[MATH INSIDE] Mercy is statistically IRRELEVANT. HELP MERCY! She's not doing okay AT ALL!

Want a tl;dr of the results? To to the “Comparison Table” section and skip the rest.

Introduction

Mercy is often looked at as the “primary healer” of this game, and often referenced as being the “most consistent” healer. Assuming this is even true, we’re forgetting key fundamentals of Overwatch. (This was debunked below for Moira directly, Bridgette and Lucio by inclusion of shields and armor. Math below.)

Have we forgotten that healing is only ONE aspect of this game? The same game where stuns, damage dealt and utility also is taken into account? The same game where we have DPS only heroes?

Death is the best CC. What achieves that? Eliminations, damage. When an enemy target is taken out they can no longer contribute to the fight. Meaning you need less healing because they aren’t actively pummeling your team into submission.

Let me say it clearly before I show the math behind this statement: By picking Mercy YOU ARE A LIABILITY TO YOUR TEAM. STATISTICALLY SPEAKING. You aren’t offering enough healing compared to other healers to justify having up to 21x less damage dealt, 14x fewer eliminations, 14x fewer objective eliminations. In trade off for “more healing”. (As stated very clearly in the math, Bridgette and Lucio clearly blur this line and Moira flat out has more healing. The only healer with provably less healing than Mercy to a significant margin is Zenyatta.)

Check my math below, those 21x less damage, 14x elims are real. Mercy isn’t okay. Not by a long shot.

What is analyzed in these statistics?

-Eliminations (Remember, death is the best CC)
-Objective Eliminations (Death is the best CC)
-Healing (Where Mercy is supposedly peerless?)
-Damage done (Death is the best CC)

PLEASE NOTE: This statistical analysis DIRECTLY FAVORS MERCY because this does not take into account the following:

-Stuns (Bridgette)
-AOE healing capacity (Moira, Lucio 48hp/s amp it up)
-Burst healing capacity (Transcendence, Ana)
-Shields (Bridgette)
-Or any other utility (anti-healing nade, nanoboost, speed boost, etc!)

So take that with a grain of salt and realize Mercy’s even worse off than indicated here.

References
  1. h ttps://www.overbuff.com/heroes

2. h ttps://www.overbuff.com/heroes/ana

3. h ttps://www.overbuff.com/heroes/brigitte

4. h ttps://www.overbuff.com/heroes/brigitte/rankings

5. h ttps://www.overbuff.com/heroes/mercy

6. h ttps://www.overbuff.com/heroes/lucio

(Other support heroes pages like Ana and Moira.)

COMPARISON SUMMARY TABLE SECTION

COMPARISON SUMMARY TABLE

All percentages is showing HOW MUCH THE HERO TO THE LEFT (row) DOES COMPARED TO MERCY. Areas that the opposing hero does MORE than Mercy will be marked by a (+) and areas the opposing hero does LESS than Mercy will be marked by a (-).

Eg: Moira does 1395% MORE ELIMINATIONS THAN MERCY. (Yes, you read that right! ONE THOUSAND THREE HUNDRED AND NINETY FIVE!)

HERO NAME------ ELIMS ----- OBJECTIVE ELIMS ----- DAMAGE% ----- HEALING%

Moira ---------------(+) 1395%----(+) 1406%---------------(+) 1455%-------(+) 5.5%

Zenyatta -----------(+) 1027%----(+) 871%-----------------(+) 2108%-------(-) 53%

Bridgette^1 -------(+) 1072%----(+) 931%-----------------(+) 1379%-------(-) 45%

Lucio^2 -------------(+) 940%------(+) 949%-----------------(+) 1438%-------(-) 19%

Ana -----------------(+) 717%------(+) 608%-----------------(+) 954%---------(-) 16.5%

^1 [If you look into the Bridgette vs. Mercy analysis below, you actually can see mathematical backing for the concept that Bridgette contributes more to “team sustain” than Mercy through her armor generation and healing.]

^2 [Lucio may offer “only” 19% less healing than Mercy. But this isn’t taking into account his shield barrier in any capacity. I couldn’t find average damage shielded by Lucio so I left this out because I wanted to keep this as mathematically relevant as possible. I’m quite sure it’s non-trivial.]

