The PERFECT endgame solution!

Easy

I wish endgame was just a bit spicier

‪We need an endgame mechanic that, games created with Baal quest completed have the remaining unactivated mobs get harder and harder the more cleared the game is.

Let’s call it King of the Hell in reference to king of the hill’s last man standby mechanic

Like playercount, unactivated monsters still can be modified. Meaning they can be buff up until you activate them

for example: PER % cleared monsters gain +%8 life, 5% xp, +2%dmg, +1% resist(cap 95 to avoid generating immune) and some loot bonus(mf&noloot). ‬ also areas under lvl85 gain +1mlvl each 4% cleared up to 85, then when all areas are at least 85, the +1mlvl applied to all

So based on those Placeholder values, if you have cleared 80% of the game, all hell areas will at least be 85, monsters will have % increased life, 160% increased damage, at least all their resist up to 95

Then you have special tokens that randomly drop throughout the game that when you have the right ingredients unlocks special areas that can be open through cube recipe but only at a certain %game cleared threshold

Ie:

• cube something in harrogath corner at 75% to face Bul Kathos revived by nilatak

• cube something near the tainted glasses of act 4 at 85% to turn it into a portal that leads to Diablo 1 hell architecture map filled with sucubus and doom knights

• cube something in town with at least 95% game cleared to turn all remaining monsters into clones of bosses (boss mod)

And at 99% it could generate a special event.

• Could be a Super Special boss Spawn that drops a special item. For example, Tathamet using the model of Reziarfg http://classic.battle.net/diablo2exp/monsters/act5-reziarfg.shtml

or

• All remaining monsters turn into Bosses (Like bossMod)

‪This makes all alvl85 which makes the whole game farmable‬

• It incites people in staying in the same game

• favours party play

• incentivize killing monsters rather than skipping them over more rewarding ones

• less stress on servers caused by spamming new games

• insanely challenging content

• solves the boredom of 99 grind by introducing all monsters in the mix to the time sacrifice of setting up your game

Ps: as always, if you like certain topics, wether it’s mine or other people, don’t just drop a like, reply to them, that’s the only way to keep them rolling in these broken forums with no bump mechanic. I don’t care about likes, I prefer visibility of good ideas

1 Like

Yawn. Must have got bored with daily massive change threads and strawpolls on Reddit. As to this one, no.

For one, this would be a massive pain to code, and at that point, just make a new difficulty mode, which is fairly dumb without addressing the core issues of party play (the loot). The balancing of the current game difficulty has become better, if not quite there. You throw another mode into the mix, making stuff stronger, you have to make the heroes stronger to keep game balance fair, dramatically throwing the power creep scaling out of whack ala D3 GR Scaling to Set Bonus Scaling.

The game just got a glut of new 85 areas for players to farm, already incentivizing staying in games longer. Even if they opened the entire map to 85, players are still going to do the runs that they enjoy or are meta farming such as Trav.

I do see more endgame content coming in D2Rs future, but I believe it will be more based around new Uber boss quests. I just hope they make these more party incentivized as opposed to cheese soloing like Uber Trist or Dclone sitting in a private room when server is hot.

1 Like

Lol this forum hasn’t changed… starts directly with personal attacks then proceed to show he doesn’t understand the suggestion

It wouldn’t be a mess to code since it already exists in the form of playercount

My suggestion is rewarding staying in the game for longer… the new area lvl85 they added don’t, it’s just options, most of them are bad too

People that have spent 1h in a game, killing 70% of the monsters will have no reason to leave for another game unless it’s becoming too hard for them. Even if the 30% remaining are bad areas… they are now alvl85 with xp and loot bonus

People wouldn’t leave because they would loose their progress…

1 Like

It’s been almost 24 hours and you have not had a bite besides me on this. I’d say those folks that still pay attention to the forums have gotten weary from your constant daily spam of novella long massive change ideas, and strawpolls. Many probably might still have you on ignore. There are a few others that gave up on this, or come around just on occasion to whine that the game didn’t get completely redone or have been completely remodeled after a mod. Some of y’all will NEVER be happy with the updates that D2R gets, because you expected this to be the next big mod as opposed to a patch by patch based update to vanilla.

Now to address your thingy more in depth:
Your concept is not unlike the idea of Nephalem Valor stacks that D3 once used; staying in game with a heightened benefit. Now the problem, is even with players 8, people don’t usually focus on white mobs; they go after Champions, Uniques, Super Uniques, and Act Bosses, depending on white their goal is (such as Cows for runes, or purely Magic Finding for items). They gain benefit from the white mobs and minions around the packs with the heightened player count, but most of these don’t utilize their drop table based on player count.

The second issue with this, is that this would be better suited to a new difficulty as opposed to a trigger when Hell Baal Quest is completed. Let us take an example of an open game that is “Act 2 Walk” and a high level player enters the game, kills Hell Baal for Quest while the main party is still in Act 2. Now that messes up the game for them; instead of waiting until they get to WSK to remake game, they have to remake immediately because the game’s mechanics changed on them due to the Quest Trigger being met.

Once you’ve met that quest trigger, all games that that character creates will now work under the new mechanics, which now also messes with drop rates. It no longer is an option to go into an 85 zone, as all zones will be 85 from the get go, which also messes with how you built your character, especially if your character is not solo ready for 85 zones. With increasing scale as you describe, it becomes closer to the idea of GRs from Diablo 3, and messes with character diversity as it encourages more meta build to survive the new mechanics, especially for a player that already farms multiple zones in a game before going to the next.

