Blizzard, Your art style is perfect! Don't change it

Only in the old gameplay footage did it look that way. They clearly changed thing and desaturated the terrain since then. It looks awesome in the demo.

Sorry, I don’t mean to offend, but is it that you just haven’t played Warcraft III in a long time? Because the new game is desaturated, not more colorful and rosy. (and I hate it)

The third one is what I think it should look like. There’s no need to desaturate it…

Although I admit brightness =/= saturation. Maybe tone down the brightness.

1 Like

I still play, I consider this game a world classic as Heroes might and magic 3, but the fact is that the original texture style was cartoony, it was rendered with a special style, with its own special shadows, with special lighting, maybe I’m wrong in terms of something, maybe it’s not about brightness, but in contrast and saturation? If you look at the texture of the earth from the original and from the reforged one, you will notice that in the original it is more … Saturated? The light, the glow of the heroes, their cartoony, it was all drawn with a special style, but Blizzard switched to a realistic style, and now it’s not all that easy, they lost some of the atmosphere by looking at this style, personally for me in the original, everything was at the same time saturated and gloomy, but if the style is changed to realism, then why not make it more gloomy, like in cinematics? Because they are also realistic, and naturally I mean the original cinematics, they are simply filled with gloom, epic and mysteriousness, and it was they who determined the atmosphere of the game, made it darker and more mysterious (I’m not happy with the new cinematics gloomy as its original)

I fully agree, they just need to adjust colors on some (terrain) textures. I cannot speak for the units vs Buildings scale though it is part of war3 and needed to distinguish. Why pay for remaster with same basic graphics n models…

i.imgur. com/04c8rtM.jpg
this is war3 assets in sc2 but imo this is a fine terrain graphics, not the old lime green colors

This is true but tell me, how is SC2 handling 200 supply faster pace and higher models? I know there you don’t care about micro that much but I’ve seen they need to see and quickly estimate numbers too. So more or less the same. I think this is more of 'Fear of new things;. I agree that they need to make things where visibility is a priority.

I know it was also mentioned by Grubby. My respect as he is a legend but he left SC2 early for Heroes of the Storm…

I have to admit, that at first I was not exactly pleased with the new graphics and wished for a more cartoony theme.

But now, I start to realize that the game has to also attract new generations to play with the whole lot of old veterans.

The new graphics are great now that I’ve recovered from the initial shock. But what the game needs, is loads of polish. Textures, models and so on.

I have to point out that the Footman model is excellent, and making his shoulderpads smaller would really hurt the recognizability of the unit. He just needs a little player colour adjustments to stand out more as a footie. Tho Arthas needs to get a manlier face!

Blizzard took a gamble to show us the alpha footage, but I think it will in the end work for everyones favor.

Tag along for a ride in the hype train!

:slight_smile:

12 Likes

I absolutely agree, of course there are flaws but they will definitely fix it. This is Blizzard and it’s time to change in terms of the style of the game, the new style is more realistic - this is a new level for the game with 16 year

6 Likes

Yeah totally, they have to stay true to the original Warcraft Artworks, couldn’t care less about those silly looking heroes of the storm and stuff. I just want my mature Warcraft experience.

6 Likes

Yes, please continue on what you are doing, Blizzard. You knew what you were doing in 2002, you know what you are doing now.

6 Likes

Agree 100% on the artstyle, keep it up. This is coming from someone who has spent thousands and thousands of hours playing wc3 custom games back in 2004-2008. My concern is that the terrain and the tile textures seem a bit sloppy and needs to match with the models.

7 Likes

I love the new look, especially Arthas. He’s bloody beautiful and everything I would expect a prince to be. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I think many of the people saying that are worried that the units in the demo looked too similar to each other. I don’t think there is a problem at all with the art-style but I would like the game to be as easy to “read” as possible. In classic, each unit is easily distinguishable from one another and is easily picked out in a big fight for micro purposes. I’m not really too worried about it since the demo was in very early stages and many things will change before release. Can’t wait for reforged to come out!

