The Competitive Bugs Megathread

Ah no I should have recorded it. Made 5-2 rerank 30mins before. Still bronze 5 after 4 reranks…

1 Like

I wrote in multiple threads with the same problem that I cannot rank up and it destroys the game for me. Hopefully someone will stumble over the threads and do something.

1 Like

I just want my season 36 top 500 reward back 🥹🥹

3 Likes

Hey. I have the same problem as most fellas in this thread. I ended S3 in Diamond 5 on support and despite that, I recieved rewards for Platinum. Any chances for me to recieve proper rewards for grinding my way to Diamond? :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is a good point. I will need to find out if anyone else has top 500 playercard while also only being top 500 combined leaderboard.

1 Like

DeMonFox: Could you please upload whatever screenshots, videos, and other evidence you have of your leaderboard placement? I will add it to the megathread under: Season 36 Top 500 Evidence. Please spread the word about this so I can collect as much evidence of our missing Top 500 rewards as I can.

Kaira: It is a wise decision to not play competitive when the Devs continue allowing it to remain in such a broken state. And I’ve tweeted to several Overwatch developers and content creators yesterday. Let’s hope some of them looked into this thread and have spread the word about it.

Knypek: I would help, but it looks like you’ve found a solution to the missing prematch screen without my help. For others who are experiencing this issue, I’ll link the comment here: No competitive loading screen displaying player names - #9 by Knypek-21442. Let’s hope the Devs fix this bug so that players won’t need to use such a workaround solution forever.

StriQX: As it so happens, I have found one video of that message, which is where I first named this new bug. I’ll link it here: Reddit - Dive into anything. Of course, having more videos and other evidence of this bug is always helpful.

Chyhak: The Devs have acknowledged this bug: Overwatch 2 Known Issues - April 11, 2023. However, we still need to keep spreading the word about this bug so that they actually fix it unlike the bugged career profiles and missing end-of-season rewards from other previous seasons like Season 36. Here’s a link to my post in case you’d like to read more about this issue: Comprehensive Thread Of All Top 500/Competitive Bugs. I’ve compiled a list of posts regarding similar bugs under: Incorrect End Of Season Competitive Rank And Rewards (Seasons 1-3). Please help in spreading the word about this megathread and other related threads, we must demand the Developers to give us the rewards we rightfully earned.

McMadChick: Prior to the distinguishment introduced this season, I had always assumed Top 500 Combined would receive the exact same title as Top 500 Role Queue and Top 500 Open Queue. But now, I’m not so certain. I hope you are able to find the answer to that question.

1 Like

I hope if they fix the bronze 5 bug, they are able to restore the real ranks. I would be very sad if my time is actually wasted. But I just have to wait…
Thank you for your quick answer Azdyph!

1 Like

Im having the same issue. After a 5 win 1 loss streak i was DEMOTED to bronze 5 on tank role q. Now everytime i get the wins it says “you are already at the lowest possible rank” or something like that as of it wants to demote me further. Just last night a friend of mine won 5 lost 4 and ranked up in PLAT… i have NEVER been awarded rank for a record like that and have been routinely demoted for losing 3.

1 Like

Great job and thank you for updating this topic, the more information it gets, thd less Blizzard can ignore it. I started playing Competitive in Season 3 after a hiatus of not playing comp in ow2. I didn’t get any competitive points at the end of the season, which is very upsetting since it was the only reason I played comp (only a few hundred points were missing from 3000).

1 Like

I haven’t played since Oct-ish … November, and it’s unfortunate nothing has been fixed as of yet. It’s wild to me, and extremely upsetting as I was so excited for OW2 but, haven’t wanted to play since no matter what I do my stats won’t change or reflect on the competitive side, I hope the fix it but I’m not optimistic.

1 Like

Same, I keep winning games against harder and harder opponents in bronze 5, reranked 3 times. Stuck at minimum value with a positive win rate. I’m getting plat and diamond players paired against me as well AND winning in bronze 5. Make it make sense, because it doesn’t.

2 Likes

The last game I just played was supposedly a “bronze 3” match rank…we got steamrolled. This happens SO often…
The enemy support was Bronze in support but had been Gold in all the other seasons. Then gold in damage. The enemy tank was Silver 2 but Plat 4 in damage.

It’s not reasonable for matchmaking to put people with better game sense and aim in bronze when they are clearly NOT, even if it’s a different role. And everyone on my team is Bronze 2 - 5. Or someone is unrated in the role they que but their other ranks are Diamond…that has also happened. This is extremely infuriating when you are grinding to rank up and just stuck “bronze 5 min value” even though you win.

1 Like

McMadChick: I happened across some potentially interesting information. I’ll leave the link here: Role / Open Challenger Titles.

StriQX & oRange: And thank you for helping spread the word about the thread. None of these issues will be solved if people aren’t vocal about them. Let’s hope this recent outcry will finally force the Devs to fix all these competitive bugs.

Dupetwo & Đıe & PennyNoodle: It seems you are also experiencing the Bronze 5 Minimum Value bug. I’ve compiled a list of other posts about that if you would like to bump up your issue under: Incorrect Rank Adjustment. However, as I’ve prefaced in the Limitations section of the megathread, large skill deltas, while very much an issue that needs to be fixed, aren’t technically bugs since they are intentional changes implemented by the Devs, so I unfortunately have not documented other posts regarding that. However, there are dozens of those posts created daily, so it would not be difficult at all to find them if you want to promote those posts as well.

SororityKilz: Regarding the empty career profiles bug, it does seem some players do eventually have their data correctly merged and transferred, but there doesn’t seem to be any pattern or method of that happening. Of course, there are still some players who have had their career profiles completely wiped since launch and haven’t had it fixed…Only thing left to do is keep promoting this issue and hoping for a fix.

