DH Weapon Crafting Results Are Finally In!

Here’s the situation.

During the Season I generally level up solo, no power leveling, and I don’t worry so much about leveling up quickly as I do about obtaining crafting plans, so I start every Season (and new characters non-Season just for fun) by doing Bounties. I enjoy crafting the low-level sets and weapons, but due to the scarcity of materials, I am often disgusted by what I end up with. These crafting sessions usually end with my furious Forum rants about horrible crafting results.

After one particularly dismal run where I spent all my materials crafting weapons and armor, not one item of which had main stat on it, just Vitality, I laid out the “No Main Stat…” rant.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/d3/t/no-main-stat-or-lets-see-how-long-it-can-take-to-chart-the-results-of-450-crafts/4917

I said that with a ratio of about 8:1 I get Vitality but no Dexterity on an item.

So naturally Meteorblade (whom everyone knows is a robot) showed up, and proved to me that statistically my claim of 8:1 is unsubstantiated and farcical. Then we went back and forth about crafting items, and which items to craft, and he crafted 90 weapons where the results were basically 50-50. I set about corroborating or refuting that result by imagining that he may have crafted the wrong item, or got exceptional results based on a smaller sample size, so I decided to craft more bows, and then more, and I have now ended up crafting 50 of every Legendary and Set bow available to a Demon Hunter (save one). 450 bows in all, in the order they appeared in the crafting list (not by required level).

Below is a link to a Google spreadsheet, wherein I charted the results of every craft, the number of Legendary and Ancient versions, and for each tracked property, its percentage of occurrence among that group, and among all groups. There is a link to an image file of each bow, a table and graph for each grade of each bow, and summary tables and graphs at the bottom of the spreadsheet. I made some interesting observations, and some fairly firm conclusions.

Spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/177BtrYpUDUTq75sAo8TGXTJEGhoWJxxIOyljQAaeru0/edit?usp=sharing

PDF Version
https://diablo3-stone.000webhostapp.com/_diablo/_docs/CraftingResults.pdf

Weapon Crafting Results Summary

The Sydyru Crust Ancient bow had probably the worst results of all bows crafted. Of three Ancient items, all three had Vitality, none had Dexterity. Of the 47 Legendary ones, about 15% had Vitality with no Dexterity, about 34% had Dexterity, but none of them had both, and over half of them had neither.

I didn’t craft an Unbound Bolt because it’s essentially the same bow as the Sydyru Crust, aside from the selection of guaranteed properties, so I didn’t expect the results to be substantially different.

Venomhusk and Longshot will roll with two ranges for Dexterity and Vitality: 300-329 and 330-524 for the Venomhusk, while the Longshot rolls 45-55 and 56-73. Since these bows do not seem to roll an Ancient version, I assumed that the higher range is the equivalent; therefore, I treated listings in these higher ranges as Ancient.

Arcane Barb was an extremely popular bow from (I want to say) V1.04 onward. It was the “go to” bow when you were a Demon Hunter and wanted a Legendary weapon, and none would drop. So it seems that the developers paid a bit of attention to the way an Arcane Barb bow would drop, and as you can see, as far as rolling with Dexterity alone and with Vitality, it’s an obvious winner in this experiment. Of the Legendary versions, about 59% had Dexterity, and about 72% had Vitality, while about 39% had both properties but only 6.5% had neither. Of the four Ancient bows in this group, only one had Vitality with no Dexterity, none of them had neither property, and only one had both, but it was a Primal. It’s interesting to note that this was the only Primal item among all 450 bows crafted, and since we generally expect one Primal in 500 Legendary drops, this bow supports that expectation.

I must admit that the level 57 Starspine bow was unexpected. Like Arcane Barb, Venomhusk, and Longshot, both Dexterity and Vitality roll in two ranges, in this case: 270-299, and 300-329; therefore, like these other bows, I treated items that rolled in the higher range as Ancient for statistical purposes. Here’s the unexpected part; every bow rolled in the upper, “Ancient” range, every one had Dexterity, and half of those had Vitality. None of them had neither. One thing I can say definitively is that if you are a Demon Hunter and you craft a Starspine bow, it will have Dexterity, and it will have a 50-50 chance of having Vitality.

Hallowed Condemnation is a level 70 Set hand crossbow and the Legendary version is notable because of the 43 items in this group, 65% had Dexterity, 53% had Vitality 44% had both, and only 23% had neither. Of the remaining seven Ancient versions, 57% had Dexterity, 71% had Vitality, 29% had both, and none had neither.

The Hallowed Judgment, the level 60 version of the above hand crossbow is curious. It also rolls in two ranges like the other bows, but the upper limit of both ranges is the same: 300-524, and 330-524. Because of this, there’s no way to really classify one of these bows as Ancient, and in 50 crafts, I didn’t see an actual Ancient example; therefore, the Ancient chart remains empty, while I have highlighted properties that rolled in the low range, and those that were above 450, which for level 60 is a very good roll.

