A Mercy Nerf/Buff Suggestion

I meant her ultimate. It’s just a knock off Nanoboost.

So… how exactly is 10 seconds of either 100 HPS or 50% damage boost that can be applied to any of her teammates at any time even remotely the same as 300 burst heal with 8s of 50% DR and 50% damage boost to one guy?

Edit: Also… that GA heal boost applies to her ult too. So she’s going to want to be zipping around, healing whoever needs it while ulting too.

I mean the best use would be to use Valkyrie to pocket an ulting teammate. The GA changes would just encourage people to spam it while ulting to pocket a teammate.

maybe, maybe not.

I still think this would miles better than the Mercy we currently have.

I’d rather lower the healing on the chain beams and increase the healing on the main beam than out right remove them.

May I ask why? Truthfully I find the chain beams to be the worst part of the entire rework.

2 Likes

Because they encourage using Valkyrie to help your whole team rather than pocket someone. By changing the healing output between the main beam and chain beam, it would discourage pocketing while adding target prioritization.

See in my opinion the chain beams don’t encourage anything. They’re just there. They’re a bit of extra value that just kinda happens that I have almost zero control over.

Now if I am being honest, I’d probably be OK with buffing the main beam and nerfing the chains and not outright removing them. That would bring back target prioritization during her ult which she has been sorely lacking ever since the rework happened. I would prefer removing them though. I just happen to not see any value in them at all. Never have.

That’s what a lot of people have been telling me which is why I thought about discussing this. My idea was that the chain beams heal an insignificant amount (like 15), while the main beam heals more.

Or better, there are no chain beams altogether and she targets only one person at a time.

The idea behind the GA change was to encourage target selection and proper gamesense by rewarding you with a slight healing boost when you do, by the way. Also I understand why raising the ult charge is a bad idea, so I suggest instead to reduce it by ~11%.

What if Mercy didn’t increase damage done with her right click but reduced damage taken?

What if Resurrect had a smaller window then the whole of the respawn timer to used on a fallen ally?

What if her staff had effects that amplified the effects of her beams?

• Mercy as a character that is a pacifist, explained with even the voice line “Must violence always be the solution?” I have begun to ask why is Mercy then amplifying the violence her team is able to do. Instead I think it would be better for her the PREVENT violence by making it less effective.

• Since Mercy’s rework this is the only part of Resurrect that has not been changed to bring the power of the ability down. If it takes 10 seconds to respawn that is a major window for her and her team to make the space necessary or for the enemy team to misstep so that she can resurrect the fallen player. If you reduced the that window, without reducing actual respawn time, to say 5 seconds or even lower, it would force the Mercy to decide the priority of the resurrect in a shorter period, and would give a window for the team that got the kill to know that the kill is confirmed.

• When I bring up special amplifications for Mercy’s staff I want to express first that in my mind the balancing aspect of these is that I think their cooldown should be set to its full duration every time the staff effect is used regardless of if it is ready to use or not. Meaning that if it is not off cooldown yet but you use say healing the Healing Amp’s cooldown starts over as though you just used it without applying any bonus, and it remains waiting to start its cooldown until you stop using that beam, this would give Mercy players reason to NOT Heal when I explain what I mean by Amplifications of the beams.

• What I mean by Beam Amplifications is something along the lines of:

– Healing Beam: Heals for 150 HP/s for a very short time (say 1 second), then 100 for a slightly longer time (say 2 seconds) and then returns to its base of 50, with the amount reducing gradually after the first half of the first-time increment.

– Guardian Beam: Reduce damage received by the target by 100% for a very short time (say 1 second), then 65% for a slightly longer time (say 2 seconds), and then returns to its base of 35%, with the amount reducing gradually after the first half of the first-time increment.

–each would have a moderate to long cooldown, I was thinking like Ana’s Grenade or Moira’s orb (8-12 seconds), with the added bit from above that means you can’t use the beam before the cooldown is down or the cooldown restarts.

They help keep the whole team up, rather than just one teammate. If they didn’t exist, what other use than pocketing ult team mates would Valkyrie have? Using it to try to help you team doesn’t help anymore than Nanoboost when the enemy is pushing in.

Aka, knock off Nanoboost.

Maybe this is just me, but I rarely see several of my teammates getting shot at the same time. Instead what usually happens is that one of my teammates does something that attracts most, if not all of the enemy attention.

In that situation, chain beams aren’t useful. My Reinhardt who just charged in needs more than 50 (or 60) HPS and the rest of my team need none. I’d much rather have better single target healing to at least try to save him.

Which you can still do by increasing the healing on the main beam. That would also encourage your own team to rush in and take advantage of the chain beams.

