[solved] ACCESS_VIOLATION WoW Crash since 11.0 - (bluepost attached)

edit 2:

Some crashes that have occurred for some players since 11.0 have been fixed with a hotfix. Certain items no longer trigger a crash on mouseover. The problems I encountered have been fixed.
A few days later, some players again experienced crashes with the message “ACCESS_VIOLATION”, but the symptoms have probably changed.
I can’t contribute much since I don’t have these problems, but since this thread has become a collection point for this type of error, I’ll add the following to my initial post:

Blizzard has made the following statement on the EU forum:

Source:

If that is not helping in your case, try disabling the new video options one by one and don’t forget to test it without addOns (do an UI Reset by renaming “Interface” and “WTF” folder.

Good luck!

edit:
!! BREAKING NEWS !!

It seems like, the bug was solved. I’ve just logged in to my main account in EU and I got no errors while hovering over items in my bag. Even my trinket can be used without the critical error.

Thanks blizzard for the fix, but it would have been nice to get an update in the meantime. :wink:

Hello all,

since patch 11.0, there have been more and more reports of crashes with the error “ACCESS_VIOLATION” in the forums.

The exact error message is as follows:

Program: X:\WoW Install Directory here\_retail_\Wow.exe
Exception: ACCESS_VIOLATION - The instruction at “0x0000xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx” referenced memory at “0x00000xxxxxxxxxxxxxx”,
The memory could not be “read”,
ProcessID: 24788
ThreadID: 19768

Press OK to terminate the applcation

You also get the error report window in which you can enter feedback.

I have noticed the following:

• The error only occurs with one character so far
  • in my case a level 48 Night Elf Warrior (Chromie Time, WotLK, EXP Stop)
  • The error only occurs in the Arms Spec
  • The error only occurs when a two-handed weapon is equipped
  • The error occurs when you move the mouse over certain items in the bag, e.g. my shield, or two wands
  • The error occurs regardless of the equipped weapon when I activate my Trinket (core of ar’kelos) ”

I’ve already done this:

• Creating a ticket (2 times, got the same automatic reply
  • Performing a UI Reset (deleted Interface, WTF, Fonts and Cache folder)
  • WoW repair
  • WoW reinstall
  • updated drivers
  • updated BIOS
  • Router-reset
  • tested on another network
  • tested on another computer
  • sacrificed my free time a lot

In the US forum I found the following posts with the same or a very similar problem since patch 11.0:

!!

In the EU-EN forums there is even more, the first one is interesting because there is a BLUEPOST in it that says that there is a fix on the way. But its already two days ago, and it was not posted here before (AFAIK):

!!

Bluepost:

According to the bluepost, we don’t have to make a Bug report if we are sending the error with the reporting tool. But I am unsure if it is sending properly. I can type in the text and then there is only a “close” button and no sending button at all.

Even more error-reports from EU-EN:

I think I have done everything I can as a player to find a solution, if there is anything else that can be tested, please let me know.

It would be good to know if we should post the error IDs, if it is enough to click on the “close” button when the error occurs and what I think we would all like to see are regular status updates.

When can we expect a fix? Are we talking weeks, days, hours?

Thanks to the developers for their efforts.

20 Likes

And guess what, I just received one of this items in yet another character, this time was a char used to do AH, which i now may not be able to anymore unless i find a way to handle the returning/deleting the item with a macro, that may not even work.

Blizzard needs to address this asap, this is getting out of hand and is likely being widely abused.

Edit:
To anyone having this issue, if u got the addon “Postal” installed, don’t hit the yellow arrow to attempt to return, select the item(from the left side) then click return at the top.
Don’t ever move the mouse over the item, go around it near the edge to click select.
That returns the mail without crashing WoW.

3 Likes

See also my post: Unable to open mail on upgraded char without WoW crashing: Unable to open mail on upgraded char without WoW crashing

Basically one of my chars on my other account that I recently re-subbed on. Chose the gear upgrade option. When I went to open the mail to get all her old gear etc, wow crashed. Now cannot open her mailbox at all without it crashing.

1 Like

Thank you, added to the list above.

