New class idea; Eldritch Knight (void melee class)

Its an idea on paper.
Sounds cool.
Not always is in practice.
:man_shrugging:

1 Like

True, and one won’t know if it’s a good concept until they try to discuss it really.

It’s what discussing ideas is all about, coming up with ideas and then deciding if it’s a good one or not.

1 Like

I would love to see another range class to compete with hunter weapons.

A Kikyo, Kagome, type class, maybe Moroha since she can do both range and malee. (From Inuyasha anime.)

:bow_and_arrow:

:panda_face:

2 Likes

Thinking about ranged, I was thinking a 3rd spec that trades 1-handed weapons with pole-arms/staves with a sheild, the concept of the idea I am brewing is the eldritch knight guides the raw void energy from the portal created via the catalyst on his sheild for ranged attacks.

I could stomach it, because I’ve been rping classes as Off Brand for years, but it would feel pretty lame.

Wouldn’t be destroying Paladin as much as what the skin would represent. The Great Value void knight, if you will.

I would put in (as someone who is completely biased and likes to play healers) to have another damage-to-heal type spec to the mix.

Used to have a lot of fun playing with the Blood and Rifle combination on TSW, where you would heal allies using your own hp pool, but have to keep leeching health from the target so you wouldn’t die. It springs to mind because that game was set in Lovecraft mythos.

Change a few words around to sanity or physical integrity, and I think you could get a good healer out of that which fits with the void.

NO MORE MELEE. Please.

Already WAY too many melee in the game.

I only typically invite 1 melee to a 5 man, so I have to deny so many

Melee tend to stand in the most amount of stuff, require the most amount of healing, and you don’t want over 50% of your raid to be a melee

Please stop making melee classes

2 Likes

You also don’t want 50% of your dps in a raid to be range either

Why not? More range don’t really hurt to be honest. More raids have been successfully run when range heavy vs melee heavy. Look at fights like Rygelon, melee have to get off boss and run out to kill stuff - in a DPS race type boss that’s bad. Range DPS can hit everything while standing in center of room. Range >melee. Always.

I like this idea. I would also request a 2h or dw option to go with sword & board. But yeah, just my preference.

1 Like

There also fights were melee excel, you want a healthy balance of the two.

Back in Mists I was in a group that had only range dps and we struggled, we added in some melee, and we were clearing a lot more

People keep trying to reskin paladin for void knight but!!!

The better one to reskin is the death night

Choke people with void tendrils
Cover the ground in void
Throw void spikes
Summon a horde of void nights

I love death night gameplay but I don’t like bones and death themed classes…
but id play with this reskin

2 Likes

NOW WE’RE IN THE GOOD SUGGESTION HOURS. :clap:

I would like to ask your opinion on how you set up a dw/2-hand version of the eldritch knight, how would you differentiate it from mine, or would you use a different concept then the sheild holding the void portal/power?

We really do though if you count then out we need more range/support classes.

We need to get back to support buff/debuff classes. Instead we have pure damage dealers, tank, healers but no actual support classes that help the party.

1 Like

I am not opposed to the sword and board for the dps spec. I just would like an option to dw or use a 2h as well.

The problem with a pure support class that don’t fit I the triangle is that they normally end up sitting outside the raid, buff the party going in and not participate with the actual raid (see paladins during BC sunwell raid)

The other issue is if those classes can’t keep up with any of the triangle they do jot get invites due to ppl min/maxing to beat timers.

I am aware lol.

I just want an opinion on how you would make it work mechanically or visually, do these 2-hander ones cloak their sword in darkness? Does the dw ones master in the art of torture?

Stuff like that.

Which tells me that the developers ie ion. Needs to figure out a way to design raids and dungeons to accommodate for support classes. You don’t have one in your party and mechanics that are designed to be countered by support will hurt the group.

Which on the other hand if a troll plays support and doesn’t do mechanics will only make the group suffer.

Oh. I suppose? I would think visually it would work similar to the s&b for dw. Building up charges and using the weapons to summon and cast. It’s actually a very neat concept. One of the biggest problems with “caster” class weapons is they don’t actually use any of them for combat. They are literally stat sticks that just hang uselessly off your model. I would love to actually use weapons in combat to cast spells. Similar to DKs I suppose but even more so. Like leaning into the combat use of the weapon casting animations. Could be really neat.

Definitely! I can see this more as what we considered “raid utility” back in the day. Someone who isn’t necessarily bringing big numbers to the raid, but provides something absolutely necessary for the success of the party overall.