Note: Table does NOT account for armor, shield, healing increase or other utility

MATH SECTION

Mercy vs Moira

So let’s take Moira (reference: h ttps://www.overbuff.com/heroes)

(Note: Moira is probably the MOST FAIR comparison to Mercy here, as Moira doesn’t offer ADDITIONAL UTILITY in the way of stuns, sleeps, nanoboosts, antihealing grenades, speed boosts, etc. So this is probably the BEST comparison hero. Mercy is SIGNIFICANT WORSE than other heroes due to utility in their kits.)

Mercy stats:
1.73 elims
0.67 objective elims
442 damage
10,701 healing

Moira stats:
24.14 elims
12.24 objective elims
6,433 damage
11,283 healing

Again math:

Elims: 24.14 / 1.73 * 100 = 1395.37572254
Objective elims: 12.24 / 0.87* 100 = 1406.89655172
Damage: 6433 / 442 * 100 = 1455.42986425
Healing: 11,283 / 10,701* 100 = 105.438744043

Statistically speaking Moira does:

1395% more elims than Mercy.
1406% more objective elims than Mercy.
1455% more damage than Mercy.
~5.5% more healing than Mercy.

Moira CRUSHES Mercy across the board. Moira flat out brings immensely more to the table than Mercy does.

We’re not talking small differences. We’re talking THOUSANDS.

Mercy vs Zenyatta

Mercy stats:

1.73 elims
0.67 objective elims
442 damage
10,701 healing

Zenyatta stats:
17.77 elims
7.58 objective elims
9,321 damage
6,973 healing

Again math:

Elims: 17.77 / 1.73 * 100 = 1027.16763006
Objective elims: 7.58 / 0.87* 100 = 871.264367816
Damage: 9321 / 442 * 100 = 2108.82352941
Healing: 10701 / 6,973 * 100 = 153.463358669

Statistically speaking Zenyatta does:

1027% more elims than Mercy.
871% more objective elims than Mercy.
2108% more damage than Mercy.

On the flip side Mercy does 153% more healing then Zenyatta.

(But again, look at how much more damage and elims he does. Is that 53% more healing actually worth it? Death is the best CC in the game.)

Mercy vs Bridgette ("Bridgette doesn't over as much sustain" is a myth)

Mercy stats:

1.73 elims
0.67 objective elims
442 damage
10,701 healing

Bridgette stats:
18.56 elims
8.10 objective elims
6,098 damage
7,377 healing

Again math:

Elims: 18.56 / 1.73 * 100 = 1072.83236994
Objective elims: 8.10 / 0.87* 100 = 931.034482759
Damage: 6098/ 442 * 100 = 1379.63800905
Healing: 10701 / 7377 * 100 = 145.05896706

Statistically speaking Bridgette does:

1072% more elims than Mercy.
931% more objective elims than Mercy.
1379% more damage than Mercy.

On the flip side Mercy does 45% more healing when compared to Bridgette.

So 45% more healing in trade for doing SIGNIFICANTLY less damage, eliminations and objective eliminations than Bridgette.

WE AREN’T EVEN TALKING ABOUT THE SHIELD, THE STUNS OR THE ARMOR GIVEN!!

LETS INCLUDE BRIDGETTE’S ARMOR INTO THIS MATH

Citations: h ttps://www.overbuff.com/heroes/brigitte/rankings

Where Bridgette also averages like 3.4k armor to like ~5.5k armor.

“BOTTOM VALUE”: 3.4k armor contribution.

3,400 (armor) + 7377 (healing)

3400 + 7377 = 10777 effective team sustain

Mercy heals for 10701 during a teamfight for her sustain of the team contribution. So let’s do this…

10701 / 10777 * 100 = 99.2947944697

SO WHEN INCLUDING ARMOR AT THE LOWER THRESHOLD WE TOOK, BRIDGETTE PROVIDES APPROXIMATELY THE SAME AMOUNT OF SUSTAIN AS MERCY DOES IN A TEAMFIGHT.

“TOP VALUE”: 5.5k armor contribution.

5,500 (armor) + 7377 (healing)

5500 + 7377 = 12877 effective team sustain

Mercy heals for 10701 during a teamfight for her sustain of the team contribution… (Do I really need to do this since the last one already showed it? Yes? Fine…)

12877 / 10701 * 100 = 120.334548173

So Bridgette contributes ~20% more sustain than Mercy on the higher end.

So a pause here to state: Bridgette when including armor sustain pummels Mercy into the dirt and back.

We’re not even including utility here.

