Online difficulty scaling (ODS) revisited

Potentially infinite scaling difficulty for better loot drop chances?
Ah yes, all the minor balancing in 2.4 to make niche fun builds more viable in Hell difficulty. Let’s just undo all of that with ever increasing difficulty and even more striation of build viability for the sake of clearing. With just one idea you nuke so much hard work.

Keep Diablo 3 out of Diablo 2.

Thx.

Lol paranoid much

Nobody talked about diablo 3…

Nightmare and hell difficulty exist as harder content in D2

Single player player command exists as harder content in D2

Nobody talked about infinite scaling

This just proves that you didn’t read my topic before bashing it lol

Why was a new thread needed for another p8 online cry baby… just play single player…

Because Sekscalibure had to get on his alt account so people would actually respond to it.

1 Like

Oh so business as usual lol

I don’t know if you’re trying to be obtuse, or you know that it completely torpedoes your angle, but this is essentially exactly that.

Are you ok mate? Low on sugar, lack of oxygen or knocked your head?

You are aware that there is a finite amount of monsters in a Specific game…

And even that… the way this mechanic determine the bonus is based on a % of them which also invalidates infinite scaling

And on top of that, being based on remaining monsters make it so that the greater the buffs are, the fewer monsters are left to benefit from them

I don’t know how much math you’ve done, or how easily you understand the meaning of language.

When someone says “infinite scaling” they’re referring to a difficulty spike that resembles an exponential or linear function that increases to an upper limit. The ceiling can be raised or lowered, but the curve or line can be extrapolated beyond this to demonstrate the trend outside the cap. Why is this important?

In Diablo 3, they had Torment, then it went up, and up, and up, and up. To the point where they even added Greater Rifts inside of this system.

It doesn’t matter if there is a finite number of monsters that arbitrarily raise the difficulty to a hard cap, the point is, people will eventually hit that hard cap, and ask for ever increasing difficulties.

So, I know shortsightedness is a talent of yours, and my logic may seem to you as “lack of oxygen” etc. but the end result of your designed system is Torment 16. Not tomorrow, not 6 months from now, but eventually.

This has ruinous effects on build viability and diversity, and creates a monumental task for game devs to balance classes. How about you take all of your “cutting edge” ideas over to the D4 forums inside the D3 forums. I’m sure they’ll take to your ideas much more warmly.

3 Likes

I wasn’t expecting less from you

“Don’t add content because some people will eventually complete it”

11/10 logic

As if creating mobs with higher numeric values would make them anything other than hp sponges, and you called this content.

Like I said, dumpster fire.

Anyway, rest easy that none of your ideas will ever make it to D2R. If you spent more time finding the flaws in them, and correcting it accordingly, you’d eventually have a good idea.

Good ideas don’t happen, they’re untested ideas that have to be submitted through rigorous trials. If left standing, it becomes a “good idea”. If you spent less time flooding the forums with so many bad ideas, you might find time to test one into a good idea.

Not bumping this alt account thread of yours any more.

4 Likes

Needz Moar Hammerdinz.

I am pretty sure that the majority of the playerbase a Would welcome Damage sponge if it means that they can have more alvl85 areas, challenging content and a less tedious 90-99 xp route

It’s like going from a 10$/h 15h/week Job to a 30$/h 40h/week job with paid vacation weeks, dental and health care

Tanis gets it. Twenty.

1 Like

Another obvious proof that you are only a troll and you haven’t read my suggestion by pointing out Hdin

Which I specifically tackled by adding resistance bonuses to monsters including magic

The sarcasm went beyond you. Needs more Hdins doesn’t exactly mean Hdins themselves, but the idea of more Hdin level builds. When you keep upping difficulty, you keep narrowing what can complete that difficulty. It creates a never ending balance change in order for more builds to keep up. It’s already been proven by Diablo 3 and the Greater Rift model.

2 Likes

Go ahead, tell me what build would reign supreme, better than every other builds by a mile under my system with let’s say 80% cleared game

Doesn’t matter. The playerbase will react by saying this needs buffed, that needs buffed, too unbalanced. Blizzard will either have to react or players leave in droves. Thus, you begin the process of constant balance changes to react to the difficulty bumps. It’s Diablo 3. We already have people that cry that Firebolt isn’t a Hell viable skill. Ok, next season, we’ll increase it’s damage +1000%, maybe it’ll crawl it’s way into viability in the next difficulty beyond basic Hell, and the following season, create a new set that gives it +2000% increased damage. Should be fine, right?

To tie this into the original topic of this thread, online players x is not a good idea for online. Lets face it, most of this game is playing solo online to farm for items to get stronger, or trade for gear to get stronger. Some abuse the increased player count benefits in a full game to go solo farm, which generally requires top tier classes to be able to do in limited gear until they have end game gear and could do it on most any class. This will end up carrying over into solo play with online players x. Those Infinity Sorcs, NigmaHDins, etc wouldn’t be carrying people through the game in rushes to Hell Chaos/Baal to abuse the heightened player counts when they can do it solo private.

Forcing players to play in a party to overcome content is dumb as well, with our current loot system.

1 Like

Difficulty settings are the easiest way to add more value to the existing content without a ton of development time. We have no idea if they’d ever actually add new content like end-game mapping or a new act or whatever, so difficulty settings and minor balance changes may be all we’ll get.

The “hammerdin” argument is silly at best. Yes, they should buff the weaker abilities in a game with so few to choose from in the first place. Not sure why that would be viewed as a negative.

More build variety and difficulties would be the easiest way to get more value out of the game and give people more things to do.

I don’t think this game has enough current players for them to leave in droves.

Since this thread wasn’t specifically a /p 8 thread, I’d say new difficulty settings could include higher difficulty than is currently possible with P8 Hell. Perhaps the new highest difficulty wouldn’t be easy to solo/farm quickly. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I am playing solo on /players 4 on Ladder and I find the content way to easy, I hope that Blizzard will add another Expansion (but make it Monster Level 90+ area’s) to this great game.

Build variety is already being worked on. 2.4 increased it, 2.5 will increase it again. However, let’s say 2.5 does the amazing thing and makes every skill 100% viable. Ok, new difficulty, time to buff EVERYTHING again. 2-3 patches later, game is back in perfect alignment, now everyone is bored again. New difficulty, rinse and repeat. It’s a waste of time.

I’d rather them focus their effort on just the basic balance and build variety, quality of life, maybe new endgame activities like an uber boss or something, and multiplayer improvements rather than simply increasing the difficulty for someone getting bored with their fully decked out Sorc or HDin that they paid for with a credit card or JSPed to win (yes, I’m being sarcastic with that last bit).

1 Like