Todays devs response to powercreep is Heartbreaking

In the current version of the game Genji is dependent on what his teammates as well as the enemy team are playing just to be able to function. Mei has no such handicaps. Thus is the state of the game and the power creep situation.

6 Likes

That would imply Mei would be getting played more than Genji, or at least would be winning more.

That is objectively not the case it seems.

2 Likes

You mean people shrieking on the forums may actually be -wrong-?! Say it aint so.

5 Likes

If they anything say worthwhile, maybe. But if every single post they make brings up criticism, that should be telling them something. That doesn’t mean stop talking to us, because then there’s zero communication which is still even worse since it shows they don’t care.

1 Like

Widowmaker requires a lot of warm up and is definitely not a hero that is even remotely decent on most maps where she doesn’t have good sightlines.

Doomfist isn’t a hitscan and requires a different kind of approach and also can’t deny space or contribute to shield break.

Mccree requires pocketing.

Ashe actually has lower dps and ttk than soldier.

Tracer is a flanker, and doesn’t contribute to shield break nor can she deny space like soldier can.

Soldier is also more consistent than hanzo at longer distances where highground is available (case in point - numbani 1st point defense).

Hey, thanks for trying to clarify this! I’m definitely hearing a ton of feedback over the last day and am learning a bunch from this experience.

I came to share my personal viewpoint, listen to the community, and try to make the game better together. I’m truly not attempting to callously disregard anyone’s concerns and say everything is fine.

I’m aware there are distinct increases in power across several aspects of the game such as raw healing output, the introduction of new heroes and mechanics, or things like Wrecking Ball’s extreme mobility. I don’t think this is inherently negative as balance is relative across a large number of factors. There have also been losses of power such as the recent barrier changes.

The idea I was trying to express (and failed to, clearly…) is that I don’t personally feel like there is an unreasonable amount of excessive power creep that makes the core gameplay not feel like Overwatch anymore.
For example, GOATS comp was getting in that space for me, not necessarily due to individual hero power increases but from the combined synergy of the comp moving away from feeling like a shooter.

167 Likes

Reminds me of the time I thought we had powdered crepes but we didn’t. Sad day. :expressionless:

5 Likes

If the conditions are right Genji has a team fight winning ult, IF the conditions are right. Mei on the other hand can be consistent throughout an entire game thus giving her more value for output, which means across the board shes play more by both sides which means her winrate would be more towards the middle. Genji on the other hand would likely look like he has higher winrates but that’s a trade off from a lack of consistent play. Current OW is built around high burst high sustain, neither of which genji has(and most of the damage roster for that matter) when he’s not blading.

4 Likes

Wow, more comments :slight_smile:

4 Likes

But most of us came and continued to play overwatch because we didn’t want just another shooter. There is plenty of that out there.

But appreciate your response.

43 Likes

GOATS turned Overwatch in a sorta wrestling match instead of anything resembling a shooter.

5 Likes

Here here! I agree with that one. It’s nice to get plenty of responses for a change but it’s certainly not how I imagine many of us wanted to see Overwatch be… yet another shooter. With a good number of messy reworks and odd balancing decisions you’re much better off just picking ‘damage’ role if you still want to play, not tank or support, these days. Heroes like Hanzo have been left overpowered for a long time and that’s just one problem among a number of problems right now.

5 Likes

no, there really isn’t. unless you consider battle royale to be a shooter, i dont.

the rest of the FPS space is tired old games that refuse to die.

Did the feedback change your perspective at all?

You might be right, but even then I think we can make significant improvements to the ‘core gameplay’.

For example, how much design space do you think is reasonably available to keep buffing McCree’s damage until he reaches the middle of the pack for winrate in literally any rank? I’m of the opinion little to none. This is where Hanzo is at right now and it seems like he’s about to catch a nerf, so clearly there are underlying problems we’re looking to you to solve/address. No pressure.

7 Likes

And thats how you solve a dispute or misunderstanding

Clarifying it

19 Likes

do you think something like paladins’ assembly of champions is possible?

1 Like

Yeah, when Jeff said recently that he felt Symmetra was massively overpowered hence her 7 nerfs in a row… that was a real gut punch…

4 Likes

Would you say its a fair assessment to make, if i said the balance philosophy moved away from being statistically balanced and the heroes should be fun to play as more torwards whether or not something is fun to play against and if the community becomes very vocal about something, it might get nerfs or buffs regardless if its actually necessary based on your data?

Thank so much for clarifying.

3 Likes

Again, you are implying that Mei has a higher pickrate, which in turn leaves Genji at a higher winrate.

Objectively speaking, neither are true. I’m not really sure how many more times I need to repeat this.

1 Like