Why Mercy needs another rework

Hello everyone. I thought I would share with you all the reasons why I think Mercy needs another rework. I’ve broken this down into what’s wrong with each part of her kit. You’ll notice her blaster and GA aren’t on here. They’re fine. They need zero changes.

Her healing.

The problem with this is threefold.

Firstly, like all main healers Mercy cannot use both her primary healing and primary damage at the same time. However, both other main healers have short cast time, decent duration CD abilities that allow them to kind of do more than one thing at a time. Mercy doesn’t. If she’s healing, she’s only healing and nothing else.

Secondly, Mercy is the only healer in the entire game who does not have a consistent way to either significantly increase her healing output or provide a teammate with a burst of sustain. Moira has her Orb and Ult. Ana has her bio nade and ult. Zen has his ult. Brigitte has armor pack and rally. Lucio has amp and ult. Mercy has to rely on Resurrect or face tanking damage so regen starts but neither of those methods are consistent in the slightest.

Thirdly, despite the previous two points, Mercy’s base healing per second is ridiculously low. Like seriously… It’s only 20 higher than Zen’s, Lucio can hit E to (nearly) match it, Moira can kick out triple Mercy’s healing in an AoE, Ana can nearly put out twice as much and has 2 burst heals as well. It’s… bad. It’s real bad.

Her damage boost.

It has the same problem as her healing’s first problem. If she’s boosting, she’s not doing anything else. Beyond that… 30% damage boost is trash and has been pretty much forever. Almost no heroes can hit the DPS needed for it to just be more raw damage than her blaster. There are very few guns in the game where 30% more damage actually lets them hit important breakpoints. Why? Because most damage values where 30% more would help against a 200 hp target can one shot with a headshot or two shot body shot Tracer. The devs don’t want to invalidate her… so damage boost is stuck being terrible on most of the cast. It is useful on some burst damage abilities and is somewhat useful for helping a teammate get their ult faster… but… it’s still not useful enough. Side note, I realize that Ashe is coming out and damage boost is great with just about everything she does. It being good with one or two heroes doesn’t make it a good ability.

Resurrect.

This is her most powerful ability. It’s on E. She’s the only hero in the game where her most powerful ability is not on Q, which is the designated Ultimate Spot. That’s a problem.

The other problem is the cast time and slow. In case you couldn’t tell… Mercy is supposed to be very mobile and very consistent all the time. That’s why she has GA. That’s why she doesn’t need to aim her healing. Using Resurrect brings the rest of her kit, the rest of what she’s supposed to be good at to a screeching halt. That’s a problem.

Valkyrie.

Mercy’s kit is not very mechanically challenging. For some reason they decided that they needed to take Mercy’s easy kit and give her an ultimate that makes it even easier. What? Now that makes a certain amount of sense on a DPS. Soldier’s ult makes it easier to use his kit. Difference here is that even good Soldiers get on average 50% of what they could out of his kit… so tac visor represents a 2x power increase. Not so for Valkyrie.

Valkyrie gives AoE healing. There’s a problem with this too. AoE damage works because oh hey, you get 3 targets in the AoE? Congrats, you got 3x the damage. Even if you get all 5 teammates in Valkyrie’s chain healing… how much are you actually healing? You can’t heal uninjured targets. If only one guy is taking damage, Valkyrie isn’t helping.

Valkyrie is a wild departure from old Mercy’s play style. When Mercy is in Valkyrie mode, one of the most impactful things that I’ve found to use in for is… kinda pretend that she’s a tank. Hang out in enemies’ sight lines, get them to waste their time, bullets, and sometimes ults trying to shoot you down and use Valkyrie’s mobility and regen to not die. That’s… weird to say the least. Most healers want as little enemy attention as possible. That went double for old Mercy. New Mercy though? Not so much.

Lastly… it is a game designer’s job to make the most fun way to play the game also the most effective way to play the game. Valkyrie is an absolute failure in this regard. The most fun way to use Valkyrie is definitely to pull your blaster and throw hot plasma at fool’s heads. However… the most effective way to use Valkyrie is probably either chain heals or chain boost and hold space so you are much less likely to get your “ultimate” interrupted… but that’s boring. Seriously… that’s boring, but arguably the most effective way to use Valkyrie. That’s a problem.

Conclusion:

Honestly Mercy’s first rework has turned into an absolute mess. No amount of numbers changes is going to fix this. The problems are way to widespread and deeply rooted into Mercy’s current kit to just be ironed out. She needs another rework.

11 Likes

I would personally like to see Mercy’s E ability changed into a burst heal she could throw at someone, similarly, to brigittes repair pack. obviously not nearly as much healing as brigittes ability offers, but enough to help an ally being targeted by a doomfist or a brigitte for a few seconds.

I would like her ult to be valkyrie with rez on a 10 second cooldown during her ult, no invulnerability while casting, but instant casting like it used to be. This way, mercy would have to work for her ult, she would have to stay alive for the entirety of her ult to get good value (more than 1 rez which she can already do every 30 seconds now, she doesnt get her ult every 30 seconds so it shouldnt be op and the time to get the ult would be based on the skill and work of the player like with every other impactful ult).