1 Like

I am also now getting this error, but for me it is any time I try to interact with an NPC. I’m also returning after a decade away, trying to work through Dragonflight now, and when I trying and turn in Killjoy and the rewards screen pops up, error and crash. I can hang out all day, but as soon as the rewards pop up, done.

1 Like

My guess is that one of the quest rewards are causing that error.
Just found out that using Frostweave Net while not having a target is causing an error too.
And again: Same issue for my second computer.

This error was found here

It is already on my list.

1 Like

It was exactly that. If I hovered over the first item offered as a reward it caused the crash. I just chose a different reward and the quest cleared, no crash. Now we’ll see if it crashes with the next quest.

I’ve been frantically trying to find a solution to this for the past 4 hours. I found similar posts from earlier this year suggesting things like underclocking being a solution - which I tried to no avail. Fresh reinstall of WoW and playing with no addons, fresh Windows install, even got to the point of browsing for a new PC.

While it’s poor that this is happening to so many people, I’m also glad it’s not just me. This only happens with WoW - I’ve been running other games in the background while searching for fixes to try and having 0 issues. It came on randomly while I was opening mail in Northrend Dalaran, but any mail action seems to be doing it. Actively trying other activities now to find what else causes it

I removed frostweave net from my bars, and just completed my first BG without issue! It is a Saturnalia miracle!

1 Like

The alt I use to post auctions has not been able to collect all of my mail since patch day. From what I can tell the item that causes the crash seems to be Starfire Espresso.

Without addons enabled I can collect everything up until that item. With addons it will crash once the item “appears” in the queue for pickup.

I have attempted all of the fixes that others have tried with no success.

Two latest report IDs:
8F6932AF-3D43-442E-A33F-860608B8A432
768862FB-D13E-4584-AA43-9D1DE544F5B8

Game is completely unplayable for me with this bug. Upon selecting any character in favorites, the game crashes. I did a scan & repair, which did not fix it. I also noticed I never got a warband screen. It still looks like the same scren as any other. I can select & play other non-favorite characters.

57739A2A-3A8E-47EE-8208-7D9824EA07C8

1 Like

What you always can try when you encounter the “hover over item crash” e.g. when you are at vendor is to unequip your weapon (especially if you are using a 2-hand weapon).

Finally my girlfriend got the same error on one of her characters at a vendor and I asked her:

‘Using a2-Hand-Weapon??`’

‘ye’

‘unequip it!’

‘oh its working’.

She also accidentally crashed my WoW by start a trade with me with this bugged item. This is really bad, because basically that means you can crash the WoW client of every player with that you are able to trade…

3 Likes

I gave this a shot and unequipped my weapons and gear but as soon as I open the mailbox the game crashes. I don’t have a chance to mouse over or click anything.

Would LOVE at least an acknowledgement from Blizz of the issue.

You may have overlooked this, but there IS feedback from Blizzard.

Hello and thanks for the reports!

The underlying issue causing these crashes has been identified and a fix is on the way.

As a general point as long as you’re sending the crash reports there isn’t a need to make a bug report in addition, as we’d already have received the relevant details.

The only downside is, that this is already ~2d ago. Would be good if Blizzard would give us an update (for all regions…)

3 Likes

You’re right, I didn’t see that - thank you!

1 Like

Or mail items to.

If there were still GMs in the game, I would mail them chocolate cakes. So sad that they’re gone. :crying_cat_face:

3 Likes

games loads passed cinematic screen then game crashes on character selection screen. tried all fixed and none seem to work.

program:C:_retail_\wow.exe Exception: access_violation - the instruction at 0x00007ff6e00b49e1 referenced memory at 0x0000000000000029 the memory could not be read.
process : 21112
thread id : 22416

1 Like

ugh this is the worst, I got one of these crashy items sold to a vendor and now I can’t do business with any vendor because the item is in the buyback section and it crashes the game when I interact with the vendor.

So my issue seems to be with a few items I had on my level 31 mage. The mailbox would crash, but I got around that by doing “Open All” on my mail. However, now it’s some of the items in my bag that crashes me.

I hopped on my MacBook Pro (M1) to see if maybe it was just a Windows problem and I could get rid of the items causing the behavior, but the game crashes on MacOS (latest stable) too.