Blizzard, Your art style is perfect! Don't change it

well… I belive he can use as long as there is more than 2 person agree with him? I mean… we doesnt mean “everyone” it means “I , him and her” as example? so he is not doing a mistake when you consider there are people agree with him

I don’t think any want lower quality models, they just want them to be more in tune with the “Warcraft look” found in both WC3 and WoW. A valid complaint is that it’s harder to differentiate the units now when you look at them from above. Grubby himself says that he found it hard to micro because he couldn’t recognize which unit was which.

15 Likes

Totally agree with op. In high definition all the details come more alive. The cartoon revamp would really make it worse. Worst scenario would be to change it to rounded HOTS style.

16 Likes

Agree a lot! If people want the old style they can play it now and they can play it when reforged comes out, new HD models i just love and i am already excited to see each and every single new model in game, just zooming in as close as i can, probably able to even make some dank wallpapers with the right background! :smiley:

11 Likes

^^THIS

I’ve seen everyone try to explain what “Warcraft look” means. I don’t think anyone really gets it (I don’t either) but everyone can recognize it.

The best explication I read on this forum was: Less geometry, more texture, brighter colors.
Like, most characters don’t have eyes, but you don’t really notice since the texture makes it look like they do :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I absolutely love REFORGED art style, and when I got to see one of those screenshots I instantly felt that warcraft 3 was back.
P.S. Jainas breasts are really way too big.

14 Likes

People forget that WC3:R is really important in China. And the chinese got tons of games with very bright colors. It’s important to stand out if you wanna get any fresh blood into wc3 in china.
(And let’s remember that china pretty much saved the wc3 scene from dying during the 2013-15 era)

Yes, I’ve always really wanted a Warcraft game that looked more like its cinematics, I’m really happy with the current art style. Let’s just try it out for once and if people don’t like it then we can go back for Warcraft 4.

24 Likes

The problem is not the colors, but the ‘realistic flavor’ they put in everything.

I have been a warcraft and world of warcraft player since 17 years ago, it influenced me to the point I’m a 3D Environment Artist now, even though I totally disagree with the OP. But I’ll not use argumentum ad verecundiam here (he shouldn’t do as well).

The in-game graphics of warcraft franchise never were ‘realistic’ in this way. It may look fantastic in CG cinematics, but in game it doesn’t look too good, it’s not part of the core style of the franchise. That would be Diablo, not Warcraft.

MAIN POINT: That kind of graphics they are using right now tend to age faster, it’s hard to bet in it when the very purpose of the game is to be remastered to last longer. so it’s always better to do more stylized graphics with ‘handpainted’ textures in this case (even if it’s PBR). World of Warcraft or even the BlizzWorld map of Overwatch give us some good clues of what a modern warcraft would look like.

Diablo 3 was made to look more cartoony when it shouldn’t, since the series was more realistic and darker. So there’s no reason to Warcraft Reforged not be keeping the original style of bright colors and the stylized hand-painted stuff of it visuals, it fits better and it’ll help the lifespan of the project, trust me.

7 Likes

I was pleasantly surprised that they returned to the Warcraft atmospehre. Warcraft looks like a dark fantasy again, not like in WoW. I really really like it.

Cant wait to see other units and maps, and oh god I cant wait for the cutscenes.

That said, I hope the blood and gore of W3 will remain, and to be at least a little bit negative, I feel like some models could be looked on and polish/improve them. The 3 heroes we were shown (Uther, Arthas and Jaina) could use some work imo, the textures are kind of blurry sometimes, Pauldrons look maybe too big? Another post suggest to increase the size of Jainas bosom, and even little things like this make the difference. I am certainly not the only one that remembers Jaina having two absurdly huge blocks as breasts in W3. Hope they will stay true to that.

14 Likes

I agree with what you said. Realistic art style is better. But Spellbreaker Helm REALlY sucks.

5 Likes

I support the OPs point 100%

Blizzard has had a very interesting artstyle in its games that trends the line between cartoony and realistic, and for the most part they do well. I do love the more realistic look and feel of these new models. I hope that Blizzard sticks to them.

18 Likes

I like it! This new realistic style gives me the vibe and feel of warcraft 1 & 2.

17 Likes

Warcraft… a DARK FANTASY?

WTF lol

3 Likes

I agree, it looks amazing. Keep doing what your doing blizz. Can’t wait for this game!!!

12 Likes

The units like the grunts and footmen look great. But the heroes kind of look unfinished. Maybe the missing glow. Or Hair is a bit off… i think they can styalize the heroes a bit more to make them feel more heroic.

8 Likes

I really do enjoy the higher polygon models, but I also see the point that is brought forth about clarity in recognisability, and after some consideration I have to agree that Warcraft’s style is iconic in its comic book flavour. Their argument that they changed it because so many other titles do it is fair, I guess, however they are that way precisely because Warcraft 3 made it so popular. I can only assume they were afraid of being accused of copying their successors on the market, which is a shame but is probably an undeniable truth.

On the other hand, they made that decision to go into a more cartoony style back in Warcraft 2 due to technical limitations, so they made their weakness a strength. Now, the technical limitations are non existant, and they can finally give this franchise the lick of paint they believe it deserves.

And “paint” is probably the keyword that a lot of people are looking for here. Whether it’s cartoony or stylised or what you want to call it, Warcraft has always had an illustrated look to it. They did make a great job re-building the iconic units into this new look, however they went away from illustration and paintings, towards a true plastic replication of these characters. I do not want them to completely abandon their high polygon models, because I always thought it was a bit of a shame how many sweet details were straight irrecognisable due to being mashed into the textures, however I believe applying textures that invoke the painted/illustrated feel more or to apply a filter over the existing textures as to make them appear more like a drawing will be a large step to appeasing the traditionalists while allowing the team to really make use of their new powerful tools.

On that note, I just watched wtii’s reaction video on the panel, and one point he brought up really struck a chord with me. He talked about how there’s not enough of the actual player colour on some of the models, which is especially notable from the zoomed-out isometric view. This is, most likely, due to the fact that they did try to be more faithful to the equipment and materials. In my oppinion, this would also be solved by more illustrated textures, working to use colours that imply materials rather than realistically visualising them.

I would also like to state the obvious and say this: The game has been worked on for a long time, but they did release the Culling mission as well as those panel screenshots and videos with the clear intent of putting together the earliest presentable version to the audience to spark interest. I expect a lot of polishing and work to come even if they stay the course with their current visual direction, which could very well optimise the current look with barely any actual changes.

2 Likes

But actually the white line on the footman shield, Grubby was mentioning is the steel outline of the shield. They just didn’t have the tech back then to make it look like metal.
Also usually armies wear similar armor right? This is how you mainly know someone is in your team and not playing for the other guys. So it makes sense that Footmen, Knights and Pally have similar armor.

1 Like

Sure it makes sense, but does it work from a functional standpoint?

If Knight armor, and Militia armor, and Footman armor are all shown with the same textures and reflections, that makes it harder to distinguish between them at a glance during a large battle in the game.

That’s the biggest thing I don’t like looking at Reforged so far, to me it seems like they took a step backwards as far as functionality of their graphics compared to the original Warcraft III because it’s harder to tell units apart at a glance.

3 Likes

Yeah but the knight is on a horse, militia has a different shield and gambeson , and the hero is 2 times the size of a footman :P, and the footies have ponytails.

4 Likes