We’re not even including the fact armor reduces any damage taken by 5 damage regardless of source providing a small mitigation barrier. And yet Bridgette’s total cumulative sum contributions DESTROYS Mercy.

Mercy vs Lucio

Mercy stats:

1.73 elims
0.67 objective elims
442 damage
10,701 healing

Lucio stats:
16.26 elims
8.26 objective elims
6,357 damage
8,975 healing

Again math:

Elims: 16.26 / 1.73 * 100 = 939.884393064
Objective elims: 8.26 / 0.87* 100 = 949.425287356
Damage: 6,357/ 442 * 100 = 1438.23529412
Healing: 10701 / 8,975 * 100 = 119.231197772

Statistically speaking Lucio does:

~940% more elims than Mercy.
949% more objective elims than Mercy.
1438% more damage than Mercy.

On the flip side Mercy does ~19% more healing then Lucio.

But for 19% less healing you get ALL OF THE OTHER STATS. That are approximately 9-14.5x more than Mercy does.

But wait, with Lucio there’s more!

Lucio’s soundbarrier provides shields to the entire team.

Providing A LOT of sustain (thanks for not having the stats online…) to the team and can prevent a team wipe outright.

So is Lucio really 20% behind Mercy in team sustain contribution? Certainly not!

Mercy vs Ana

Mercy stats:

1.73 elims
0.67 objective elims
442 damage
10,701 healing

Ana stats:
12.41 elims
5.29 objective elims
4,220 damage
9,186 healing

Again math:

Elims: 12.41 / 1.73 * 100 = 717.341040462
Objective elims: 5.29 / 0.87* 100 = 608.045977011
Damage: 4,220 / 442 * 100 = 954.751131222
Healing: 10,701 / 9,186 * 100 = 116.49248857

Statistically speaking Ana does:

717% more elims than Mercy.
608% more objective elims than Mercy.
954% more damage than Mercy.

On the flip side Mercy does 16.5% more healing then Ana. BUT THIS IS NOT INCLUDING DAMAGE REDUCTION FROM NANOBOOST, AND OTHER HEALERS HEALING MORE FROM THE HEAL INCREASE OF HER ANTI-NADE.

(Nor any of her other utility.)

And yet Ana is only a touch below Mercy in healing and brutally destroying her everywhere else.

CONCLUSION

Mercy is not fine. Mercy is not even CLOSE to fine.

Mercy is statistically a throw pick even in pure stats as shown here. This does NOT include stuns, this does NOT include nanoboosts, this does NOT include sound barriers, this does NOT include shields this does NOT include sleep darts or boops or the rest.

Mercy is statistically, in a domain where utility is not clearly shown, ABYSMAL.

She is not fine in any capacity or regard. She needs help and she needs it BADLY.

Her healing that she is DEDICATED TO (she cannot damage at the same time or powerboost at the same time) is only:

• ~94.5 of Moira’s healing (MERCY IS LOWER BY ~5.5%)
  • ~53% higher than Zenyatta’s
  • ~19% more healing than Lucio NOT INCLUDING SOUND BARRIER.
  • ~16% more healing than Ana. NOT including damage reductions from nanoboost or increased co-healer healing.
  • On the LOWER end of bridgette’s armor contribution 99.2947944697 (basically the same) as bridgette. On the HIGHER end of bridgette’s armor contribution bridgette offers 20% more team sustain than Mercy. HIGHER THAN MERCY.

Only approx 45% more direct healing than Bridgette when NOT including armor in any capacity.

Where Mercy is completely dominated in damage.

We’re talking MASSIVE differences in damage dealt, eliminations and objective kills.

Let me say it clearly: By picking Mercy YOU ARE A LIABILITY TO YOUR TEAM. STATISTICALLY SPEAKING. You aren’t offering enough healing compared to other healers to justify having up to 21x less damage dealt, 14x fewer eliminations, 14x fewer objective eliminations. In trade off for “more healing” (as stated very clearly in the math, Bridgette and Lucio clearly blur this line and Moira flat out has more healing.)

169 Likes

I am still reading this post, but so far I agree with this 100%

Her healing shouldn’t have, I repeat, her healing shouldn’t have not been touched. I think it is safe to say that Mass resurrection needs to come back as there are more than enough ways to counter it as well, and not only that, but all that was needed was LoS check and invulnerability removed, and a vertical movement arial/ movement on E. I would be satisfied.