1 Like

Hi Azdyph,

I have started looking into “bronze 5 bug” on my own and noticed something in the game data. Affected person seem to have a lot of matches with “INVALID” status.
This can be looked up in “Player Ranked Match History” table (value “INVALID” in column “Leaderboard Region”).

It would be helpful to check with several of the affected people to confirm or deny if this is a common factor.

2 Likes

Hey RacA, yeah I just replied in the other thread because this seems to be the case for me. It makes me wonder if those were wins that weren’t counted correctly.

As someone just getting into OW2 comp it’s been really confusing, especially since I don’t really know where I’m supposed to be. I played a few hundred hours of QP in OW2 after coming back from OW1 before jumping into comp. I managing Gold in support, which decayed to Silver 1 in season 4, but I placed Bronze 2 DPS last season and no matter how much I win I keep moving down the ranks after starting at Bronze 4 this season. A positive winrate of nearly 2:1 should mean I rank up, not down, right?

Judging by the number of threads popping up though, I don’t think I’m alone.

Edit: Updated the list

2 Likes

RacA: Cross-checking with Haxus’s list of posts and a few from my own list, having an INVALID status for leaderboard region does seem to be a similarity for those players experiencing the Bronze 5 Minimum Value bug and it seems likely that this is causational. This might be slightly more far-fetched, but I believe this error might also be related to the bugs with the match history page, such as the one where some players see one extra loss in their match history despite not playing any matches at all or where some losses are not saved and are no longer viewable. However, only the Devs know that for sure, so I would highly recommend sending a customer support ticket and creating your own bug post about that. You can also bump up related posts about that bug under: Incorrect Rank Adjustment & Bronze 5 Bugs. The larger threads are generally towards the top of the list and are also far more likely to be noticed by the Devs so I would recommend starting with those first.

Haxus: Thank you for that list, it is certainly very helpful. I’ve created a separate subcategory for the list called Bronze 5 Bugs. All the threads you’ve listed are found under there and I’ve gone ahead and started looking back through the threads under Incorrect Rank Adjustment for posts specifically about Bronze 5 bugs and transferring to the new list for you to take a look at. Please do read through and bump up some of those posts with your issue. Of course, if you find any additional posts you think are notable, do link them to this megathread or send me another comment and I’ll take a look at them as well. I hope this helps.

1 Like

Hey Azdyph, I’ve been responding in a lot of these posts to try and raise awareness and visibility. What’s happening after these changes to ranked goes past the typical “I don’t understand why I’m stuck in Bronze 5 after winning 5 times” posts. Winning 5 games, even 5/0 doesn’t prove that there is a bug, and it’s important we keep that in mind.

The “INVALID” stuff in Blizzard data is interesting, but possibly a red herring. I converted the epoch timestamps of all my matches to make it easier to look at, and I do actually have as many valid matches as I’d expect during this season. I just don’t know what the INVALID matches are from. I would keep this in mind but not get too caught up on it.

I do have a hypothesis about what’s happening, but as you alluded to, only the devs can really confirm. What I suspect could be happening is this:

1. A player starts season 4 with a perceived rank based on what they see
  2. After playing a set of 5 wins/15 losses their rank adjusts to the new system
  3. In the case of a player that moves into low Bronze 5 it may seem as if they deranked and are “hard stuck”

For me, the only time I’ve ranked down was after my first set of 5 wins and 4 losses. I’ve had positive win ratios in all sets since but still cannot make it back to Bronze 4. If the above hypothesis is true, my Bronze 4 rank was essentially cosmetic and I actually “deserved” to be in Bronze 5 and work my back out. I’m a fairly new OW2 comp player with only one prior season under my belt, so it’s possible the new system ranked me poorly and I’ll eventually move up. The “you are at the minimum value for this rank” message is also a bit confusing though, as I don’t understand whether this means I’m at the bottom of Bronze or the bottom of Bronze 5.

To add further confusion, some players have reported that they are ranking down multiple times with positive winrates, which goes against this logic. Unfortunately we do live in a world where people exaggerate their performance it’s hard to say with certainty that this is really happening. I’ve yet to see video evidence that a player who has already played 5 winning games in the new season continue to rank down, only anecdotes.

Thanks for this megathread though, as it’s important to consolidate as much information as possible to get a better understanding. Regardless of what’s happening, we need clarity.

1 Like

I just saw your reply to my report and it happend again, but now really badly. Last season, i got bad for the complete rest of the season, i didnt care much tho since the season was only lasting for like 6 days so i just brushed it off my shoulder and went on with other games. Well, now that the new season recently started, i hopped back on the game and played as usual and to my suprise, i never got kicked out of a match/supsended for no reason at all. I tought to myself “hey they must have fixed the bug”. Just 10 minutes ago, it happend again. Suspended. FOR THE ENTIRE SEASON. I was done with my match, hopped in the lobby, and went to get some food. I come back 3 minutes later and what do i find? “You are banned: Season 4”. Yet again, no new match showing up in my history, no lost match to be found in my record, nothing. I just got banned for no reason at all. Whats wrong with my game??

1 Like

Bumping, another annoying this is that even if you hit top 500 in season 36 and stayed there until the end of the season, not only did you not get rewards like the player icon (Which was still a reward that you were supposed to get in ow1, they also deleted the top 500 season high and season end icon from your career profile for that season. Good thing I have proof that I ended in that season because they are trying to act like I didn’t end in top 500.

2 Likes

Bumping this mega thread, Hope it gets seen, but in the middle of a random comp game I received the “client requested disconnect” error and am now banned for all of season four. If they had a real appeal system for their own mistakes many of these issues could be solved.

1 Like