šŸ‘‘ Top 500 Coach - AMA

What is this thread?

Thereā€™s a ton of discussion here about which heroes are OP, arguments about private profiles, complaints about leavers and matchmaking, rework suggestions, communication problems, and more. I am here to provide any insight that anyone might want on anything.

Who am I as a player?

My name is Eon, Neon, or Timeless but I typically go by Eon. Iā€™m obviously a DPS player but Iā€™m also not oblivious to the requirements of other roles. I might not personally play Reinhardt but I can certainly tell a good one from a bad one and offer suggestions to improve your gameplay. I currently play Widow, Doomfist, McCree, and Hanzo but I have extensive experience on pretty much every DPS hero in past seasons and on other accounts. Iā€™m unbias in my assessments of the game.

Who am I as a coach?

I have been an Overwatch coach for WaWaā€™s Bootcamp for almost two years now and have coached dozens of students ranging from Bronze to 4.2k. I have literally seen it all. I have never had a student come away from a session confused or feeling bad about their gameplay. Iā€™m honest and donā€™t sugar coat things but thatā€™s whatā€™s needed for improvement.

One of my proudest coaching achievements has been a repeat student of mine and his climb alongside his sessions. He came to me as a mid Master Tracer player who was struggling to improve and was in the ā€œhardstuckā€ mindset. I have worked with him for the past month or two and he has made massive strides forward. Earlier this week I had the pleasure to queue into him in a 4150 average SR game. I have never been so happy to see someone apply what they have learned right in front of my eyes.

What will I answer?

Iā€™m here to clear up anything and everything. No question is too stupid or too niche. No question is unanswerable. This is the original thread that was updated in the General Discussion. I carried the formatting through to this one to make it cleaner and more professional.

More about me and my coaching.

Coaching Review Samples

Screenshots The student game, apologies for the poor quality stream screenshot.
Up-to-date Timeless screenshot.
Neon ranking in early S8.
Eon ranking in mid S2.

Join my coaching Discord:

8 Likes

Whatā€™s your favorite flavor of milkshake?

2 Likes

If someone answers something other than an Oreo shake then theyā€™re dead to me.

Vanilla is best for a more ā€œauthenticā€ milkshake you get in a big glass.

4 Likes

With a decent win rate (55-60%), how much grinding is required to climb a bracket? I see so many higher-tier profiles with only a small number of hours played per season.

1 Like

Is it possible to climb without communication? And what do you do if you feel like your team is actually not that great

Do you add malt to your shakes?

so lemme get this straight:

a top 500 offers to answer questions regarding competitive owā€¦and the thread is filled with off topic questions?

wtf is wrong with you guys? Of course yall cant improve, because yall dont take anything seriously. every topic in the comp forum is just to complain it seems.

op, donā€™t waste your time on these scrubs.

12 Likes

The same people would then go on to make multiple stupid posts and lane excuses.

1 Like

the forums is the last stop shop for silvers-plats to argue with each other as to why they are in their ranks and cant ā€œget outā€ from a dozen reasons that also effect everyone playing this game

4 Likes

If you have a 55-60% winrate it then comes down to your sr gains and losses on average. This depends on how close your MMR is to your SR. If you gain 23sr and lose 23sr then it would take roughly 110 games to climb 500sr. This is assuming you maintain the winrate constantly and have matching gains and losses. You should realistically expect to play closer to 200 over a season if you are dedicated to climbing.

I played around 400 games last season, if that helps.

5 Likes

Yes, it is 100% possible. I seldom call out to my team unless thereā€™s something extremely important or I want to try a strat that is super out of the ordinary. Communication is always nice but only when itā€™s quick, clear, and true.

If you think your team is bad then you have a few options.

1. Look at both team comps and decide what each teamā€™s win condition is. Make an effort to execute yours and inhibit theirs.
  2. Reevaluate your on gameplay and see what youā€™re doing wrong. Often times you think your team is playing poorly because you are doing poorly yourself and have extra time to notice how ā€œbadā€ theyā€™re doing. Notice how your teams donā€™t seem as bad when youā€™re popping off and the enemy team is getting rolled.
  3. Ask them whatā€™s going on if thereā€™s unclear problems with them. If they arenā€™t vocal then you can pay attention to the killfeed to see who is dying to what and then notice where theyā€™re dying. You can solve a lot of problems by being observant.
6 Likes

I have been an OW coach for almost two years now. I have coached everyone from Bronze to fellow Top 500 players. Giving time to ā€œscrubsā€ is what helps them escape scrubdom.

AMA threads are also always going to have off-topic or joke questions to mock the OP for putting themselves up on a pedestal. I donā€™t mind either way.

10 Likes

Thanks. I suspected I just wasnā€™t playing enough and this confirms it. I usually gain 25-29 on a win and lose 17-23 on losses.

1 Like

Of course. Iā€™m here to provide a sound second opinion for people to verify their own assumptions or to give suggestions to those who are open to them. If someone doesnā€™t want to improve then they wonā€™t click this thread, itā€™s as simple as that.

4 Likes

It sounds to me like your MMR is slightly higher than your SR. The climb will be like that for a while until you get closer to your MMR.

Mine is lower than my SR by a bit so I need to maintain a 60%+ winrate to stay where I am. When the climb starts to slow down you need to continue just the same as you were before. Holding a high winrate will be harder the higher you climb. Having a higher winrate at a lower rank is obviously earier than having one at a higher one.

1 Like

Actually, when your rank is above 4200, there is an SR debuff to prevent players from piling up at 5000.

See

and 3000+ Skill Rating Data and Analysis (now including DCs).

See How Competitive Skill Rating Works (Season 12) for more detail on the system.

2 Likes

I admit Iā€™m not perfectly familiar with SR changes once you get over low GM. They are all over the place and seem to vary from account to account and player to player. The debuff clears some of that up. The Diamond+ performance removal makes things more simple but also more complicated as well.

2 Likes

high ranked players should need 5 games a day not to not to decayed (masters and up only)
agree?

Do you like pineapple on pizza?

I totally disagree. Iā€™m a senior in highschool and while I certainly have the ability to play that number of games every day thereā€™s not always motivation to. Sometimes I get busy and canā€™t. If a student who has a ton of free time couldnā€™t make that work then thereā€™s no way anyone with a full time job, family, and other hobbies could make it work.

Decay should be for Master, GM, and Top 500 players only. I agree with you there. The current system is good in my opinion because itā€™s flexible but also not super loose. My only problem is that Diamond players are held to the same time investments as the best of the best, the literal professionals, and the full time streamers. Itā€™s not fair to them.

11 Likes