Competitive CTF Top 500 icon

Hello,
I reached Top 500 in competitive CTF last season, however I have not unlocked the Top 500 icon. I remember that this icon was unlockable through competitive arcade game modes. Have the requirements changed? I haven’t encountered any mention that this has changed.

3 Likes

Where is this stated?

1 Like

Same here. I finished at rank 147 for competitive CTF this season but, I only received the player title for it and I’m missing my Top 500 icon. Not only that, but the career profile stats also removed the proof of me hitting Top 500 in open queue in Season 36 as well. Please respond to this thread with your own issues and create your own posts so that I can add them to the list and hopefully we can get these issues resolved. We need to make our voices heard and make the devs give us the rewards we earned.

1 Like

Seconding Lesbun. Could you show us this announcement or update regarding the removal of Top 500 icons for competitive gamemodes outside of role queue and open queue?

1 Like

I chanced upon this thread and thought I’d share some information that might help. I’m a current T500 Role Queue player with multiple friends in the T500 as well and I can confirm that as far as I know, you can no longer get the T500 icons for being in T500 in OW2. Everybody I know who has the regular orange T500 icons (including myself) had them from OW1, and it seems that the T500 icons are no longer earnable rewards in OW2 (at least in Role Queue) and have been replaced with the Competitive Titles instead.

The only communication I’ve found from Blizzard regarding this is in this post where they say:
" Competitive Rewards
Competitive season will be aligned with our overall seasonal schedule, including the Battle Pass. We’re removing the commemorative sprays and icons players earned each season, including the top 500 sprays and icons. We’re introducing new limited Competitive titles for your name card that you can earn as you climb the ranks. These titles will be a way to show off to other players how high you climbed in a season. You can only earn these titles at the end of the current Competitive season and only use them in the season following."

& similarly in this forum post they mention:

Highest Skill Tier Rewards
Bronze 65 CP
Silver 125 CP
Gold 250 CP
Platinum 500 CP
Diamond 750 CP + Diamond Challenger Title
Master 1200 CP + Master Challenger Title
Grandmaster 1750 CP + Grand Master Challenger Title

TOP 500 LEADERBOARDS

The best of the best players compete across five separate Top 500 Leaderboards. Within Role Queue, one for each role, along with an additional combined average leaderboard. The combined Role Queue Top 500 Leaderboard will be based on the player’s average skill rating across all three roles. To be eligible for a role-specific leaderboard, players must complete at least 25 games in that role. To qualify for the combined Top 500 Leaderboard, players must be eligible for all three role-specific leaderboards. Open Queue will have its own Leaderboard that will require at least 50 games played within the game mode for qualification. At the end of the season, players who earn a spot within the Top 500 players for any of these leaderboards on their platform and region will receive an exclusive title instead of their rank.

In both posts they mention the T500 players only receiving competitive titles and it does seem indeed that it is now impossible to get the old T500 icons in OW2. Hope this information helps!

4 Likes

I see. While I personally disagree with the removal of the Top 500 icons in Overwatch 2, it seems the devs have decided the game is better off having them replaced by player titles and I cannot help but feel disappointed with their loss. Even still, if I cannot earn a Top 500 icon from Overwatch 2, then I will continue pestering the devs to fix the open queue competitive leaderboards for Season 36 so that I can be given the rewards I rightfully earned back then as well. That is a bug I have still not given up on and I’d be grateful if you to help me spread the word about that issue too. And thanks for the clarification.

2 Likes

For sure, if you managed to qualify for any of the old T500 rewards, you definitely deserve to have them! The new T500 titles in OW2 are temporary and only last for one season which means you will be left with no record of your accomplishments once the game eventually deletes the old leaderboards after a few seasons. It really pales in comparison to the T500 rewards we used to get in OW1 where we received icons and sprays that lasted forever. So yeah, I definitely support you in getting those rewards you earned back then and will spread the word about the issue for you too, I just read your post about getting kicked off the leaderboards at the end of S36 and that is something that definitely needs to be addressed.

