This is why the graphics changed

I remember standing in line at Blizzcon, and everyone was complaining about how awful the art-style change was. It was busy and unreadable.

People wanted their Warcraft 3 style graphics back, and they gave that feedback.

You can disagree, but that is why they changed the art style to look more like the classic game.

I, for one, think the more classic look is a lot more readable and better for gameplay.

5 Likes

What does the art style has to do with worst terrain, worst trees, worst shadows and so on? I actually don’t mind the units, they look great… The problem is with everything else, the units just look odd. I still like the game but… Meh…

22 Likes

I really hope they find another way. I mean the models look amazing just the rest feels not finished at all. Hopefully they read/hear every feedback and not only those of guys of Blizzcon and Reddit

1 Like

if they go for more cartoony look, then i would like them to make the models more cartoony, no point of having realistic models if the rest is cartoonish. its either cartoonish or realistic.

I would prefer more realistic. (cinematic look )

2 Likes

What people? People loved the artstyle when the demo was first broadcast and I’m one of them. Stop lying.

1 Like

I fcking hated it so you better stop lying.

1 Like

Stop being delusional, the only reason they chopped down graphics it’s because they had no time to make the game run at 60 FPS 4K with Blizzcon2018 graphics, last thing they care is listening to us

4 Likes

Hate it or love it, get this, the artstyle stayed EXACTLY the same on the models with an exception of downgraded graphics and terrible terrain. You’re ok with that?

_https://preview.redd.it/91tzvvvvjg141.png?auto=webp&s=73b682274363ffc60744d780305fd694c09e2064

the demo is a marketing gig made to look good and the beta looks almost as good.
the team have said game optimization would be the last thing they will be fixing before launch so I believe they will work on finishing the terrain and shadows and it’ll look just like the demo.

It doesn’t even look good though…

https://i.ibb.co/6tcmqRp/reforged.jpg

^ I made this comparison the other day. I literally just fu&#ed with the color/contrast and replicated the ugly grey filter that was over the original 2018 version. Sorry… by “ugly grey filter” I mean uber realistic ATMOSPHERE.

The only other difference is they had the shadows cranked up by like 50%.

It’s like so many people are horny for something that took me 5 minutes to replicate in photoshop, which Blizzard can probably flip on and off by changing a few values…

BUT WE’RE RUNNING OUT OF TIME!!! OH MUH GERDDD…

1 Like

I’m genuinely confused on why you decided to crank down the saturation for the 2019 beta, is this what you think people are complaining about? In fact the screenshot for 2018 looks way better saturated while 2019 still looks like crap on both ends. Maybe you don’t have a good enough PC to know what good graphics is and think brightness and saturation are all that matter?

2 Likes

What happened to the shadows on the grass? What happened to the trees? Where is the lighting? Where is the reflection?

3 Likes

“Maybe you don’t have a good enough PC to know what good graphics is”

I mean I have a $3400 Alienware ALX that’s less than a year old, w/GTX 2080. Pretty sure that qualifies as a good PC.

“I’m genuinely confused on why you decided to crank down the saturation for the 2019 beta”

A simple experiment to show the “realistic atmosphere” people were complaining about was nothing more than a simple adjustment to contrast and saturation…

“In fact the screenshot for 2018 looks way better”

The only thing I see that’s different aside from the thick layer of grey smog covering everything, are the aggressive “shadow puppets” being casted on the terrain by every object on the screen.

This discussion has already taken place a few times. We realize you spergs love the RTX shadows that nobody who plays multiplayer in their right mind would want to look at for more than 5 minutes…

We get it though, graphics look better as you make things more realistic, the problem is where realism gets in the way of game play, and for multiplayer, literally every unit on the screen casting black shadows onto everything is something people think they want, but they don’t…

Just look at the Unreal Engine video a few people posted. Like 60% of the objects on the screen are covered in complete darkness, 100% BLACK shadows.

Looks cool? Yeah… for sure. Would anyone want to play a multiplayer RTS like this? No…

It’s easy to look at still shots and point out what looks better, it’s harder to watch a video of both, side by side, and accept the reality that games are more fun when you don’t have 600 environmental effects on the screen, all moving around, drawing your eye away from what’s actually important.

Sorry bud but good graphics and good visibility are not mutually exclusive. This is simple game design 101, if blizzard can’t even find the balance between the two then maybe they should hire better artists. Also the shadows in say… 99% of PC games can be lowered or removed in the game graphical settings if you do find them too distracting. Same with the environmental assets, bloom, reflection, particle effects, shadering, whatever crap you hate to see.

Why are you taking that away from us? I seriously cannot compute that.

4 Likes

“Why are you taking that away from us? I seriously cannot compute that.”

Nobody is “taking” anything away from you… The game hasn’t been released yet. You have no idea what is being worked on right now. Nobody does.

WoW? Graphics 10/10
Overwatch? Graphics 10/10
Diablo? Graphics 10/10
HoTS? Graphics 10/10

You: “BLIZZARD DOESN’T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT MAKING THEIR GAMES LOOK GOOD, RRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE”.

/squealing pig noises

You spent half an hour writing that? Thought you would come up with something insightful, guess not.

Edit: oh btw Alienware ALX came out in 2009. You sure what you said about your PC is true?

Alienware Area 51 R5

ALX was my last one. And yeah that one was older…

The units are drastically less busy compared to last year.

The terrain was also simplified so that units could pop off the terrain. When the terrain is hyper detailed like last year, you can’t tell what is going on.

And many people I talked to at BlizzCon were complaining about the art.

You never know the point. Yes, if they got feedback it sure was great things to do. If people want its graphics more like WC3 Classic it is Okay, and acceptable to us. but they can do it with improved graphics not lower and terrible graphics like today. When getting feedback there is no need to downgrade graphics. Graphics quality same or higher but satisfy feedback. We never care whether it looks like 2018 demo. It is not our point at all. We only care it looks great in “any possible way”. The only reason people are complaining is not because it is not same with 2018 demo, but because its graphics are terrible and downgraded even one year after. OKAY? Pls say something knowing the point!

1 Like

Hey Purist, stop LYING

Now i will show to you and to the other guys some quotes from 2018! Lets go!

Is about an topic from 2018!

The name of topic is: “Blizzard your art style is perfect dont change”

With more than 931 Likes in 181 Replies with 7.5k Views

Now the Quotes of the topic! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

People WANTED the EPIC AND MODERN REALISTIC LOOK IN 2018!

2 Likes