Guess which item was last in line?

So since I have less than two weeks left I’m sorting out my nonseasonal gear. I always end up with a whole bunch of the same item because when I pick them up I think they might be good, but eventually I have to select the best of them.

I generally collect them all, and put them in order according to the the value of their Legendary Power. For example, the Dead Man’s Legacy quiver has up to +200% to Multishot. So from the left I line them up, +200% and down.

Guess which items are always the last in line? That’s right, the Ancient ones. And why?

Because Ancient items roll like crap.

I threw out all the DMLs below 195%, and that left me with +200%, +199%, +199%, +198%, and +195%. Of course, the Ancient one is 195%, the last one in the list. I threw out two other Ancients that were in the +180%s, and three other normal ones that were +191% to +194%.

It’s like this with almost every item. Put them in line according to Legendary Power, and the Ancient ones will always be at the bottom of the barrel.

Why is that?

Epilogue: I was lucky enough to pick up one Primal one (equipped), and fortunately, Blizzard made sure that that one always rolls with +12 Discipline, so I was able to roll off one useless property for an additional +15% to Multishot. So I have 1000, 1000, 20, 10, 15, 12, 200.

1 Like

Or could be because you have 10 chances to get a good regular one and 1 chance to get a good ancient one. The range is 150% to 200%, so roughly a 1/20 chance to get a DML with 195%+ and a 1/200 chance to get an ancient one.

If it makes you feel better, I usually get 1 or 2 a season that are ancient and 198%+. Now as far as a good ancient Yangs, those are elusive for me.

If only this were true. Think I have found 3-4 Primal DML’s in my D3 history and none have rolled with discipline, including the one I found this season. Now I am stuck with Sentry damage on the one I have :frowning: , so a wasted affix for my UE DH.

2 Likes

I have my tinfoil hat ready and popcorn bag at microwave steady. It’s not because Blizzard hates you and monitor your game to pour a turn of shots whenever you fail to accomplish your loot to be perfect. Allegedly, at some occassions game may decide to reward you, or only toss you random loot with nonoptimal stats. We can’t exactly say if game code can tell them apart.

Answer is simple; it’s just random being random. Only 10% of the legendary loot you encounter can be Ancient, and rest of the legendary loot would be regular grade. By the laws of possibilities and some mathcraft; you must have realize that you’ll encounter a good rolled regular legendary more often than of Ancient grade.
If you take random 100 legendary items in bulk, with 90 regular grade and 10 ancient grade, only like 1-2 of them will be godly and it’s highly possible that those godly ones will be among the regular grade loot at 9 times out of 10. Combinations make or break the item; while high grade only ensures it will roll for higher stat range, quality to qualify usage is not guaranteed.

6 Likes

I’ve lost count of the times you’ve claimed this sort of thing.
Every single time we’ve investigated the data proved your claim not to be true.

Every. Single. Time.

4 Likes

Some RNG is necessary but sometimes there’s just too much of it.

I’ve said it several times, items need either more predetermined affixes or at least have their available affix pools significantly trimmed down. Offhands in particular are notoriously difficult to roll well since they have the largest pools of possible affixes to roll with on top of their normal roll ranges and often very few predetermined affixes. Compare that to for example CoE ring which always rolls with main stat, CHC and socket, regardless of quality, making it one of the easiest items to roll great as the affix pool is limited too.

There are massive disparities in RNG between items.

8 Likes

Worst item ever : the Compass Rose :joy:

3 Likes

Ninth Cirri Satchel ain’t no picnic either. A RNG range of 150% on the legendary effect and 2/3 random properties that must roll right. (If you want to equip it that is)

2 Likes

Most of the DH Quivers and Crusader shields are among the items that are very hard to get correct rolls.

6 Likes

Same thing with mojos, so

2 Likes

I do wish that some had a better understanding of probability and statistics.

Hey I get it. If I have 10,000 regular DML’s, and 10,000 Ancient DML’s, I’ll probably end up with just as many really good Ancient ones as I do regular ones. But I don’t get that. I get 10,000 regular DML’s and 1000 Ancient DMLs. What I’ll get is more likely to look like this:
Throw out the best 10% of all 20,000 of these, and the worst 25% of them, and then take an average value of the Legendary powers of all the remaining normal and Ancient ones. The average Legendary power for the Ancient ones is always going to be lower than the average Legendary power for the normal ones. You could graph the results and there may be a few places where they intersect, but generally that Ancient line is going to be lower than the normal line.

Now you can trust the word of the guy who plays one account, and is a mathematician who’s hung up on statistics and probabilities, or you can trust the observations of a player who has played this game on a daily basis on six accounts over the last 12 years and has seen literally millions of items drop. Trends in the results of these drops cannot be ignored, and drawing general conclusions based on those trends is certainly valid.

