1 cosmetics we’ve earned will carry over to OW2, but can we earn OW1 cosmetics in OW2?
That has yet to be revealed. Until we get any information, I am recommending all players to make every effort to collect all possible items as soon as possible.
I suspected as much. Tyvm for the quick answer anyhow!
- There will be at least one new hero releasing before the release of Overwatch 2.
I think it’s time for this to be edited
I am very behind on many tasks. This is now inaccurate yes.