[OW2] Mercy, simplified SuperJump+Slingshot

Here’s an idea to simplify the whole Mercy SuperJump stuff.

MERCY

Guardian Angel behavior

• Slingshot = Press the Jump button near teammate
  • SuperJump = Tap the Crouch button near teammate (More lenient timing window)
  • Reduce SuperJump Height = Hold crouch or jump after SuperJump
  • SuperJump Rez = Automatically reduce jump height, or rez only cancels when moving away from rez target sideways

This seems unnecessary. If you want to get good at Superjump, just practice.

Same as getting better with anything.

Practice.

6 Likes

Tbh, devs are gonna do some sort of more accessible superjump for almost a certainty.

So it’s better they implement it properly, instead of the current build we saw in the beta, or the one they mentioned in the recent podcast.

To be honest, I like the idea of Res always being cancelled by superjump. Whilst I’m glad they made superjump not act like a bug, as it stands Mercy is going to essentially be not intractable for most players and most skill levels.

Her being very vulnerable during resurrect at least gives her one instance of tension during a game.

you’re going to get various complaints about “omg mercy can res in the stratosphere OP”.

and to do this you go from a distance based limit on res range to a single plane distance only deal (i.e. cylinder shape of res range limits as opposed to current spherical).

that’s stupid because when we slingshot we don’t necessarily reach and pass our GA target when slingshotting. e.g. when doing a curved GA (we hit space early to be in the momentum mode which lets wasd inputs to matter for a curve)

So I guess this thread became relevant again.

…?

(20 char requirement)

Yeah yeah lemme rewrite this.
“Tap” would make more sense than press-release

I don’t get why you did necro your own thread actually :p… that why I “???” it.

Because clearly it’s relevant now. And I could see the current problem with auto-superjump being a problem 3 weeks ago.

There, rewrote the post so it actually makes sense.

Oh sorry, I thought it was some old thread and I was looking for a fix to auto-superjump when using shift, and I landed on this (and didn’t get the necro) :p…

Weird necro bump but ok? Lol

1 Like

I get what youre going for… but this is arguably still more complicated and less straight-forward than mercys original superjump tech… and simplifying it was the entire reason they made this horrible beta change for her.

Well the third bullet point is already a feature in Beta #2.

So it’s literally just:

• Hold Crouch to fly past your GA target
  • Press Jump near teammate to go up high
  • Hold jump to “deploy wings” and go up less

How is that complicated? Especially if the timing windows aren’t as inconsistent as original SJ.

???

Take a look at the forums.
→ Paid beta release.
→ Brig skin fiasco.

They are trying so hard to alienate people there soon won’t be anyone left to play mercy, let alone care about what they did or will do with her jumps.

Because where does prop jump exist in this? Prop jump is where you’ve started a superjump (crouch+ga) but haven’t reached your teammate, and you collide with the environment and hit jump and you’ll get boosted whichever way the environment is slanted.

Plus, holding jump to go lower sounds backwards…

This whole rework takes away all the logic of og ga tech, and so it’s hard to tell what tech would survive with this ruleset…

The best part of og ga tech is how consistent it is because theres a logic to it… “automatic” and so on completely ruins that…

Also, how does superjump rez fit into this rework?

Well, let’s assume they wanna keep prop jumping, which I’m not clear if they do.
They could just swap the inputs.

• Jump to fly past your GA target
  • Press Ctrl near teammate to go up high
  • Hold Ctrl go up less

As for SuperJump Rez, either the “go up less” covers that, or they could just make it automatically go up less during a Rez cast.