Once again, the game may be following a certain set of randomly programmed behaviors, but when I’m playing, I react to how it feels. Not what the math shows.

Take that stupid Compass Rose for example. The thing almost never drops with a socket, and more often than not you’ll get a completely useless list of defensive properties, especially so if the thing is Ancient.

Right now I have 13 Compass Rose rings in my inventory. Four of those are Ancient. I had other Ancient ones but they were so horrible I couldn’t keep them for any reason. All four of these are brimming with useless defensive stats, and not a single one has a socket. One of them does have IAS, and another one has an average damage roll. Other than that it’s Resistance, Armor, Life Regen/on Hit, and one has CDR (which I can use).

Of the nine normal examples, five dropped with a socket. Two of those dropped with CHD and CHC, two with average damage, and one with IAS. The last four don’t have a socket, but each one of those has at least one of average damage, CHC, or IAS, and I can roll on a socket.

What about getting a Traveler’s Pledge with some elemental damage?

Now I don’t know how things are with other classes, because I generally play Demon Hunter and Wizard. Maybe sometimes a Monk, and some weird times a Barbarian, so I don’t really know a lot about the gear for other classes, but if you ask me how any DH piece of gear is likely to drop, I can tell you, pretty accurately, from experience, not with a calculator.

Correct. So next season right down what all the MS rolls are on your regular ones and ancient ones. Then take an average. Both should be around 175% +/- a few percent. As for your regular one being the best, well, it is 10x more likely the regular one will be the best.

This is usually your problem, confirmation bias. You can’t go with what you feel like. You need to actually do the work.

I hate Urshi. I always feel she is jamming me at 60%. One season I did around 100 GRs with all gem upgrades at 60% and charted them. My results were like 59.4% which is totally within the realm of possibility.

I always feel I rarely get a stupid ancient puzzle ring. This season, I tested it. So far I have found 71 puzzle rings, 6 have been ancient. I am slightly under the statistical average, but 71 is a small sample size, so my results are still in the range I can expect to happen.

No hate here, just do the work and actually test it out. The results are probably not what you are going to expect.

Affixes are different as some are weighted more than others. This is why when you reroll at that Prime Evil mystic, you are way more likely to get armor on your amulet than you are cc/cd/elemental/socket. They make the affixes people actually want artificially harder to get so you will play more.

3 Likes

And this is why you’re still making threads like this, i.e. because you feel it’s broken despite the facts, maths and statistics proving that it’s not.

If I have £5 in the bank, but I say I feel like I’m a billionaire, would it be a problem if people pointed out that I’m not a billionaire?

2 Likes

Several of these guys are frauds. They know most people are not good at math, so they sling around a bunch of made up or plagiarized formulas to project the illusion they’re smart. I see it on every game forum I post in where math is a factor, including this one. They know most will never know any better. Take them with a grain of salt.

On the same token, without evidence, it’s still anecdotal, which can be useful, but in a lot of cases, not as credible.

Stone / StoneOld / Slamboney should know better precisely because he has a multi-year history of making these sorts of feelings-based threads which are not supported by the evidence. When we actually get a claim where it’s easily possible to investigate his claims, and we do, it turns out that his claims are absolute bunkum.

Exhibit A…

He switched to a brand new thread with his crafting results (after about 5 weeks of saying he’d provide them)…

So, yes, you’ll forgive me if I place absolutely zero weight on how he feels things work when we’ve repeatedly proven they work exactly how the statistics / maths say they should.

5 Likes

Cool story, bro. Not interested in your attempts to try and vilify people.

Don’t give 2 :poop:s how you feel about his feelings, sorry.

I already addressed with him that anecdotal evidence isn’t always credible.

Since you commented in.this thread, has anyone in this thread made up a formula or “plagiarized” a formula?

The area (A) of a circle is π multiplied by the radius (r) squared, whose formula is:

A = πr^2

Did I “plagarize” this formula? I am not sure that one can plagarize a formula.

6 Likes

…every time I come across that phrase (or alike) my subconscious comes up with:

:smiling_imp:

Be careful what you wish for
'cause wishes do come true
The monster you’re creating
Looks uncannily like you

So you think when trolls spew unproven nonsense it’s fine but when those trolls get called out for their BS they’re suddenly victims?

Meteorblade provided evidence on Stone’s several year long streak of spewing nonsense. He’s not villifying anyone. You on the other hand seem to be willing to defend trolls due to your personal animosity towards certain people like Meteorblade.

5 Likes

I don’t even know why I’m even bothering to answer something like this…

Just because you don’t agree with someone doesn’t make them a troll. This isn’t 2005.

Mmmhmmmm, I’m sure he did.

I wasn’t defending anybody, even if I was, I don’t need to justify myself to you. I clearly stated to the OP that anecdotal evidence isn’t always credible. Nice selective reading and attempt to gaslight.