The level 99 grind should change

According to Mr. Llama at least:

It’s been this way for 20 years but now he wants it to change? Seems like sour grapes for not being the first to 99 on the ladder.

7 Likes

I just saw it, i agree that the current system (and the old one) for reach 99 is straight boring, zero competitive, its not a challenge, its just something that requires a great organization and a lot of people.

I think that mrllamasc missed commenting on something that is important to me, blizz fixed that to pass act4 now you have to do complete act3 not only do travi + meph and gogo. That was a right in my opinion, they should do the same with the ancients quest, if you want to pass the difficulty level you must do it yes or yes, dont allow ancients to skip.

4 Likes

And we have the solution here

But ssf also has to be a thing

3 Likes

For a player who did it in what, a week, and with all the help he got… He really shouldnt be complaining, 99 has always meant something in this game to a manual player, maybe earlier on and not so much now, 21 years later… But it really should stand for something

1 Like

But if it’s boring and a pain the the rear with all the assistance, doing solo is even worse

What a stupid mechanic to be forced to kill a specific monster otherwise you get pretty much nothing

2 Likes

That part can change, but the overall grind should be painful and take time to achieve.

2 Likes

Why painful?

Hard, yes… but with should it be a painful process lol

My solution solves everything on that issue

The game would be better overall

Blizzard needs to fix the issue regarding the secondary EXP scalar that is currently in place. That is what makes the grind so bad for getting to 99. And considering how short ladder seasons are going to be, that scalar needs to go, at least in some form. My original suggestion on that front was to make the scalar work like this (if they intend to keep it):

8 players: Scalar is at 100% (current values)
7 players: Scalar is at 87.5% of current values.
6 players: Scalar is at 75% of current values.
5 players: Scalar is at 62.5% of current values.
4 players: Scalar is at 50% of current values.
3 players: Scalar is at 37.5% of current values.
2 players: Scaler is at 25% of current values.
Solo: No secondary scalar active.

A grind for the sake of being a grind isn’t “standing for something”, it’s just tedium. And in light of the very short ladder seasons for D2R, not conducive to incentivizing players that might be on the fence but are turned off because they’ll never “complete” a character at even a basic level. Fully fleshing out a character build is the cornerstone of RPGs, and this game does have RPG elements in it.

3 Likes

Well I guess thats subjective, call it many different things… But there is nothing wrong with a little mind pain for something that you will feel is very worth it in the end!

But grinding to 99 is the least rewarding thing in the game

The thing that’s worth it the least

Most builds are already completed by then

You also spend as much time grinding for a single level that you spent for the other 98

If skills or synergies were affected by you player level, maybe

If level had something to do with crafting… maybe

If your base stats were influenced by your level… maybe

If the last 5 levels had special perks… maybe

But we got none of this

1 Like

Says who? You? Great, thats your opinion… Others are entitled to their own take of what is rewarding, and what isnt.
For me, back in the day, hitting 99 on my Paladin was a massive reward for the long hours and grind.
I dont care as much anymore, but some players, may be their first ever, and that can and should be pretty rewarding!

If they change the goalposts now, it cheapens what someone did years ago. Perhaps its different with D2R. But once again, that isnt yours, or anyone elses job to inform them.

It does. Clvl 92 min to obtain the max number of mods.

2 Likes

This isn’t D3.

The reason the race to 99 is so hard is because it is out of reach of nubs and casuals.

You need a full team of 7 or 8 players running with special rules.

The Leecher has the anni and wand for 15% XP and is the only one with leader at Baal kill for max XP.

Each team member in party has his/her part to play.

and

These guys run for 10 + hours a day until the leecher hits 99.

2 Likes

Character level has nothing to do with the crafting formulae

Hmmm… friend has several characters, all at/under lvl88…
He often gets me to craft his stuff, and always comments they are much better than what he can craft.

It has everything to do with the range of mods the crafted recipes roll though.

A little Googling found this pretty quickly.

The ilvl of the crafted item is floor(.5 * clvl) + floor(.5 * ilvl).

This ilvl is used for the determination of the number of affixes:

Quote:At ilvls 1-30, there’s a 40% chance of 1 affix and a 20% chance each of 2, 3 or 4 affixes.
At ilvls 31-50, there’s a 60% chance of 2 affixes and a 20% chance each of 3 or 4 affixes.
At ilvls 51-70, there’s an 80% chance of 3 affixes and a 20% chance of 4 affixes.
At ilvls 71+, there’s a 100% chance of 4 affixes.

The ilvl is also used together with the qlvl of the base item to determine the alvl, which determines what affixes the item can have.

2 Likes

It is a challenge if you don’t cheat like the streamers.

1 Like

Its cause hes pissed he came in 2nd on the first ladder season.

1 Like

What I do think is an interesting idea is adding a harder difficulty just for leveling to 99. BUT HAVE NO DROPS. Do not make it the meta to farm gg gear. This should be just for those attempting high ladder. A dropless, insane difficulty mode.

My opinion is to lower the 70 and above exp penalty, and lower the multiplayer exp bonus in hell difficulty.

1 Like