Hero pools is a brave and holistic change

Is there any other popular community requested feature we might end up seeing in ow2?

1 Like

My guess is they don’t trust player not to just ban the same heroes all the time. This way, at least it changes every week (or however long it ends up being) rather than everyone just banning… like hanzo for instance. Then no one gets to ever play hanzo. With the hero pool you don’t end up with a ban meta.

3 Likes

I’m sorry but I can’t see how any of this is “fun” or “exiting”. I love tanking. And outside my horrible D.Va I love using all the tanks.

I have built my play style around being able to flex between tanks depending on map, team comp, and enemy team comp.

Limiting the tanks I can use AND maps I play on is too much.

Perhaps some people hate facing certain hero’s and comps but I cant say I do. Sometimes it can be frustrating sure but not anywhere near where I’d want those hero unplayable. For me or the enemy.

I wont be returning for Season 21. If the community likes it then good for them but not this guy. Not with the limited amount of tanks we have.

6 Likes

Thats the exact reason I “two” trick. I never really wanted to play widow. I started playing her due to her hyper carry potential when mastered. I grind hours on her daily. Sombra was my first main because she brought me to the game. I dont like playing tracer, I dont like Mcree’s or Mei’s cheap play style. I wanna carry the game with the hero im best at, if Im getting countered I swap to my other main (you know “adapt”). If i cant do that then gg not playing this game.

which game? Lawbreakers? Paladins? prolly the closest to overwatch. Does it have widow or sombra in it? no? ok thank yo kanye very cool.

1 Like

Exactly this. People just wont play, because a very large number of people like to play their favorites.

I can also see it coming. People screaming for longer times to keep heros out that they don’t like.

Also, what is this going to do to the balance of the game? Heros being locked out that could very well help against a certain team makeup?

I think it will frustrate people more than it will help.

1 Like

we work closely with OWL on all decisions. we’d just chat with them.

21 Likes

I do like stats but will the gold medal system be removed in OW2? I can’t stand it

3 Likes

I feel like the status quo is a consequence of solo queue and that full stacks are in a better position to experiment. Is there anything in the works to promote such gameplay?

4 Likes

Hmm, What’s this? The OverWatch Team is finally fed up with “Nerf (x) Meta Hero” Post. Anytime they do, its the same result. “Nerf Killed (x) Meta Hero in (x) Rank”.

Minutes ago, I was a neigh-sayer (Semi-OTP), but this feature could be the formula to better balance change that all players can adapt to.
They’re keeping the New Year Revolution!

2 Likes

Is there any possibility for crossplay and native mouse and keyboard support coming to consoles now that all 4 platforms allow crossplay?

Jeff pls yell at whoever is in charge of building a public facing overwatch api and tell them to give us access for or before ow2 :frowning:

1 Like

we’re curating the list ourselves. we have some philosophies and guidelines we’ll be following (and evolving as we hear your feedback). we will do our best to be judicious and make sure no hero is getting the “horizon” treatment, as with our map pools…

56 Likes

Hypothetically they can pull focused data from QP and QPC as well to learn about meta. Additionally because metas are frequently tied to a small handful of problematic heroes the meta issues will emerge whenever they are available to pick and disappear when they aren’t available.

I love all the talking jeff, its great to see you so out and about on the forums, I hope your enjoying yourself as well!

2 Likes

So I keep seeing this argument, so hoping you could answer for me. Not to call you out specifically, just curious of the logic.

Ok so lets say you’re a Plat level tank right now. However you ONLY play Sigma. With this new feature Sigma may be off limits for a week and suddenly you drop like you described. So are you REALLY a plat tank player? Or are you just a Plat Sigma player posing as a plat Tank player?

I ask this because what has been established many times by Jeff and his team is that OW is and was always meant to be a game of switching heroes constantly and on the fly to adapt to situations. Not to brute force your way through situations with heroes that don’t suit it. This game was SUPPOSED to be made for flex players to be stronger than one tricks, but right now its the opposite. Folks who play mainly one hero exceptionally well rank higher than a flex player. This goes DIRECTLY against what the game was meant to be no?

4 Likes

How will you be choosing which heroes don’t make it into the pool? Will it be heroes that are “meta” or will it be a bit more random than that? Or a combination of the two?

Also, (unrelated) looking forward to whomever the next hero is. Wanna give us a tease while you’re active on the forums? :wink:

This, I really like. So, you guys are testing the waters. That’s awesome. Knowing you’re taking this approach, as well as you sounding more open to reverts (as you mentioned in the dev update), and even doing stuff like the experimentation card, is really exciting to see.

Personally, I have a much better time being open to an idea when I know it’s just something to try out. What used to make me nervous, in this game, is when something hit the PTR, It was almost guaranteed to come to live. So, I felt like that no matter what any of us did or said, we would just have to deal with whatever was coming.

This, though, this is good. It feels like you’re having more give and take with us. And I appreciate that. Thank you for taking the time to post here.

For what it is worth, I think every day would be an amazing idea. One week feels like a lot for people to go without playing their best or favorite hero. And, changing it every match, I think would be too chaotic.

Every day seems like it would meet a nice sweet spot. But, of course, that’s just my opinion based on what we know so far. We’ll have to test it out to really be sure.

Again, thank you for posting here.

1 Like

Work? Sure. They’re doing the job.

Hard? Def not, i see a huge curve around what is the ‘straight road’ of player wants.

The only one that worked hard on this change was the graphic designer for the experimental card look.

And I care because?

I have other things to do. If I can’t have fun playing Overwatch, I’ll do something else. (And no, playing Dva and Sombra in silver isn’t a replacement from playing Mercy in plat.)

If they don’t care that I leave the game, more power to them.

3 Likes

Speaking of OW2, has there been any thought about a Competitive Classic mode added to the game as maybe an arcade mode?