Bronze 5 storm league update (+/-4 points per game)

Okay I read about storm-league-bronze-5-update but I can state firmly as an end user it FEELS 100% like (replaced cursed word with) [utter and complete garbage] to gain and lose 4 rank points per game. If MMRs from a presently non-existent site like hotlogs are your excuse, it makes no difference. Shall I just wait 6 months to replay my placement matches with friends who are not trolls intentionally trying to send me to this hellish state of ranked? Or could Blizzard literally make 10 levels of bronze so that I can actually FEEL like I’m progressing at a “normal rate” and reaching a goal? It is great to show the standard bell curve and all but it does NOT feel great to win 4 rank points in my fourth win in a row! And buying your stim-pack did NOTHING to affect my ranked rewards, it was just a waste of my time and money. If you can’t tell by now, I am a very dissatisfied user, who’d rather be Bronze 8 and winning something meaningful.

1 Like

Keep winning games in solo queue and you should start to gain points faster eventually.

When is that generic and unhelpful advice not applicable? I feel like you probably copy paste the same response to every post! :confused:

I suggested 10 levels of bronze so that I could

actually FEEL like I’m progressing at a “normal rate” and reaching a goal? It is great to show the standard bell curve and all but it does NOT feel great to win 4 rank points in my fourth win in a row!

You didn’t respond to this suggestion. “I can’t get rank 1 gm” and you would respond:

Keep winning games in solo queue and you should start to gain points faster eventually.

This is a matter of perception and +/-4 FEELS terrible!!!

The amount gained and lost will increase as your win rate or lose rate increases. If you maintain a 50% win rate it might as well not award or remove any points from you since you are at your skill level and so your MMR does not require any change. In such situation you cannot progress until your skill level improves and so the system should not allow you to progress until then.

Rank is not like levels in Diablo III or World of Warcraft. Just playing more will not automatically result in a higher rank. You could play very little or a lot but the determining factor is winning most low skill level matches and maintaining a 50% win rate in high skilled matches.

Despite what it may feel, the system tries to match both the player and their enemies with similar skilled opponents based on MMR and hence skill. The intent is for a near perfect 50% win rate once one reaches the MMR appropriate for their skill level. At such point playing more will not change rank directly. Instead one needs to practice, learn and improve by playing to become higher skilled and hence raise win rate to improve rank.

I understand FULL well how matchmaking works, I am describing instead how it FEELS and have put that in caps twice now so that the focus is where I intend it to be! I understand Mathematics and Statistics likely far better than you, at least the paper on my wall says so.

I am focused on perception and it would FEEL a heck of a lot better if I gained and lost 100 points per game, such an infinitesimal amount as 4, is insignificant and every player with at least a fraction of a brain-cell recognizes that and would surely agree with me!

Will you INSTEAD reply to the PERCEPTION part of my contention???

Actually your suggestion is spot on, because the people gaining 1, 2, 5, 20 points per win/loss are at a MMR lower than Bronze 5.

This should be represented by a visual rank like Bronze 6, 7, 8 so people understand what is going on.

Then after this visual rank is shown to players, they can receive ±200 points per game again.
Any normal person should sympathize with genuine B5’s trying to improve and move out of this league.

Since Blizzard can’t fix a significant amount of people with varying MMR’s (all the way from -500 to 1000) being in Bronze 5, they should make an exception and create additional leagues in Bronze below B5 so people don’t think it’s a “bug”.

If that is not possible, separate current Bronze into Iron (any Bronze with MMR above 1000) and Bronze (lower Bronze 5’s with -500 to 500 MMR), thus creating a new league.

Thank you for understanding my point Metal, I don’t care what my rank says, it is the +/- (effectively 0) that makes this game seem pointless!

Hello Tak,

I feel you. Making everyone have enjoyable experience regardless of the league is our goal. This was brought up and we planned some work for it, but we couldn’t get to this portion of Ranked Update in time. I am sorry to hear that your experience in this season was suboptimal.

We have some ideas to try out. Mainly we want everyone feel like they’re progressing at the meaningful rates regardless where your’re at. In order to do it, we probably need to map the MMR range of the Bronze 5 onto much wider range of Ranked Points. We’re still hashing out the design details, but I am hoping we can deliver this in the upcoming season. Please stayed tuned and please give us feedback when the new change is introduced to a upcoming Ranked Season.

Thank you,

Juno

2 Likes

The trouble being that by then, many people such as myself will quit the game entirely out of disgust. I recommend this change being fast-tracked instead!!!

