CDC #11 - Pint-Sized Palooza

From genius inventors to the hardiest of folk, from tricksters of nature to demonic beings, the small always find a way to thrive in a hard world.

Hello and welcome! This is the Concept Design Contest #11 - Pint-Sized Palooza thread. Here, over the course of this week, you will create a brand new concept based on the following criteria and provide a link to it here. Please leave a comment if you are signing up for the contest below, and use that comment to deliver the link to the thread. The contest will have three judges, who will each take one week to look over the designs, commenting and helping out with the design. All dates are set to allow the maximum time, and the deadlines will be at 11:59 Eastern Standard Time. The thread must be submitted at exactly 11:59, and there will be no exceptions.

Theme: For this contest, contestants can make any role and ability kit they want, but the character must be a Blizzard character that could be considered small, from gnomes to imps to dwarves to cleaner bots to zerglings. As long as the creature in mind is smaller than half the size of a human, it can be considered a safe bet. If you are unsure if your character qualifies, you may ask here or message me through Blizzard network or the HotS Hero Concept Writer discord.

Sign-Ups Open
Saturday, October 5
Come one, come all! Every sign-up today preferably, but if you missed the day, go ahead and leave a comment over week 1 and you will be accepted into the contest still. The judges will be Mr. CLFN, Kyyteo, and me, Bliztron. Judges are not able to make concepts themselves.

Week One
Sunday, October 6 - Saturday, October 12
This week is for the base concept. This is simply the abilities and the role. Remember, the role is very important, and part of the judging will be on how well the abilities fit together under a specified role. This is the only week for sign-up, so make sure you give us something before the week is up! Kyyteo will be the judge that will comment on the Sunday that follows.

Week Two
Monday, October 14 - Saturday, October 19
This week is for the talents. This means a fully fleshed out talent tree set up with the tiers in order. Make sure your talents are interesting and creative, but still fit with the character and design as a whole. You should touch up on your abilities based on week 1 feedback, as that will also be considered in week 2 judging. Mr. CLFN will comment on the Sunday that follows.

Week Three
Monday, October 21 - Saturday, October 26
This week is for the finishing touches. This includes fluff, stats, additional notes, skins, and whatever else you want to add. This has an element of freedom to it, but to give yourself the best shot, you should probably make your concept sell itself. Make the judges become immersed in your concept. I, Bliztron, will be the judge that will comment on the Sunday that follows.

Week Four
Monday, October 28 - Saturday, November 2
This week is the last week for changes to the concept. All major work should be finished by this week, and major changes are risky. Each of the judges will keep a close eye on the concepts, coming to their own opinions. The judges will have all commented feedback and ratings as they saw fit over the last three weeks, so you will have some idea as to what each of us are looking for. At this point, just make sure to touch up your design and make it truly sparkle.

Finale
Sunday, November 3 - Tuesday, November 5
All changes are closed. The judges will gather to determine who is the ultimate winner of the contest, announcing the winner sometime on Monday.

The following information will be about the judging structure and how points will be fully evaluated. On each Sunday, a comment will be posted with the following rubric filled out, and then another post will be created explaining a detailed analysis on the concept, giving thorough feedback. These points add on to your total, and at the end, each person will have a score out of 60. Make sure you gather as many points as you can during the first three weeks, but do not be afraid if you fall slightly behind, as some promising changes could really make the difference in the final week.

Individual Judges
-/5 Creativity
-/5 Cohesiveness
-/5 Thematic
-/5 Interaction

-/20 Total

Final Week
-/10 Creativity
-/10 Cohesiveness
-/10 Thematic
-/10 Interaction

-/40 Final Verdict
(+2 Thoughtfulness, +2 Game Fluidity) [+4 bonus total]

The final score and the winner will be taken from whoever has earned the best score. If any tie should occur, then the judges will all agree on a single winner. There will be a single winner, and one runner up.

Creativity: This is how creative the design of the character is, and how creative the actual choice was. While a big name will certainly win you some points for awe factor, a particularly clever choice and design may edge out the victory.

Cohesiveness: This is representative of how well the design fits together, and how well it works with the role and gameplay style you are trying to accomplish. This score will mainly be in relation to a gameplay identity we feel you are trying to give off.

Thematic: These points are mainly for how well the ideas fit with the character. A demon that is a butcher of man would not really be a gentle healer than encourages his allies to do better. Make sure that when creating your character, you will also look towards what they would actually be doing.

Interaction: Interaction is the interaction your character has with allies, and enemies. How the character feels to play with and against is a crucial part of the character’s design, one so crucial it deserves a place in the rubric. Killing your entire team to power yourself may be fun for you, but it would not be fun for your allies, and the character design as a whole would suffer for it. Consider your character in the game, fighting against him and alongside him.

CDC Compilation

4 Likes

Zerglings are only smaller then a terrna in Marine armour. And actually are relatively close in size to humans who aren’tin mini mech suits…
Me being pedantic aside, let’s get to work

and here we go let’s get going with my troll as I present the mini version of the World Breaker himself!

1 Like

I’m in, let’s do this thing.

If said character is small but often uses large “vehicle/s” would it still count?

TY for the info in advance

I assume the hero as to be small in their playable state. So like Mekkatorque would be allowed, but Mekkatorque who always wears his man-sized battle suit would not be.

1 Like

Ok, that could be, but I will wait for the official decision :joy:

Yes, you can use smaller characters piloting a bigger suit.

1 Like

Hi there!
Yes, small characters piloting large things are acceptable!

2 Likes

Seems like it might be fun. I’ll give it a shot.

Ered’achor! Havik! Galar!
Well. This was certainly an interesting CDC theme. Took some effort to think of an idea for it.

May I present Rin, the First Disciple of Azari:

This should be awesome, can’t wait to see all the great designs (looks at the Rin design while typing). Well here is my Concept.

I made it before i knew about the contest so it’s a bit more fleshed out than is necessary at this point but i’ll take all the suggestions I can get. Cheers all, and have fun. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey phlynch, glad to see you’re making a concept. I’ve always enjoyed your designs, they’re fun and cohesive. GL and have fun with it. :slight_smile:

Thanks for reminding me to actually post my concept. I had it written out on a text document since sunday.

OK, here we go. First time I’ve done a hero concept in a long time. Lets see how it goes.

Can we have more than one entry, cause I have another idea i’d like to try. :blush:

Haha, I like the excitement, but unfortunately you can only submit a single concept for consideration. If you have an idea you’d rather submit, you can switch to another concept.

Here is my concept:

So far just the basics, but if anyone wants to check it out and provide some opinions I will be glad.

Heres the zelda to my CDC entry
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/heroes/t/cdc-toki-time-tinkerer-a-time-based-healer/27417
A good bronze is never late. They post precisely when they mean to.

Commenting just to appreciate this.

1 Like

Here’s my submission, I’m not too happy with it but it’s good enough for a first draft.