Unpopular opinion: Mercy's viability

Don’t worry, they’ll find some way to make the character more reliant on perfect aim, as they do with every rework :joy:

You probably need to use her healing beam like Ana’s darts afterwards, continuously landing shots on a friendly character to keep the beam engaged to them!

Fair. I can work with it, just means I have to adjust how I’m wording things in order to minimalize misunderstandings. Work. I’m lazy…

I don’t see it. Now, tell me what these parts of her kit deviate largely from the norm. I’d like to know your thoughts on that. Cuz clearly, you believe there is some massive self contradiction going on in her kit. Now, tell me what that contradiction is.

Fair. Adjusting “raw mechanics” in a way will always make people feel things. Mass rez did not interact with the game as a whole in a way that was healthy and conducive. So we write that noise off.

Now we have to adjust Valk, and take into consideration her healing rate. -10hps was what took her from must pick to kind of irrelevant tbh. Worth considering.

Big picture, plz.

Yeah obviously a lot of people played in settings where they could pull some bull**** mass rez play and feel good. Doesn’t change the fact you have ppl around here acting like Mass Rez was uncounterable and OP. That’s some bs.

Mass Rez was a TRASH ult. Period.

It had balance problems all over. Couldn’t make it viable in coordinated settings (ie: how the game is meant to be played) and it was freestyle stupid in a pub setting.

It is. Because your ability to have fun in the game is 100% reliant on the players are you match made with. Your argument, that “ITS A GAME IT SHOULD BE FUN” that nonsense bs arguement… It’d apply if this game had PVE elements, or it was like a solo story driven game like GOW… Yeah, you’d have an argument.

But this is multiplayer PVP. Your ability to have the game experience you desire is dependent on other people, your enemies, providing it. Getting rolled and rolling are equally disappointing to me. I just want solid matches. The thing is, that solid match depends on other individuals falliable and just trying to enjoy themselves. Can’t blame them.

YOU CAN NOT PRIORITIZE YOUR INDIVIDUAL FUN OVER BALANCE.

That’s fact. Balance effects everyone. How you waifu or relate to any given Hero is your own thing. You coming in and forcing people to play around you is not an enjoyable experience for a lot of people.

Mercy is viable af and Mercy remains the ONLY HERO IN THE GAME that can interact with a dead team mate. No one else can.

“I play Apex Legends and Rez and omfgzzz.” Had Macster or whatever talking about how the Lifeline drone was Mercy. Give me a break.

Mercy remains the only hero in the game that can interact with dead team mates. she can bring them back. That’s huge.

This forum just rocks hysteria and refuses to look at the larger picture. Smh…

1 Like

Everyone who wants to have a good game experience and a healthy game and doesn’t balance a hero based on how fun he/she is.

Why would you not want “fun” to be the primary balance directive? What do you play your games for, geometric symmetry?

2 Likes

Yes, you need fun but you can’t say Valk sucks because I don’t have fun with it. They will not change her because of the fun aspect when a lot of people are actually fine with her or just don’t care.
The ones who are not are just the loudest

1 Like

Well, there’s this thread where I talk about how the fact that Valkyrie being a long, kit enhancing ult makes it incredibly difficult to make interesting and why making it’s main draw be what is essentially an aura is bad.

Then there’s this one where I talk about how Mercy can’t do more than just heal at any given moment, is the only healer who hasn’t got a way to give more sustain temporarily, but still has very low HPs numbers. Also I talk about how the downside that Resurrect currently has not fitting her kit and Resurrect being more impactful than Valkyrie (can you name another hero who’s E is more impactful than their Q?). Then finally several other problems I have with Valkyrie.

I had another thread that talked about how both Mass Resurrect and Valkyrie are fatally flawed… but I think it got deleted because someone necro’d it. That’s unfortunate. (Edit: Found it Oh hey, you’re the last poster in that one. Huh.) Anyway, Valkyrie’s fatal flaw is that it is in the “ultimate” slot. The definition of the word means the best of that thing. Naturally people expect things labeled as ultimate to be ultimate and Valkyrie is not the best at anything it attempts to do.

This rework here is my latest rework attempt. I have others if you want to see them.

As for the balance vs fun thing… I doubt either of us will convince the other of our point of view so I’m just going to drop it.