3 Likes

Yeah I certainly hope the devs feel the same way because as it stands we still have no idea if they have even seen my thread, or any of the posts under it, let alone acknowledge it or provide an estimated time frame for its fix. And despite it all I refuse to give up the hope that one day I’ll be given what I earned. Thank you Brigitte, your words mean more than you know. I really do appreciate it.

3 Likes

But why? Why would Blizzard stop giving out top 500 player icons for players who have earned the same as players in OW1 who did get such icons and can still equip them in OW2? How is that fair OR fun?

I just ended top 500 in season 5 for the first time on my main account and I didn’t receive the icon and frankly, I’m quite disappointed because I’ve been working towards that goal since the old rewards were available back in OW1. Blizzard really doesn’t seem to want us to be happy with our accomplishments in their game. In a handful seasons or so there won’t even be a record anymore of my first season ending top 500.

1 Like

That, I wish I knew. My guess is that the Devs wanted to incentivize consistent competitive play through only awarding seasonal rewards, which ended up coming in the form of player titles. Player icons and sprays go against this philosophy being permanent rewards, and where then removed with the launch of Overwatch 2. But as is widely evident, competitive is currently in the worst state is has ever been, and the lack of progression and non-permanent rewards are major factors in that. As for whether the Devs will go back on this change, I can certainly hope but the Devs have given no indication of doing so.

And for what it’s worth, I greatly empathize with your frustrations, it has been almost a year since Overwatch 2 launched and I am still missing my Top 500 icons and sprays too. I have no doubt there are thousands of others who put forth incredible amounts of time and effort and expected to be given these rewards, not knowing that they are no longer earnable. But as much as I wish there was, there is nothing we can do about it besides voice our frustrations and hope the Devs will eventually listen.

Yeah I have no idea why they don’t want to give any permanent Top 500 rewards anymore. I understand that they want to push the whole new Nameplate customisation with the titles and whatnot, but even then I think they could just give permanent titles like “S6 Top 500 Challenger” instead of a generic “Top 500 Challenger” title that expires after one season. It’s not even worth the 3 hour queue times for a single game in T500 Support (and do that 50 times to qualify for the rewards) just to get a temporary title that expires after 2 months.

1 Like

Just copying my response here since I felt it was relevant: Now that would be a simple and elegant solution to issue of season-based player titles. As such, Blizzard probably won’t do it. If HiRez of all companies has better implemented competitive rewards than Blizzard, then this truly is the worst timeline.

1 Like

Also, let’s not forget that you can’t even see players’ current ranks when looking at the scoreboard and/or on the pre-game lobby screen. They don’t care about player satisfaction anymore it seems, sadly.

1 Like

And let’s not forget the fact we can no longer see the leaderboards from Overwatch 1 now. And for whatever reason, the Season 1 leaderboards are gone now too, which is probably a bug given that it wasn’t supposed to be hidden until Season 8. And the fact there are thousands of players who have not received their competitive rewards for the past four consecutive seasons due to bugs. And the hundreds of players who are still missing their Top 500 rewards from Overwatch 1. I have a nearly 30k view megathread compiling all these competitive issues and yet, no Blizzard Dev has cared enough to ever respond…

Sorry for the late reply. Is this seriously a thing? What’s the thread you’re talking about? I would be pissed if people were getting their rewards and I wasn’t.

1 Like

I’m glad you asked. Here’s a link to the competitive bugs megathread:

It’s already surpassed 31k views since my last comment, but unfortunately, my Top 500 rewards for Season 36 are still missing. Not to mention the end-of-season competitive rewards for most players between seasons 2-5. I do hope that with the wiped career profiles bug fix coming in season 8 that they will be returned to me, but I don’t have high hopes. Please do check out the megathread, it archives and documents almost every competitive bug since Overwatch 2’s launch. And please do help in spreading the word about this megathread and other related threads regarding these issues too, anything would be greatly appreciated.