Like the Hallowed Judgment bow, the Deadeye hand crossbow rolls in two ranges, with the upper limit of both ranges also being the same: 164-239, and 203-239. Because of this, there’s no way to really classify one of these bows as Ancient, and in 50 crafts, I didn’t see an actual Ancient example. Therefore, the Ancient chart remains empty, while I have highlighted properties that rolled in the low range, and those that were above 220, which for level 41 is a very good roll.

Surprisingly, like the Starspine, every Deadeye had Dexterity, and nearly 3/4 of those had Vitality. None of them had neither. One thing I can say definitively is that if you are a Demon Hunter and you craft a Deadeye bow, it will have Dexterity, and it will have a better than 50-50 chance of having Vitality.

I’m not sure whether to invalidate and exclude the Deadeye and Hallowed Judgment results, as they seem to be such outliers.

Blitzbolter rolled better than expected, with less than a third of the Legendary versions having Vitality with no Dexterity, while 61% had Dexterity present, 63% had Vitality present, 30% had both, and barely 4.4% had neither. Of the remaining four Ancient versions, 75% had Dexterity, all of them had Vitality, and none had neither.

Of all 450 bows crafted, only about 22% had Vitality with no Dexterity. 61% had Dexterity present, while 54% had Vitality present. Nearly a third of all bows crafted had both present, while only 17% had neither.

So it seems that bad results happen, and the only cure for it is quantity. I tend to have bad luck, it seems, because I craft two or three or five items at a time. What I now recommend is to craft at least 10 at a time, because unless you are crafting a Starspine or a Deadeye, you’re probably going to be lacking Dexterity.

Well, that’s the end of my summary analysis. I hope you have a look at the spreadsheet, and have some comments of your own on this topic.

2 Likes

I worked pretty hard on this; I thought at least one person would have a comment on it…

So long story short, you finally proved it to yourself that Meteor was right about rng/statistics, and now you finally believe him.

2 Likes

Something which seemed extremely unlikely, so…

I contributed to the thread because the claim you made seemed highly unlikely to me but also because it was very easily testable to see if the claim was true or not. With just a couple of hours of testing and posting the results I demonstrated that your claim was not true. You responded saying that you wanted to do your own crafting to see if you got the same results as I did or not. You then prevaricated for five weeks before making this thread.

You’ve made a very pretty spreadsheet, with graphs, and lots of other irrelevant stuff but the part that actually pertained to your original claim is summarised here…

Legendary weapons…
188 of 356 crafts had VIT present
205 of 356 crafts had DEX present
That’s a 0.917:1 ratio of VIT to DEX.

Ancient weapons…
54 of 94 crafts had VIT present
71 of 94 crafts had DEX present
That’s a 0.718:1 ratio of VIT to DEX.

You don’t appear to have combined these, but let’s do that too…
242 of 450 crafts had VIT present
276 of 450 crafts had DEX present
That’s a 0.877:1 ratio of VIT to DEX.

How about if we combine the results of my 180 crafts and your 450 crafts…
351 of 630 crafts had VIT present
380 of 630 crafts had DEX present
That’s a 0.924:1 ratio of VIT to DEX.

I would have commented earlier if you’d actually provided these results in your original thread because it would have shown up in in my notifications. But, anyway, 0.924:1 is a long way from 8:1, wouldn’t you say?

I respond to your threads where you make statistical claims precisely because you tend to base them on how you feel things are, rather than how things actually are.

I understand that maybe you’re upset that your claim was debunked but that’s not a valid reason to make ad hominem attacks on the character of the person that debunked it.

Yes, but now I have other questions:

• The Blacksmith can craft 30 weapons at once. Does crafting and looking at them one-at-a-time change anything?
  • Are the results consistent also with Armor and Set types?

These questions will require further experimentation.

lol…Not upset at all. But look at the positive side of what robots can do…My characterization certainly was not an attack.

Yup…just about 50-50, or 1:1. A long ways off from 8:1…I admit…I was angry…

And despite all these neutral crafting results, this damn game insists on giving my brand new Wizard an Ancient pair of Sage’s Purchase gloves with, ready for this?

992 Vitality
110 All Res
9577 Regen
7% RCR

+248 XP
+1 yd PuR

Suuuh…Weeet!

Ohhh…And I just burned through every one of my very few Veiled Crystals rolling for 3 sockets on a Demon’s Marrow chest armor that had 2 sockets on it.

Shouldn’t armor pieces WANT to roll a socket?

Emotionally motivated, furious forum rants, angry… but not upset at all.