I have the more or less same problem… 16 points - or + after a solowin is fully useless… 4 points mean 250 winned games to get 1 league up… its just a shame to read things like this: “We’re still hashing out the design details, but I am hoping we can deliver this in the upcoming season.” you guys let us wait bcs of Design? rly? what a pretty bad excuse ^^ bakoom!!! will u ever fix that? i guess no… why it should be here different than to other blizz games where you announced fixes they never happened… ^^
50+ wins is even for a expirienced player no easy deal… but new player will never archive this… thats why hots dont grow… and just to lower the needed amount for just bronze 5 from 1k to 100 is to hard to get… or to implement a routin to mark ppl who get lower points than -150 (f.e. just -25) and not enough points on win than +150 (f.e. just +25) to get in that just needed 100 points range… a friend of mine did the same games than i did and i got bronze 5 and he gold 5… the only difference was the played hero… sure there where differences to the gained exp through kills and so on but not a diffenrence that would explain why my friend gains 150+ results to my own +20-25 while i play with a friend… explain this pls… make absolutly no sence… and he is winning 3-5 games for an league up… i need 63+ games or others like tak need 250 wins? i just can say clay (clowns laughting at you)… and i am one of them… and the sad thing is that your games have an very high potential… that they never reach bcs of never appearing fixes… countles bugs… making payed games f2p what is nesseccary bcs more brainful ppl dont agree to you micropayment trash… and so on… i am tired from typing this to ppl that never get the higher meaning of this… but i need to tell bcs other ppl may seek for experiences from unknown ppl about the crap they planning to buy… and they find this… and yes… i am another time from countles times pissed about the trash you guys dishes us… blizzard is just good in visual skills… but beyond that you guys should stop work… sad to say…

Raidden

ps: my friend on gold 5 has a lower win ratio than 50% continously and still make much more points than i do… what make every sentence wrong about that what drsupergood told here and on other posts… i have more won games and ratio but still lower points i get… even a win streak of 8 or 9 wins and 15 wins in last 20 games changes nothing… and to get up to a higher ratio with 16 points is as fast as the needed 50+ games to get a league up…

1 Like

Hello Brutalnot, still stuck in bronze 5?

Also kills and exp have nothing to do with MMR, only wins and losses do. Your win ratio in Ranked is low, therefore Bronze 5.

2 player win and lose the same… one get bronze 5 and one gold 5… that says all… it was like this last and running season… if u still dont get what i am talking about pls stop answer… u waste your own and my time… thanks…

Im below bronze 5 too, Im eager to see the next patch and what you will do about it.

I want a fix, also.

So please we will be waiting your work and what fix you will bring to this problem.

Thankyou for answering team hots!

It is frustrating. It’s probably been my best season. Even tonight, I won 5 consecutive games. I win more than I lose currently. only gaining 14 points a game is so painful.

Here’s the kicker. when we did our season games, we all played the same games, we all won the same games and my buds shot up to Gold and beyond and I sat at Bronze 5.

I had a really bad season I think, two seasons ago or last season and it’s just been really unsatisfying to have progressed so much as a player with a team that rocks yet still be stuck in Bronze 5.

Hey please yes. Please bring a fix with the next season . Cut the tip tail of bronze bell (this levels of hell in bronze) and make a Bottom mmr in which you can’t go any lower.

Thanks

new season same problem… those visauals must be hard to figure out… lol… i just can repeat my last post… same amount on games and just wins… my friend get gold 3 and i end up in bronze 5… u guys are just useless… sad to say… and to lie to your comm is such a shame… u should get fired 4 it…

Your friend had higher MMR. That’s why he placed gold 3. Just as a Diamond 1 queuing with a Bronze 1 in their placement games would get very different ranks even if they won 3 games together. It would be very odd for the Bronze 1 to suddenly jump to Diamond.

Consider placement games regular matches where you just gain a bit more points than normal.
If someone is at the lower end of Bronze 5, that means they will also be at Bronze 5 after 3 placements.

how good you repeat the problem… lol… if u have nothing to say… just leave here… lol…

Edit: fyi

maybe they fuse those posts… told enough about it on these posts… blizz has just crap(pro)grammer… thats the main problem at all… there are much more posts about this topic… but i am tired for searching them all out… that should already done by blizz back in 1990… but blizz still hanging in 1980…

I’m having this problem in March 2021, over 18 months since this post. I am earning/losing 5-6 points per game, and am stuck at the bottom of Bronze 5 in perpetuity. This is my first season, and I was admittedly pretty bad, winning about 35% win rate while I was learning the game and the meta. I’m now much much better, winning 60-70% of my ranked games, but still am completely unable to progress forward.

I thought it was a bug, but appears it’s not. Based on reading this post, it seems this issue might repeat next season… if it does, I’ll likely take my time and money elsewhere.