Online difficulty scaling (ODS) revisited

There is an online difficulty scaling. Every act the monsters scale up in power and difficulty, and that continues after you beat Baal the first time. Heck, it happens even after you been Baal a second time and continues all the way to Baal the third time.

1 Like

here’s a secret and you can like it or hate it:

when ladder resets, make summon necro. you can lead a group through norm/nm/hell diff.

sell your hellforge runes for fg (the part you will hate i’m sure).

farm hell chaos and keep selling anything valuable.

after a cpl weeks you will have a lot of fg.

SSF for the next cpl weeks.

about a month into ladder, prices will all be low and you can buy all the gear you want and be gg super saiyan gosu gamer and stop crying.

it’s about how u play the game/market, it’s not about drop rates or even how much time you have to play really.

notice how what i’m describing involves trading, not finding all the items you want while playing solo… it’s a trading game

even if you do find something really good that you want to hold onto early on, it’s better to short the market… get rid of it, you can buy it back later way cheaper

if you don’t like to trade then play offline there’s a difficulty slider there

2 Likes

Players 8 online would be cool. Just make sure the command doesn’t influence drop rates.

Another scenario where TCP/IP would be great.

You want increased difficulty but (presumably) you still want to play with other people, that’s where TCP would come in. You could use a mod that increases the difficulty and play with a friend or two, or you don’t even need a mod actually. You could just set the player count higher whenever you want.

I would prefer TCP/IP to be reimplemented instead of the player command added to Bnet.

1 Like

The truth hurts.

Also, WeeBee 6 posts? Smells like an alt account to me.

The points have already been made.

Instead of having 100k bots / 8 for max MF. You’ll have 100k bot games, with each bot running their own /players8.

I’m not waiting in a 30min+ queue for a bunch of bot games.

I don’t know about player command

Why not keep playercount bonus to real players in the game which gives a motivation for community gameplay

And have a layer of difficulty that has similar mechanics as playercount but you have to work for it rather than just type a command

This mechanic gives you that and it also has plenty of benefits like giving a challenging endgame and giving players a fun reason to visit every areas of the game, not just the alvl85 with high density

Sure, as long as you don’t touch the drop rate for anything, and only the difficulty. Sounds great. People that want a challenge can have at it.

Otherwise it’s just rewarding people with P2W gear a better loot table. Pass.

How paranoid somebody has to be to deny a gameplay buff to the whole playerbase on the ground that a fringe minority of cheaters can enjoy it…

It gives a better farming ground for everybody… with or without it, P2w people will buy items no matter what

Your thinking is flawed and obscured

"Yeah bro, let us give even more of an edge to the bots, maphackers and D2jsp P2Wers. How paranoid are you bro? Just let us break the game bro.

Your thinking is like, silly and stuff bro."

-kay.

I would love to play a game entirely designed by you. Just so I can avoid having to pay my heating and light bill when I witness what an absolute dumpster fire it would be.

Keep the loot table the same for every player. If you want a greater challenge, then play with one hand.

Allowing P8 would destroy online multiplayer incentive, spike bot games by 8x, and imagine logging on and knowing your farming efforts are trash because you don’t have the gear to push into Hell psuedo-rift lvl 135 for the real GG loot drop tables.

Trash design.

Who the hell talked about gated loot lol

It’s still the same loot

Just that you are rewarded with more of it if you play harder content

Which overall end up pretty much the same because of you take 1sec killing a monster getting 1item, then you increase the difficulty to a point where it takes you 3 sec killing a monster which gets you 2 items… wow much profit to bots

But you are too paranoid with bots… you are the one letting the bots ruining your gameplay… just play the game and ignore their existence

Potentially infinite scaling difficulty for better loot drop chances?
Ah yes, all the minor balancing in 2.4 to make niche fun builds more viable in Hell difficulty. Let’s just undo all of that with ever increasing difficulty and even more striation of build viability for the sake of clearing. With just one idea you nuke so much hard work.

Keep Diablo 3 out of Diablo 2.

Thx.

Lol paranoid much

Nobody talked about diablo 3…

Nightmare and hell difficulty exist as harder content in D2

Single player player command exists as harder content in D2

Nobody talked about infinite scaling

This just proves that you didn’t read my topic before bashing it lol

Why was a new thread needed for another p8 online cry baby… just play single player…

Because Sekscalibure had to get on his alt account so people would actually respond to it.

1 Like

Oh so business as usual lol

I don’t know if you’re trying to be obtuse, or you know that it completely torpedoes your angle, but this is essentially exactly that.

Are you ok mate? Low on sugar, lack of oxygen or knocked your head?

You are aware that there is a finite amount of monsters in a Specific game…

And even that… the way this mechanic determine the bonus is based on a % of them which also invalidates infinite scaling

And on top of that, being based on remaining monsters make it so that the greater the buffs are, the fewer monsters are left to benefit from them

I don’t know how much math you’ve done, or how easily you understand the meaning of language.

When someone says “infinite scaling” they’re referring to a difficulty spike that resembles an exponential or linear function that increases to an upper limit. The ceiling can be raised or lowered, but the curve or line can be extrapolated beyond this to demonstrate the trend outside the cap. Why is this important?

In Diablo 3, they had Torment, then it went up, and up, and up, and up. To the point where they even added Greater Rifts inside of this system.

It doesn’t matter if there is a finite number of monsters that arbitrarily raise the difficulty to a hard cap, the point is, people will eventually hit that hard cap, and ask for ever increasing difficulties.

So, I know shortsightedness is a talent of yours, and my logic may seem to you as “lack of oxygen” etc. but the end result of your designed system is Torment 16. Not tomorrow, not 6 months from now, but eventually.

This has ruinous effects on build viability and diversity, and creates a monumental task for game devs to balance classes. How about you take all of your “cutting edge” ideas over to the D4 forums inside the D3 forums. I’m sure they’ll take to your ideas much more warmly.

3 Likes

I wasn’t expecting less from you

“Don’t add content because some people will eventually complete it”

11/10 logic

As if creating mobs with higher numeric values would make them anything other than hp sponges, and you called this content.

Like I said, dumpster fire.

Anyway, rest easy that none of your ideas will ever make it to D2R. If you spent more time finding the flaws in them, and correcting it accordingly, you’d eventually have a good idea.

Good ideas don’t happen, they’re untested ideas that have to be submitted through rigorous trials. If left standing, it becomes a “good idea”. If you spent less time flooding the forums with so many bad ideas, you might find time to test one into a good idea.

Not bumping this alt account thread of yours any more.

4 Likes