As for party play, it still wouldn’t encourage it. You’d still get split groups playing solo in their own zone, which also encourages meta character builds as the game gets more cleared, the game gets harder and thus requires these meta classes to be efficient.

The idea is just bad, it forces a gameplay mechanic upon players, and even NV mechanic was removed instead of nerfed in the RoS pre-patch.

If I were you, it might be fun to learn how to mod, and create these mods yourself since you seem to have a ton of imagination and a huge change wishlist. While these mods might not be multiplayer, you would get a chance to create your perfect version of D2 and see how well it is received against the original.

2 Likes

It seems OP still hasn’t learned how to handle criticism very well, despite how much he has received from all the drastic change threads he’s started. One would think he’d be a pro handling critics by now. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I quit paying attention to his threads there for awhile, because they were so massive and just too much. I’m for changes, I think you know my stance. D2R has met my 3 major hopes for the game, hence why I played the hell out of it for 6 months with an occasional break here and there before hitting my recent burnout point. If I was to choose 3 more major things I want for D2R moving forward, they’d be pretty simple:
An optional personal loot system that makes sense and is not as unrewarding as just simple allocation, and not drastic as p8 instanced; aka makes me want to actually do my quests in a group before I do solo target farming as opposed to just doing everything solo besides Baal runs.
Shared Stack Tab
Better balancing for melee; either by a small buff to exceptional/elite weapon bases, or by some better damage scaling for the melee skills.

Wouldn’t mind seeing some other stuff like optional charm inventory that has a drawback, some new end game bosses, etc, but I think Blizzard has a good idea on where their internal development road map is by now.

1 Like

How ironic from a guy that spew hundreds of words every reply lol

And where are the moderators when there are people derailing topics with personal attacks lol

I could write a trilogy with words. You could write a trilogy on mechanics changes alone; no thoughts or rationalization of ramifications included. Your threads were massive, sweeping changes, constantly. You wanted a game rewrite, not an update.

1 Like

Lol

Improving stuff that already exists isn’t a rewrite

Nobody is asking for machine guns or to change the lore nor drastic changes to everything like medianXL

Pod and PD2 are pretty good examples of Improvement while keeping Diablo 2 itself

Perfect end game solution = Take inspiration from Path of Diablo and Project Diablo 2 mods.

How can there be a solution when there is no end game?

Can’t say I’m a fan of the Endgame mapping

It feels boring and out of context for Sanctuary

I really like the idea of first of all make the original areas A endgame

Then maybe add contextual side areas

Ie: clear 70% of the game to spawn a Hell lieutenant, he has a chance to drop a portal scroll to his region of hell

But having random portals to vast maps doesn’t stick

You can’t make the original areas endgame because they have to consider natural playthrough/progression from Act 1-5 Hell. If every area was mlvl85 for example, it would be game changing for a new character to go from nightmare to hell.

Maps allow them to have a new world map without the limitations.

Tell me you haven’t read the suggested endgame without telling me you haven’t read it

They clearly read it, just because they don’t like your idea doesn’t mean they didn’t read it.

Sounds like fun to me. A bonus is that it encourages clearing lots of zones in a game, instead of the more standard approach of picking a farming zone, completing it, restarting, etc. In other words, it would incentivize varying your farm content instead of repeating the same thing and doing nothing else.

However it’s done, I want to be able to tradeoff increasing the difficulty for getting more loot per run. Like in PoE where the map tokens are moddable and each mod makes the zone harder (i.e. “all monsters get +20% damage” or “all your curses reflect back on you”) and adds a loot bonus for the run. Sort of like being able to increase the p level from players=1, which we can’t do because they want to encourage grouping in a game where the servers are like a ghost town.

There already is incentive to kill monsters besides uniques, super uniques and bosses. Yeah they don’t have the best odds of dropping nice items, but when you can kill them in droves, the numbers quickly add up.

I’m not saying go out of your way to kill a couple of trash monsters down the long dead end hall, but rather saying kill the things along the way to the super unique or boss targets.

Yes there is incentive to kill large numbers of trash mobs. It’s called cows. Wealth building is great there. It’s also a colossal bore to farm. I know, I’ve gotten well over 1000 cows runs in.

I wasn’t talking about killing trash v. bosses. I was talking about varying the farm content. His proposed system would mean that as you kill mobs anywhere on hell, the remaining unkilled mobs get harder and harder, with both loot and xp increasing. This would encourage people to farm all of hell difficulty instead of just repeating one zone. Sounds good to me, as repeating one zone gets awfully monotonous, no matter what zone it is.

Can this be implemented with mods for single player? Sounds fun. I don’t know if I’d go as far as subjecting all D2R players as there are a lot of purists in the game.

I think it’d be cool (and I’d pay money for), a workshop type of thing so I can casually make mods kind of like the workshop for xcom 2, something like that. Real mod support.

This thread and all like it can be summed up easily… Re-Buff cows, and Buff ubers even more, have the areas give experience again.
End game areas already exist, they just need to buff them up and make them relevant again instead of just nostialgia for cows with a chance of rune, or a torch fest.