Blizzard, Your art style is perfect! Don't change it

what about wind and trees, smoke, fire, dust moving in its direction ?

3 Likes

There would be no need to go out anymore :relieved:

1 Like

this is definitely the aim :smiley:

1 Like

Despite the information that Blizzard outsourced the art to that company Lemon Sky, I think they did a great job with the models. It strikes a nice balance of WC3 and what WC2 would look like in HD.

5 Likes

I like the new art style much better than the old! I started warcraft with Warcraft 2 and have played 1-3 plus expansions and as much as I love the old games, I do want fancier graphics now. I like what they are doing with this game, very much. I hope they keep it.

5 Likes

I actually love the art style as well. The buildings and units look great, and the metallic look is amazing and it looks just like the cinematics!

I’m not sure I’m digging the way the Ghoul, the Paladin’s face nor the Footman’s shield look. But otherwise, looks fantastic.

For those who like the old art style, just turn off the new one? You can actually do that.

4 Likes

I see.
Well, “cartoon” doesn’t say enough to be honest, all blizzard games are cartoony, but they all have (or had) different styles. Actually I see more similarities between reforged and overwatch, than with the original game. Even if this is just because of rendering tech.

How come the HotS dev doesn’t put his hands on RF? I really liked the alliance vs horde map (or mod if you will) which was released recently

I second that. I like me a bit of WC2 in 3D + WC3 with tweaks.

I would really enjoy it if they could add periodically new hero skins (like in HotS)

Which person that still plays wc3 in 2018 asked for ‘better graphics’ ? except for the failures of life that are completely stuck with wc3, like grubby, like b2w. Nobody.

This ‘product’ is aimed specifically and strictly at new players. because as many people as possible have to buy your modern art project disguised as a game. Utter and disgusting cashgrab, this product should have been massively ill-received, even worse than diablo mobile. But thanks to again, the losers of the community, grubby & cassandra, b2w, this product is undeservedly encouraged by most people that cannot actually think for themselves.

Edited for Language by the Moderation Team.
https://us.battle.net/en/community/conduct

We all, well, in particular, I for sure loved Warcraft 3 for the atmosphere, overtaking the darkness, all these clouds, sounds of thunder, sparkling lightning, contrast (black places on the characters depicting shadows), mysteriousness, but in the mission of the Stratholme where Arthas kills the inhabitants of the city In the original, it was presented in very dark tones, with heavy rain, and even during the day it seemed that the rays of light did not make their way onto these doomed lands … In the reformed one we see very bright tones no contrast no darkness tee, no rain, everything is so fun and bright, so fun to kill innocent people, right? … By the way, the thunderstorm was delivered to minecraft, and so it seems to me that now even there the thunderstorm is epic, thunder and lightning are more atmospheric than reforged even in cinematic, seriously, compare … I really hope that Blizzard will add normal tones to the game and, most importantly, the weather effect of thunderstorms will be delivered in a decent form, a gloomy, epic rain, goose bumps causing thunder on the skin and sharp, epic sparkling lightning. I really hope so. (because the sounds of thunderstorms in blue-tinted forged, well, very bad, it can not even be called a thunderstorm).

2 Likes

You seem cranky. Make sure you eat three meals a day and take time for yourself. Listen to music you enjoy.

1 Like

The cartoony nature of Warcraft is literally what has kept it alive.

I like the classic style. The new style is also great. The only thing I’d feel would diminish my prise would be if every unit looked epic, like a hero or just not similar to the original model at all.

I’ve only seen images from Blizzcon and those footmen look damn epic, and that’s bad, they look way to special/important. Simpler look on units please.

It’s such a great style. Does anyone know or know someone that has suggested Night elf ground? Undead get dead looking ground however I was thinking it would look cool if blizzard did like a nice root, lively look to the grass for night elf… Wonder if blizzard have considered this

1 Like

While this is true, it’s partly because he’s simply use to the old style, and right or wrong, I’m sure we will all adjust in time to whatever comes of this. I do think it is less readable (but only minimally as far as this is concerned), because I also think it has to do with how the units stand out from the background. Even though the game is 3D, everything is too sharp and it eliminates any depth of field so it all feels drawn on the same plane to me. WCIII had better blending and shadows and somehow things were easier to differentiate regardless of the individual unit art style chosen.

I agree there is a huge lack of atmosphere here (even with tons of sh*t ablaze), though typically that is something that is added later in development. I hope this is something they will focus in on as it will indefinitely help draw players into this world. However, I have to agree that things are way to bright (almost annoyingly so) and I don’t think it serves the style they ultimately went for, which I’m okay with but it it almost contradicts it. Not sure how this was the choice to run w/ even at this stage as everything is likewise too saturated and sharp. It almost hurts my eyes and makes it hard to get any sense of depth or distinction. There is nowhere for your gaze to relax and draw upon contrast to what you really want or need to focus upon. I feel like I would get tired and eye strained after a game or two. If not asking too much, Blizzard should take notes from Dota 2’s theory on graphical presentation/readability (material that is open to the public). it also applies to the same kind of game in many respects (3/4 bird’s eye camera view - RTS) The way they went about things from an esthetics design standpoint beautifully complimented not only the feel of Dota 2 but helped you to visually digest a lot of information very quickly, not only information for game play, but to quickly read the essence of a given unit or hero at a glance. I think Blizzard could learn something from taking into account some of these considerations.

Dota 2 understood the importance of color and unit distinction (i read their design guide) but in my opinion they still messed it up. Not completely, but it isnt as good as it could be. It’s probably teamcolor related as the heroes in Dota just dont have clear colors to them. I also think that the lack of hero glow makes it much harder.

You say those people speak for a vocal minority, yet you claim to speak for the rest of us? Also sometimes a lower minority knows better than a tasteless majority who swallows up anything that has been spoon fed to them.

Low poly does not equate lower quality. The Mona Lisa looks perfectly fine to me but someone like you would probably say its too blurry and it may looked good back in the 1500’s.

What makes the 2002 graphics so special is that they work in a abstract way. The models have been created in a way so that they look good and stylish from an isometric angle. The final touch are the very well crafted unit portraits that give them a personality. It is the combination of those two elements that makes the art somewhat unique. Simply look at that arrogant spoiled brat of a prince that is Arthas. His classic portrait says more about his corrupted character than his HD counterpart who looks like a Rockstar mis-casted in the wrong movie.

It is obvious that Reforged has been created with the WoW folks in mind, plus a certain audience from the far east, who likes everything over proportional big. Bringing your game to a new audience is all fine, but personally I think that it should not deviate too much from its original style. I would have preferred slightly more refined models combined with hd textures, instead going totally heavy metal with everything.

But then again this is still beta right? We have not seen the complete game yet.

Blizzard, the art style you’ve chosen is perfect! We want epic looking, glorious battles in full detail not “Warcraft: Whimsyshire”.

Reforged IS Warcraft Whimsyshire at its finest. And nobody wants your generic “epic looking glorious battles” aka Wowfication. So please speak for yourself and stick with your MMO. Seriously, have you ever played Wc3 before? It was always about quality over quantity. So obviously not your thing.

1 Like