Just so we’re clear, I’m not against the idea of Mercy being able to ult to save one teammate, I’m against making it into Valkyrie’s only use.

I can understand and respect that position. I don’t think making Valkyrie single target will do that though. Back when Mercy still had 60 HPS, she’d be constantly swapping her heals to whoever needed them. I would imagine that single target Valkyrie would be used that same way.

We have kinda gotten to the point of conjecture though.

What about 10 sec Valk
90hp healing for the main target the beam is on
and 60hp for AOE healz.

I just want Mercy to have the ability to heal a bit more when she really needs to and pops valk.Instead of holding M1 and hoping those 60hp/sec will be enough to keep someone alive.

But this is an ult though. It’s best use would just be to pocket an ulting team mate. Imagine if Ana and Nanoboost as an ability. She would be using on different teammates to save them when they need it (essentially like Repair Pack) but when it’s an ult that you have to charge up, you’re going to use it mostly to power up an ulting team mate that just save them.

1. 50% Damage Boost would be REALLY broken for an ability that isn’t an ultimate/has no cooldown/has no resources
  2. That suggestion for GA would be about as balanced as if we had a change that would go something along the lines of “After using their mobility abilities,flankers now deal 20% more damage”.
  3. Why would they want to buff Rez? When they had to nerf it so much already to bring it to a balanced spot?
  4. Mercy threads on these forums tend to say how they don’t like Mercy being a “pocket healer”. So why would they want Valk with no chain beams and increased HPS/damage boost? Mercy would be the definition of “Ultimate Pocket Healer.” Welcome to Sniper Meta 2.0 Featuring Angela Ziegler.

Good thing it’s only that powerful during Valkyrie then, isn’t it?

Every other healer has a button they can push to increase their healing.
Most have said button in their base kit. Why shouldn’t Mercy have one?

It’s more of… Valkyrie claims that it makes all of Mercy’s abilities better. There’s one that it doesn’t do anything for. That being Resurrect.

You are aware that the whole pocket healer started cause Mercy doesn’t have great healing output and to make it worthwhile she pretty much has to concentrate it on one target, right?

With 100 (120 with the GA boost) HPS you best believe I’d use that bad boy to dash between my teammates and quickly heal up anyone who needs it.

Congrats on making Nanoboost absolutely worthless with that change.

And the other “main” healers i.e. Ana and Moira have to waste cooldowns to increase their healing and even then,they need to aim/reload or waste resources in order to use their main healing. Mercy has constant healing and damage boost with a lock on beam. Besides,she is already getting a buff for HPS in Valkyrie. Problem solved.

“Gain the ability to fly. Mercy’s abilities are enhanced.” It doesn’t say “all abilities”. Just “abilities”. Which it does. It gives Mercy more mobility,chain healing and chain damage boost and soon increased healing as well. When it enhances Rez,that’s when it becomes game breaking.

I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again,this just isn’t Mercy’s meta. She’s not supposed to be good for non-mobile,tank heavy comps. She excels with mobile heroes i.e dive comp and the like. And excuse you,50HPS is still pretty good when I play Mercy in the right situations.

At this point you should really just say “I hate Ana and I want Mercy to be the meta forever”. How do you think that 100-120 HP per second on Valk with a 50% damage boost wouldn’t just make Ana irrelevant again? Even then,these changes have the potential to make Mercy WAAAAAAAAY too good for GOATs,effectively replacing Moira in it.

This Valkyrie = just 50% damage boost.
Nano Boost = 50% damage boost, 50% damage resistance, 300 burst heal. does not prevent Ana from taking further actions with her rifle/sleep dart/nade.

How exactly does this Valkyrie make Nano worthless? I mean, the 50% boost probably isn’t even the best use of it.

GA has a cool down. Not a long one, but it has one. But… since she’s using a smaller CD, she gets a smaller HPS increase for a smaller amount of time. Sounds balanced to me.

We don’t know that. When she was getting nerfed, she went from “Valkryie gives 2 instant resurrects” to “Valkyrie doesn’t do squat for resurrect” There is a massive gulf of different ways for Valkyrie to effect resurrect that are between those two in terms of power level. Is one of them balanced? I don’t know, and you don’t either.

Her viability isn’t my problem with her.

Ana has the best non ult single target HPS in the game.
Ana has the only source of heal amp.
Ana has the only source of anti heal.
Ana has the longest CC ability in the game.
Ana has the best burst heal in the game.
Ana has the best combo ult in the game.

She’ll be fine.

Also… this Mercy would still be terrible for GOATs. This iteration of her has zero AoE healing and needs decent GA targets to activate the heal amp, which she won’t have. In GOATs, Moira could still easily eclipse Mercy’s healing numbers without breaking a sweat because all her healing is AoE and GOATs is a very compact comp.