I want 60 hp/s back outside her ult as well because currently she can hardly keep people limping, much less alive.

I dont have any issues with the dmg boost though.

Mercy’s gameplay has definitely been watered down with the rework. Valkyrie and E rez don’t feel impactful, and they don’t offer much room for skill expression.

Multirez had its problems, but they were easily fixable ones.

Problem 1: It didn’t feel fair to play against.

This is actually a twofold issue. The first part is purely mechanical: rez didn’t have a LoS check, it didn’t require a cast time, and Mercy became invulnerable after using it. This denied nearly all forms of proactive counterplay, and the only counterplay left demanded that you use one of your own ults to cancel Mercy’s out.

Solution:

• Add a LoS restriction so Mercy can’t hide behind a wall when using rez.
  • Add a cast time so you have the chance to stun Mercy to cancel her rez
  • Remove Mercy’s invulnerabilty so she can’t go for ballsy rezzes without trading her own life, meaning her team only has ONE final chance to win the fight (with no main healer!) after their revival.

You’ll notice I haven’t gotten to the second part of why Multirez felt unfair to play against. This is because it ties into the second big problem with Mercy 1.0:

Problem 2: Mercy had no E ability

Without an ability to get Mercy more involved in the fight, Mercy was railroaded into over-relying on rez to pick up the slack. It indirectly encouraged passive play, since Mercy had no abilities that encouraged her to jump in and get her hands dirty.

Another side effect of not having anything to throw into a teamfight was that Mercy doesn’t really interact with enemies at all in her base kit (Battle Mercy notwithstanding). Being designed as a pacifist is one thing, but there are plenty of debuffs or other ways to affect the enemy without directly dealing damage.

“If it’s not shooting at me, it’s not a threat.”

This is a standard mindset in most FPS games. This is what makes it easy for players to tune Mercy out, and classify her as a scenery prop instead of an actual playable character.

When Mercy used multirez, players with this mindset didn’t really see it as an enemy using their ult. They saw it as a background prop coming to life and invoking a dues ex machina, which understandably feels like a crock of bs to play against.

If Mercy had an E abiltily that interacted with the enemy and reminded enemies “Hey! I’m still here, and I’m not a piece of the furniture!”, they would be more likely to consider multirez as an ult and not an unfair dues ex machina.

6 Likes

Ok guys, drinking game. Every time you see a thread about Mercy take a shot.

1 Like

Lol, that can’t be healthy.

3 Likes

Well, I think is obvious devs have Mercy balance at the top of their minds. But currently aren’t focused on putting the necessary resources to truly fix her.

I would argue that being really positive, focusing on general outcomes, and supplying devs with a wide variety of implementation methods to meet those general outcomes would be wise.

Now is probably not the season for significant Mercy changes. But I’d be ready for when that season comes.

1 Like

30% is balanced. 40% is at the edge of OP and 50% is ridiculous OP. We had that once and trust me you dont want any non ultimate dmg increase abilitys above 30%

2 Likes

In the context of “this is literally the only thing I am doing right now” it is trash. Zen can heal for 30 hps, 30% boost, and shoot all at the same time.

2 Likes

Well, I did have a simple solution for that.

🕊[Mercy] TwoHanded Blaster & Staff

Oh there’s been lots of different solutions posted. Pretty much all of them, including that one, could be defined as a rework.

That does look pretty neat, though it doesn’t fix boost in particular.

I think the rework is fine but Mercy needs a shift in power.

Valkyrie

• Active time reduced to 10 seconds from 15 seconds.
  • Resurrect now becomes “Upgraded”
  • Resurrect will now become an AOE Resurrect when Valkyrie is active and Resurrect is off Cooldown
  • Restrictions on Single Target Resurrect still apply to her AOE Resurrect.
  • Resurrect will radiate from her cast on the single target in a 15M circle around them and anyone caught in the circle will also be Resurrected along with her target.
  • Walls will block players from being Resurrected behind them similar to EMP and Sound Barrier functionality.

There you have it. A fix to Valkyrie that doesn’t involve scrapping Valkyrie.

I view it more as an addition that’s relatively neutral to Mercy’s overall balance.

We had that once, It was OP

The synergies that would be created by buffing a dmg boost (Zens discord or mercy dmg boost) are ridicously OP
Youre underestimating those 30%

And you are putting words in my mouth.

At no point did I say that boost needed a direct numbers buff. I remember Mercy + McCree being super broke during a bit where she had 50% boost.

What boost needs is an additional effect or the ability to temporarily stack it with her healing or SOMETHING that lets Mercy do more than JUST buff damage by 30%.

Giving her that would require a rework. Which is my point.

3 Likes

#DeleteMercyforChristmas

Yeah, the devs will never straight up remove a hero.

This is a well thought out post and a reasonable summary of my own thoughts on the subject of Mercy.

It is a new mechanic added to her kit… one could argue that that is still a rework.