2 Likes

Yes, you do. That is accurate description of many games in competitive. Without someone forcing others to follow their lead, success usually doesn’t happen. Of course, it’s not enjoyable, but enjoyable experience and victory often don’t mix.

And before your “this is player issues”: sorry for not being able to erase this community, and put your ideal one in it’s place.

2 Likes

I hope this isn’t the case - much of the appeal of Mercy is that her lower reliance on aim makes her a relatively more effective character for folks like me not gifted in that respect

I fully agree with you there.

If they make Mercy require perfect aim… I don’t even thing I’m exaggerating when I say that that would kill her.

1 Like

In a PvP game, balance must exist in order for most folks to have fun

If Soldier had 200 thousand HP instead of 200, and 100x the firing power he has now and all other characters remained the same, this would be (severe) absence of balance, and no one would have fun in such a game. Even the player lucky enough to lock in soldier on the selection screen would be bored of the lack of challenge after a few games

Balance is a prerequisite for fun in games like this

For those who do not find the current well-balanced version of Mercy to be fun, there are over 2 dozen other characters to choose from

1 Like

It is a well known rule of public relations that people are in general roughly 10 times more likely to complain about an item they dislike than praise an item that the like

There are plenty of silent Mercy mains happily playing her, not even knowing of (or caring about) the commotion going on here on the forums

1 Like

aaand order has been restored. :stuck_out_tongue:

When balancing for fun, you aren’t balancing to make one particular person have a ton of fun, you are balancing to make everybody have the best time possible. Making Soldier or Tracer wildly out of balance like that would make the game incredibly not fun for 10 people in every match with only 2 (maybe) having fun.

You straight up wouldn’t do anything like that even with fun being the main drive for balance. Using examples like that to say why balancing for fun wouldn’t function just doesn’t work.

Edit: Side note, that’s why my current Mercy rework is the way it is. In theory it will keep people like you who like current Mercy happy while making her better for someone like me who finds her gameplay to be too flat.

I simply prefer heroes, when kit helps you with your tasks, instead of making them harder for you. Healing beam? Good, I can watch out for any threats without interrupting anything. Requiring aim? Sure, let me get full tunnel vision and be killed by that Genji I had no chance to see, as I were too busy keeping teammate healed and couldn’t look around.

THIS, not only that , but I find the most engaging part about her is the fact that you can GA to a teammates and utilize the Sling Shot Method and the Super Jump Method.

Literally I find that the most fun and engaging thing with Mercy. Not only that, but like you said

People are so quick to call her easy, but even Seagull struggled to be an effective Mercy.

2 Likes

She is easy for support players, that pay attention to their own team. If you are DPS main, your focus is on enemies, so you will keep missing injured teammates regularly.

Nothing unexpected, to be honest.

not sure if I did a good thing or a bad thing here, given the emoticon

I was attempting to make a joke about how the two of us frequently disagree, but the comment right above that we actually were agreeing.

That’s sad to read. It’s depressing when someone looses something they enjoy.

What did you like about Torb that he’s lost now?

I am a Support and DPS main as I primarily main Sombra, but also main Mercy.

Out of the support, I find her right in the middle in terms of difficulty level. This would be true if we are talking about the original 3 healers that started the game. But we an additional healer who in my opinion is hard, but not as hard as people make her out to be and then two new healer which in my opinion is severely easier to play and get value out compared to Mercy.

My ranking from hardest to easiest.

• Ana
  • Zenyatta
  • Lucio and Mercy
  • Moria
  • Brigitte
  • Again this is my list, many may question why I have Lucio and Mercy listed as the same difficulty level, but to me… Lucio give off value for just existing thanks to his AoE healing song by default, he can never turn that off unless he switch to speed boost, or is hacked by Sombra.

Yes, I am aware that you have to do other such as micro-manage both songs, but I find that the same as with Mercy, as she has to micro manage both Healing beam and damage boost, especially now more than ever.

Again, this is my opinion.

For me, Mercy is easiest, as I can stay aware of everything around myself without interrupting support. Ana is hardest, for same reasons - no mobility and tunnel vision with scope.

As for rest…I don’t really see hybrid supports as actual supports. If I want to kill enemies, I pick DPS.