Who should land a killing blow on Sylvanas?

He’s questioned her three times in recent memory.

1 Like

But not one did he not follow orders. She’s shocked and surprised him but he’s always followed through.

But wait, the only thing I remember him questioning was the killing at The Gathering, Teldrassil surprised him. I don’t know what this 3rd instance is your referring to.

Dark Mirror, The Gathering, Teldrassil.

oh. Four. He seemed pretty hurt about blowing Lordaeron up.

You’re moving yonder goalpost. He questioned her. I didn’t say that he acted counter to her orders.

1 Like

Ah yes, because using someone’s specific trauma as a weapon against them just because they’re a villain is the most just and heroic thing to do, and it certainly wouldn’t exacerbate Blizzard’s sketchy reputation for how they write female characters.

My favorite part of every X-Men storyline is when they defeat Magneto and stick him back into a concentration camp.

I agree wholeheartedly.

For the sake of reducing toxicity in the lore-following section of the fanbase, having the player kill Sylvanas (though I hope it never happens for similar reasons you point out) might be the only option for Blizzard. Alliance, Horde honorbros, and nelf fans in particular could still feel vindicated as a representative of their own motives.

The lowliest among us, the Sylvanas fanboys, would probably be the most upset. MAYBE ultra diehard nelf fans too, who would be angry they don’t get a twenty minute live action stage performance in which Tyrande delivers a lengthy soliloquy in Darnassian gibberish before eviscerating Sylvanas with her bare hands and flinging her flayed corpse into the moon, where it explodes.

You do realize that Sylvanas fans didn’t write the story, right? And that Sylvanas is a fictional character, not a real person, so whether or not she’s evil is an irrelevant factor in whether or not people are “allowed” to like her? Yagarr is advocating for a perfectly reasonable position that tries to make the best of a bad situation.

Also, night elves are not gone. Blizzard has never shown any actual consideration towards population numbers, resources, or logistics unless it’s to justify whatever story decision they want. I’m a night elf fan just as much as I’m a Sylvanas fan, and Teldrassil is still painful to think about to this day, but it isn’t the end of night elves, just one extra notch on the “Blizzard’s favorite punching bag” championship belt.

I’ll be frank. It’s selfish to think that just because Blizzard has screwed you over, that means that no one else gets to have any compromise or enjoyment. Sylvanas fans don’t need to suffer for you to get satisfaction out of the story, just as you never needed to suffer for Horde fans to get satisfaction out of the story. I’m sorry that Blizzard so utterly failed to recognize that, and I’ve desperately been trying to steer the fandom away from falling into that trap.

11 Likes

Haven’t read Dark Mirror so I wouldn’t know.

I doubt it. He could give two s**t’s about Lorderon, his concern was for Sylvanas.

No I’m not. I’m stating what actually happen. Did he not follow through? He did question her at the gathering, she explained and he did nothing about it. Also in the situations I mentioned, Teldrassil and the gathering especially the former, he was shocked and surprised. The Gathering was the only situation where he questioned her.

:face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

We’re going into the realm of death and we’re talking about ‘killing blows’. Blizzard has an easy out to basically have any character with even a passing connection to Sylvanas get a kill without stretching lore all that much.
This just seems like a weird topic.

Vol’Jin and Tyrande.

Troll King and Troll Queen.

If you really want speculation, just go read any of the other multitude of threads on this topic.

3 Likes

Did you miss the part where I corrected myself and said…

or did you read what you wanted to?

Troll Queen? I think you mean Telanji.

It was a joke, since a lot of her in game lines sound odd to me, sounds like shes attempting a troll accent and not doing a very good job when she talks.

There are some cases where her accent sounds a bit African, and that’s usually what is used for the Trolls. Which is ironic because the voice actor is white. But anyway I’ve picked up on that, part of the reason I think that Angela Bassett should play the character of they evergreen redo a live version of Warcraft but that’s off topic.

1 Like

Well, for Zandalari. The other troll tribes sound more Caribbean.

1 Like

I think Tyrande should kill her in a 1v1 battle, no raid boss, no dungeon boss, just the end cutscene of a scenario.

2 Likes

True. They need to find a consensus for their accents. Why in the world is Shandris British?

One explanation could be regional and generational accent differences. The night elf empire was massive, and its timeline fron Azshara’s days to now is longer than any human culture we might compare it to on Earth. Accents and dialects can change wildly over the course of decades, let alone millennia.

A more obvious explanation is just voice actor differences and choices made early on that would be weird to change now. And it’s perfectly reasonable to handwave what can’t be changed for those reasons! But I like to add my own little headcanon just for fun.

For example, Jaina doesn’t have a thick Kul Tiran accent. It’s easy to say her voice actress just never gave her one from the start, and it’d be weird to retcon now, but I like to think Jaina just trained herself out of it so she’d be taken more seriously by her peers.

Looking at how characters are voiced can also be a fun exercise in tracing different tropes in American media. Illidan and Malfurion both seem to have the weird “British-ish” accents Americans might associate with more experience, intensity, or wisdom. Many a Hollywood movie features gladiators in ancient Rome, pharaohs in Egypt, and even aliens from other planets all speaking with a similar accent.

The British-ish accent can be heard from a lot of night elves. It’s slightly lilting and spoken softly, toward the front of the mouth. Pretty standard elf-y way of speaking. (Except in the case of Illidan, who speaks every line as if Sargeras himself were grabbing the man by his other pair of warglaives and slowly squeezing.) Overall, it seems this accent isn’t based on any group in particular except the vague concept of “British”.

On the other hand, different human cultures which are much more comparable to familiar demographics on Earth (at least as Americans stereotype them), such as Victorian London (Gilneas), nationalist Prussia/N**i Germany (The Scarlet Crusade), Appalachia and/or the American South (Westfall), bear accents which correspond more accurately with those groups.

Essentially, it’s fun to see how fantasy groups in American media which don’t quite have a parallel with Earth’s cultures (or whose inspirations aren’t familiar to most Americans) are assigned different accents according to the traits associated with those accents.

1 Like

The Player. I’m tired of Blizzard focusin’ on their comic book superheroes.

1 Like

Wow. You really delved into this didn’t you.

True but, and I’m in bad canon too lol, she grew up around Tyrande and not in her area of the Empire. You think she’d lose it over time. The lore gives up conflicting age descriptions of Shandris in WotA so I like to think of her as a fairly young child during that time.

Here’s anther idea. Didn’t Daelin send her to Dal to train as a kid, she could have lost it over time or got rid of it to fit in.

I think this is how it was in W3. I think one of the perfect NE female voices is Lyessa Bloomwatcher.

Tyrande because of the Burning of Teldrassil. Plus when Anduin brings up the treaty/ceasefire with the Horde under it’s Council management Tyrande rejects it and states that she’ll only sign in in Sylvanas’s blood.

3 Likes

Just a funny thought came into my head. Imagine this being literal, like, someone from the Horde kills Sylvanas, and Tyrande just receives a mailbox with her head and a peace treaty written in her blood.

4 Likes