New class idea; Eldritch Knight (void melee class)

I was brainstorming again as of late on how a void melee would play and thought of a few mechanics that could work while being of the void lore;

The class in general will most likely be a mail wearing board and sword class. (because we need more mail users that actually are in melee, mail is meant to be an armor ya know)

The main features of the class is this;

The are void users, mostly with void-based attacks in melee range.

They have 2 weapons, their main-hand weapon (sword, mace, axe, or dagger) and sheild. What? Sheild ain’t a weapon? To the eldritch knight it is! They place an void catalyst on the sheild, using it as a mini void portal for void creatures to be commaneded or summoned to attack out of. They could even use it to summon a small void creature to attack your foes with you, granted you had “Fed” the void catalyst enough.

They will have 2 specs: Torment (tank) And Curruption (dps)

Torments mechanics will be as follows;

Each enemy you attack will gain a misery meter (or debuff if they will) depending on the misery meter you can use it to perform certain attacks that focuses on the opponents mind (like causing them to doubt which can make it easier for the tank to dodge attacks), or you can feed it to your sheild.

The eldritch knight would also be able to use the latent void energies from the sheild to cloak his weapon for finisher like moves or direct it for AoE attacks in it’s base class.

If you choose to feed it to your sheild, the sheild while gain effects like phasing out any physcal attack that it blocks (damage reduction) or to create an magic absorb (the sheild consumes the attack, like a magic attack or another) You could also use it for a cool-down such as summoning a void abomination to take a few hits for you instead of yourself.

The idea is that each enemy has it’s own misery meter and you can use it to play either with the void or your opponents mind. Weakening the opponent should be the main component of the eldritch knights mechanics while also making them “doubt” (increasing their chance to miss or to be able to dodge easier) if they can beat you.

The misery meter should build by debuffs and DoT’s the eldritch knight puts on the target, it is up to the player to keep the DoT’s on the target.

Curruption gameplay would be similar with DoT management, It fills the curruption bar for them, which is set again on each individual foe, each DoT tick could increase the foes curruption by 10 or so. The Eldritch knight can use skills to either get that to grow faster or not.

Once the player judges enough curruption had been spread, they can then have the sheild “consume” that curruption to summon tendrils to reach out of the sheild to attack or summon void creatures or even have his weapon hit the sheild to “cloak” the weapon with void energy for a powerful melee attack.

I may edit this in the future as more ideas comes out, but bascially it’s a class that plays with a mini void portal as a sheild, commands void powers and attacks it’s foes minds as he fights and possible tortures his foes as they do.

Edit 1;

So I was thinking of a few more skills that can be employed by eldritch knights;

Void thorn: call forth tendrils from the void that hardens into spikes, and slam your sheild at your target. The curruptive venoms of the tendrils causes a DoT on the target which causes misery or curruption by the spec.

Void screech: cause the fear effect to any targets in front of you and gives them a debuff that stacks curruption or misery.

Old god stare: an eye of the old gods peers through your sheild at your target, causing them to go into a slight fit of madness trying to comprehend what peered at them through your sheild (daze effect)

Call of madness: consume your targets misery (or curruption) to cause your foe to temporarily fight for you for a few seconds, the target also gains charge during this time. (Charm)

7 Likes

According to the omnipotent WoW devs, “We have enough melee classes already”.

1 Like

Yeah and they also hate them with how much anti melee mechanics they make

Still waiting on Tinkers from WC3, Thanks.
We have Technoloy themed Races, Technology Themed Zones, Technology themed Mounts, Technology themed quests, Technology themed Professions. 2 of our Racial Leaders are Tinkers.

But No Tinker Class. :frowning:

3 Likes

I’m at the point where I would have preferred this over Dracthyr/Evoker :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

While it is more likely Blizz will simply spit a void tinted Pally on us via glyph and call it a day…

This. I like this.

I don’t have time to read the whole OP atm but I’ll read through later, I like the idea though off the title of the topic -

My main thing was always that the next class should be ranged and heals only on principle of all new classes being added being melee dps / tank oriented (w the one bone thrown to healers on monk sort of but wasn’t fistweaving a thing people say idk) anyways evoker kind of covers that as far as the next class being ranged / heals only

So I’m content w a melee class again after that

I’ve been thinking of having the Sheild catalyst act like a sheild enchant to give them some uniqueness, but I have not came up with what effects they would have. If anyone has any ideas feel free to put them here.

I was also thinking on adding a 3rd spec that uses staves, but unsure of it yet.

I kind of wish that Blizzard had gone forward with “Micro Classes”. Such an interesting concept and we could have gotten a lot of cool character concepts that wouldn’t sell an expansion on their own.

Thank God.

4 Likes

Any faith in Tinker class died when devs thought being a dragon is a class. And also that April Fools post.

So basically, a Void Spec for Paladins? Ok interesting.

1 Like

Not really, the goal is to make it unique from paladins enough to be it’s own class.

The void is the polar opposite of light, and should have it’s own class themes then paladins.

1 Like

Eh…

The “Dark Knight” archetype is already filled by the Death Knight. This is like people asking for Necromancers when the Warlock is right there. That general theme is already covered.

“But it’s not the super specific type of --” Doesn’t matter. The roster doesn’t have room for it. There are far more diverse and established options still waiting to get their slot.

The best you could hope for is a “class skin” that overlays the Paladin with Void. And I’m not saying that’s a bad idea. But a full on class that represents a sphere that’s already covered? … No.

1 Like

It’s not covered, there is not class themed at attacking the mind and void directly.

This is actually the worst possible outcome, not only does it locks out this class possibility, but we would essentially be destroying another class for a theme the void actually does not represent. The void isn’t about healing and preserving or about justice and what’s good or what not. It’s about torment, curruption, consuming. It’s more of a hivemind kinda deal, something paladins and death knights fails to bring.

2 Likes

So I was thinking of a few more skills that can be employed by eldritch knights;

Void thorn: call forth tendrils from the void that hardens into spikes, and slam your sheild at your target. The curruptive venous of the tendrils causes a DoT on the target which causes misery or curruption by the spec.

Void screech: cause the fear effect to any targets in front of you and gives them a debuff that stacks curruption or misery.

Old god stare: an eye of the old gods peers through your sheild at your target, causing them to go into a slight fit of madness trying to comprehend what peered at them through your sheild (daze effect)

Call of madness: consume your targets misery (or curruption) to cause your foe to temporarily fight for you for a few seconds, the target also gains charge during this time. (Charm)

1 Like

Mind Blast, Mind Flay, Mind Sear, Mind Control, Psychic scream, and literally using a resource called “Insanity” would all like to have a Word.

Priest is very much the “Psychic / Void Damage Dealer” class.

2 Likes

1 spec =/= class.

The entire class theme will be about void and mind attacks at a melee range with also a focus on void portal magic via the sheild.

I kinda wish the current Paladin could have a void/unholy theme for their Ret and Prot specs, for applicable races (Forsaken, namely, because they really shouldn’t be the Light-infused “regular” Paladins). Basically, reskin the spells, but they’re essentially a copy/paste of the Light using Paladins.
Leave the Holy spec and healing spells alone, though, cuz void ain’t about healing, its about corrupting (and allow all Paladin races still have access to Holy).

All 3 paladin specs is about healing, empowering, and justice.

The void ain’t for any of those.

1 Like