7 Likes

The Reforged Art style reminds me of mobile RTS games, utter garbage. You (Blizzard) should take a look at the old cinematics (Warcraft III RoC and TFT) and base your models/graphics off of that instead. Another resource would be looking at the types of custom units made in the Starcraft II Arcade and seeing if you could model off of those assets.

2 Likes

Just look at it, compare the screenshots from the blizzard and from the project Armies of Azeroth, look at the details, look at the color scheme, the lighting, the style, and tell me what looks more like Warcraft 3? It seems to me that it is obvious that it is the project Armies of Azeroth more close to such a special and unique, atmospheric style of Warcraft 3, in compare to what we have from Blizzard.
(Add a dot before the com)
imgurcom/gallery/kjlB3kz

1 Like

Reforged looks old already without even be released. That’s the problem of realistic graphics with an old engine.

1 Like

The terrain needs a major overhaul definitely, but the models are fine. Realistic artstyle suits this game better because frankly I’m tired of seeing the same low-quality MOBA cartoony style that’s been out of favor for the longest time.

If we can get the terrain texture similar to the Armies of Azeroth mod then this game will be stellar.

4 Likes

I totally agree. I LOVE Warcraft 3 too.

And I like the realistic style more than cartoonish. It is the best visual evolution. It’s amazing that creatures and characters look more and more like kinematics.

I like the appearance of HoTs, but the one of Reforged even more. In HoTs the characters look more flat and disproportionate in some cases.
I really do not feel at all that with Reforged they are getting away from the essence of Warcraft. In fact they do it better and better by making the game more and more similar to the movies.

The work they have done is outstanding, it has failures but is because it needs to be polished. And it is normal given that they are at an pre alpha stage. Metallness looks great. They just need to improve the detail, sharpness, along with the brightness and colors. And keep working with the designs. Improving the modeling of characters, giving them more definition, clarity, sharpness, detail, etc …

Designers must continue to improve the effects, movements, response of the commands and actions… I would also like them improve a little bit more the environment in general (structures, buildings, mountains, trees, grass, terrain, fire …) Continue to improve the effects so that there be a greater visual jump with respect to the original game. Change maybe a bit the size of some units, heroes, even the buildings so that everything be better and more harmonious.

I want to take this opportunity to talk about Illidan. I know you have not shown it yet. But since he is my favorite character. I want him to be made with the best possible design.

I would like Illidan’s appearance not to be like Heroes of the Storm. There he looks very old. For his face.
I would also like him not to be so thick, if not a little thinner and at the same time defined. (Muscular and stylized at the same time) Those 2 points would give him more eye-catching.

11 Likes

I don’t understand why people like HotS art style. Every time i think of it i see the awful Alexstraza model…

1 Like

Too many assumptions and ‘we’ and ‘them’ in the OP.
I’ll speak for myself - I’m not only an old warcraft fan, but I also have a degree in arts, and I don’t like current art style. I don’t think it’s terrible, but it’s not quite right.
It’s not less, but actually more cartoony, you can clearly see the influence of disney and marvel producs in it. I’d say the original WC3 art style was not cartoony, but ‘sketchy’.
The reference point to me are old arts by Metzen and Samwise, not the old dx7 graphics. And I have no idea what HotS is.

I have years in game design and the style of models don’t bother me if shoulders are too high, Jainas breasty etc. Why? Because when games like sc2 got used to skins and i still didnt mind them, how are some unit models that look better and realistic going to bother me?

All that matters to me is the colors in art, such as more relalistic colors. They cant include different texture types like in sc2 so they are doing a nice job with the unit models. Only terrain and buildings needs more realism but there needs to be a contrast between units and terrain so all isnt barely visible if too realistik and dark or desaturated. But I like desaturated than t hese Looney Toons colors with bright textures that old war3 has. So complains about visibility having played both RTS for long, nah.

2 Likes

Personally I love the art style in this remaster. Especially the footmen, they look fantastic. I just wish jaina lost those shoulderpads and that breast plate. I liked her better when she had only cloth gear

9 Likes