Upgrading Your Version of Shadowlands

To answer some questions in regards to the Collector’s Edition and its content:
In the coming months, we will announce our retail-only Collector’s Edition to commemorate the release of Shadowlands, featuring everything in the Epic Edition, and more!

We have seen some questions about how upgrades will work for the different versions of Shadowlands. While the process is similar to the last expansion, we want to take a moment to clarify how upgrades will work for some of the most common situations.

Upgrading from Any Digital Version to Collector’s Edition
If you purchase any digital copy of Shadowlands (Base, Heroic, or Epic), and then upgrade to the Collector’s Edition in the future, we will automatically credit you the cost of the digital copy in Blizzard Balance - as long as you enter the Collector’s Edition key before a future deadline. When you enter the key from your Collector’s Edition, we will see the original transaction on your account and the credit will be added. We will have details on this deadline when we have more information to share regarding the Collector’s Edition.

Upgrading from Base Edition to Heroic or Epic Edition then to Collector’s Edition
If you purchase the Base Edition of Shadowlands, then upgrade to the Heroic or Epic Edition, and THEN upgrade to the Collector’s Edition, your Blizzard Balance will be the price you paid for the original Base Edition.

Upgrading from Heroic to Epic Edition then to Collector’s Edition
If you purchase the Heroic Edition of Shadowlands, then upgrade to the Epic Edition, and THEN upgrade to the Collector’s Edition, your Blizzard Balance will be the price you paid for the original Heroic Edition.

Upgrading from Base Edition to Heroic or Epic Edition
If you purchase the Base Edition of Shadowlands, you will be able to upgrade to the Heroic or Epic Edition for the difference in cost between the versions.

36 Likes

Hi.

Nothing more really needed to be said. Just hi.

And yes, the epic version is great.

PS: Adding transmog+Illusions to the pre-order =

12 Likes

So essentially, don’t upgrade at all if you intend to purchase the collector’s edition at a later date (since you won’t be compensated for any heroic / epic upgrade).

32 Likes

Good breakdown

This, and that seems very scummy that they won’t refund both the base game and upgrade(s).

27 Likes

It’s definitely going to catch some players out.

4 Likes

Already got the epic edition last week. Now I play the waiting game.

4 Likes

Maybe I’m not understanding something correctly, but it seems backwards that you wouldn’t be credited for the heroic or epic edition if you upgraded from the base then got the CE… it’s literally the same price as buying those editions straight up, so what exactly is the reasoning behind only crediting the price of the base edition?

15 Likes

More money for them obviously.

6 Likes

Please fix the typos from your copy and paste. It’s giving me anxiety. Appreciate the info. Thank you.

1 Like

aka you pay twice and we give you have your money …to only be used at blizzard stores.

10 Likes

I don’t really see a reason why people that make two separate purchases prior to attaching CE should lose their money. They paid the same amount for the Epic version that I might but they get less of a Bnet balance refund. The logic simply doesn’t add up.

Even if this were due to a technical limitation, such limitations are able to be overcome with development effort. There’s nothing that makes handling this scenario the right way impossible for you, Blizz. Appreciate that you’re continuing the policy from BFA but this is certainly an area where it needs refinement.

11 Likes

This was the answer I was looking for. The final seal to be broken to unleash the funds from my account ~ :ghost: Shadowlands shall beckon before us! :ghost:

Thankyou for answering the queries we had in regards to this! :grin:

2 Likes

First: I’m planning on getting Epic Edition, so I have no dog in this fight.

This is not acceptable.

We have a good period of time before the game comes on sale. Why would you not give them BNet balance for all of the upgrades? It’s not like there is a difference in money from buying the Base and upgrading to Epic Edition.

20 Likes

Bornakk, I have a bit of an odd question.

I created a US account in 2004, but moved to europe in 2011. So far I’ve been previously able to get a EU collector’s ed then contact customer service to ‘use’ the code but activate the US collector’s ed.

Recently, that was turned into just double dipping and going for digital and collector’s ed (impatience at wanting to play immediately :stuck_out_tongue: )

The issue with this method is actually the blizzard balance. Due to my account being US, but my battle.net account location is EU, I am unable to add or remove any blizzard balance, nor am I able to turn my WOW gold into blizz balance at all.

In this case, if I were to spend Euros to get a digital version (this works fine) and then get a collector’s edition and upgrade to that, would I get blizz balance for the initial digital purchase or would my location situation cause trouble?

edit: and does the collector’s edition have the same digital rewards as the epic edition?

Oh right you mean like in legion where you guys said that we would get our money back and then changed it to you will get a key to give to a friend… yeah not falling for that one this time. I was lucky to have a friend to give the key but I know several people who could not do anything with it but either give it away or let it rot. So yeah you are not double dipping me this time Blizzard.

6 Likes

Guessing you missed the fact that they did the Bnet balance refund for BFA’s CE. There’s 0% chance they go back to restoring a fresh base game key.

no, what it means is… Get the Epic version and nothing less. Don’t stagger the upgrades. Base then heroic then epic. That way the Original Transaction is only the Epic version. :thinking:

3 Likes

I already have the Epic edition of Shadowlands. So If I buy collectors edition they will give me $80 blizzard balance back?

2 Likes