77 Likes

As somebody who was suggesting 50hps, it’s not so much that nerfing her healing was ideal.

It’s that nerfing Rez/Valk was too controversial, and nerfing Regen/GA would heavily impact lower ranks.

Also, I think the Moira/Ana buffs counteracted the scaling on the Mercy nerf. Without those buffs, 50hps would have been about right.

That said, Mercy is due a buff from right now.

What’s strange to me is how few buff ideas I see.

It’s nearly all dead-on-arrival posts about multi-rez, or removing rez entirely.

4 Likes

I wonder why…

looks back at the last year

Oh!

10 Likes

I don’t want them the devs to remove Rez as it can be balance… the thing is, that I just have to be earned.

13 Likes

I don’t think nerfing her healing back to 50 HPS was the way they wanted to nerf her; but after multiple failed attempts, being a must-pick for a year, they decided to go for it.

They KNOW that Mercy at 50 hps is not going to perform well. When Ana was released, they buffed her healing to 60 hps so she “can maintain her status as a main healer”.

50 hps was just a desperate decision to bring her out of meta. In my opinion, they’re probably looking at ways to buff her again without keeping her in her OP status any longer.

13 Likes

Why is it so bad for Ana and Lucio to be meta? They haven’t been meta for such a long time.

6 Likes

Because that’s no excuse for a hero to be unbalanced. :man_facepalming:

31 Likes

What if we strived to make them all meta/viable for once instead of trying to throw each other under the damn bus?

revolutionary, I know.

49 Likes

I think most people acknowledge now that Mercy is a bit too weak and needs a buff. I like the idea of making the direct target of her beams in Valkyrie take 50-100% more effect (either healing or damage) so Valk feels a bit punchier and more effective.

That being said I think if Mercy is buffed alone she’ll just displace Moira, so I think Moira needs a little something too.

1 Like

I agree. I know im going to sound crazy saying this but Supports are so easy to balance. Just give Mercy 60HPS BOOM done she doesn’t need anymore than that.

5 Likes

Where did it say they don’t want them to be meta?

From what I’m reading is that; “No Mercy isn’t in the spot the devs THINKS she’s in”

It’s not about her being meta, its about her doing what the the devs have stated; that she should be the go to healer yet her healing would make her a poor choice since she can’t pump out enough.

Sure it’s consistent, and sometimes consistency is good in a game like this when no build up is needed; however with the increase to burst damage and tweaks to damage in general her healing out put is back to being too low like how it was at release-when the damage wasn’t as great as it is now.

I don’t know where you got the idea that they’re saying “Ana and Lucio shouldn’t be meta because Mercy isn’t”-makes me wonder if you even read the post.

4 Likes

Respectfully, Moira is in no danger of ever being replaced by Mercy. Moira is comfortably dominant to Mercy:

Moira offers:

1395% more elims than Mercy.
1406% more objective elims than Mercy.
1455% more damage than Mercy.
~5.5% more healing than Mercy.

15 Likes

Moira is barely used in high rank competitive and had almost no pickrate at any rank when Mercy was better. Moira competes directly with Mercy much more than Ana does.

1 Like

im sick of complaining mercy mains

9 Likes

But we were just there and Mercy was clearly overpowered and was climbing right back up to 100% pickrate. Mercy at 60 hp/s is overpowered. Even if you think Ana’s buff had something to do with her current usage, that revert would completely kill Moira and possibly Lucio.

4 Likes

I apologize that me taking a mathematical approach using valid statistical measures and tools that are widely accepted as being a part of this community offends you.

Although I’m not going to stop complaining, or using statistics and math to back up my claims. Mercy is in a bad position and I want to see her improve.

29 Likes

Well, I’d like to see Mercy at 55hps, or 50hps with a burst heal ability.

Plus whatever other buffs needed, if needed.

3 Likes

Assuming Mercy is brought into a viable state, what is then going to be done to stop complaints about her?

Because buffing her isn’t going to stop all of these Mercy threads fyi

Resurrect? Resurrect? That’s an enormous amount of utility. It’s not unusual for people (Mercy mains and non-Mercy mains alike) to consider it the most powerful non-ultimate ability in the entire game.

Or, you can consider it not utility and pretend it’s healing, in which case you have to add Mercy’s resurrections to her total healing since the game doesn’t agree with you. And really, it’s questionable to consider resurrection healing when you have the luxury of not having to keep a person from dying with it (since they’re already dead).

4 Likes