(CDC #11) The Cutest Cataclysm: Lil'Deathwing

Hey Fella’s Melke returning with a new concept. this time I am working on the battle pet Lil’Deathwing
This is for the 11th CDC you can find here. the theme of which is Tiny things. and I don’t think it gets tinier then a Whelp. even if it’s a Whelp Immitating the mighty World Breaker.

Introduction

Insert Kevin Voice
This insanely cute whelp specializes in quick powerful strikes. Making the enemy start the fight with a burst of potent AOE and to finish off fleeing enemies with improved movement speed. However, as a Melee with low health, he will require aid from teammates to not be quickly and easily focused

Base Attributes

Role: Melee Assassin
Health: 1400
Mana: 500
Speed: 20% faster then normal (Melke Note: this is meant to be still slightly slower then Lunara but faster then the base hero movement speed
Attack Range: 3.5 (just a smidge shorter then Valla)
Rate of Fire: 1.2 per second
Damage: 30(+20 for melee range)
Mount: Standard mount. Deathwing can only use Magical Mounts and will perch on top of it, the standard mount is a flight animation where he glides.

Base Abilities

D: Soar

Cooldown 55 seconds

Deathwing flies into the air becoming untargetable and gains 40% movespeed for 4 seconds. He cannot auto attack while this is active and using any ability will cancel the ability upon completion

While Soar is active Tail Swipes range is increased by 10% and the range restriction on the bonus damage has it’s minimum increased by 50% Note this does not effect any talents that are triggered by range they will still require the 50% closeness to trigger.

Using Roll in this state will make Roll 75% faster (this just applies to how fast he moves while rolling) and add a minor knockback to the end effect.

Shadowflames duration is increased by 1 second and instead of being just a single patch will follow a line between Lil’deathwing and the target location. this also adds a .75 second cast time.

Q Tail Swipe

Cooldown: 8 seconds

Cost: 40 mana
Cast Range: Shadow Charge Range

Lil Deathwing dashes towards the target and lashes his tale dealing between 100 and 200 spell damage (Calculated based on the range between Lil Deathwing and target when the ability is cast the closer the more damage) and dealing 25% to 75% of the damage in an arc (also the closer the better)

This ability can be cast on an allied hero, the cooldown will be 4 seconds shorter and Lil Deathwing will gain 15% movement speed for 3 seconds

W ShadowFlame

Cooldown 8 Seconds
Mana:45
Range: Standard Mage spell range
Effect radius: a tiny bit smaller then Kael’thas Verdant Sphere Firestrike

Lil Deathwing Breaths a blast of shadowflame at the target location, enemies hit by the blast receive 55 damage per second (damage ticks once per second) and are slowed by 5% while inside the effect radius. the debuff both for damage and slow will persist one second after leaving the effected area.

E Roll

Cooldown 10 seconds
Mana: 50
Distance: 1.5 Valla Vault’s

Deathwing is engulfed in fire and does a barrel roll in the targeted direction, enemies hit by this Roll are ignited taking 125 damage over 4 seconds (ticks once per second)
at the end of the ability Deathwing will blast a wave of fire forward in a small arc dealing 155 damage over 2 seconds to enemies in front

Heroic Abilities

R1 Elementium Bolt

Cooldown 45 seconds
Mana Cost: 85 Mana

Deathwing launches a powerful bolt of Elementium into the air, The ability will take 3 seconds to reach the ideal velocity

Once it’s ready The bolt will come down 0.8 seconds after Lil’Deathwing casts Shadowflame. Targeting the location of the Shadowflame (Melke Note, This means the exact spot the player targeted even if it’s augmented by Soar)

Enemies hit will take 50 bonus damage and have their armour reduced by 60% decaying over 1 second

R2 Cataclysmic Roll

Cooldown: 85 seconds
Mana: 80

Deathwing charges up for 1 seconds Once activated the next Cast of Roll within 10 seconds will also activate the following effect

Flames arc along the roll arcing out in a triangle. When he reaches the end of the roll the triangle explodes outward dealing a max of 450 damage and a minimum of 75 based on the distance from Deathwing

The flames created will persist for 4 seconds, dealing 1 damage every 1/4 a second. Every 20 ticks of damage will heal Deathwing 5% of his health and give him 5% spellpower that will persist for 2 seconds after the duration of the flames. Note the spell power will cap a 60%

Talents

Level 1

Force of the Earth

Deathwing’s basic attack damage is increased by 30% however he no longer has access to Ranged Basic attacks.

Shadow of Death

ShadowFlame deals an extra 55% damage to minions mercenaries and monsters

Elemental Augmentation

If Roll hits at least 3 heroes Deathwing goes beserk for 2 seconds, reducing his armour by by 15% but increasing his outgoing damage by 15%

If I must

If Deathwing uses Tail Swipe on an ally he generates a small knockback upon reaching his ally slowing all enemies by 40% for .5 seconds

Level 4

Cauterized By Shadow

When an enemy hero takes damage from Shadowflame, reduce incoming healing by 50% for 2 seconds or until the ability absorbs healing equal to 15% of Shadowflames damage

Unrelenting Elements

If Deathwing hits at least 2 enemies with the secondary attack of Roll increase the duration of damage over time on all enemies effected by the first hit by 2 seconds at 50% normal Damge over time
Melke Note: These 2 seconds have damage equal to 1 extra second at full power)

Illusive and Powerful

Deathwing Evades every fourth basic attack shot at him
Also gains Unstoppable while Roll is active

Iron Tail

Tail Swipe’s maximum damage is increased by 25% but the minimum damage is reduced by 15%

Level 7

Sundering Swipe

If Deathwing would get at least 60% of the range bonus from Tail Swipe the primary target has it’s armoured reduced by 15% for 1.5 seconds
If Deathwing would get at least 75% of the range bonus from Tail Swipe the effect is also applied to the secondary targets
If he gets 100% of the bonus the armour reduction is applied BEFORE the damage from Tail Swipe

Rage of the Whelp

Cooldown 30 Seconds
Basic attack does a bonus 150% damage as spell damage. The cooldown is reduced by 0.8 seconds for every tick of damage done with basic abilities.

From Shadow Rises Fire

If Deathwing stands inside ShadowFlame when casting his other two abilities the one he picks will be augmented

Tail Swipe will now also slow the primary target by between 15% to 50% (calculated by Tail Swipes range augment)

Roll’s intiial launch will have the radius that the flames reach increased and enemies in melee range of Deathwing’s second attack are slowed by 80% decaying over .8 seconds

If Deathwing passes through without using an ability he is engulfed in shadow flame which will add a damage over time effect to his next 3 basic attacks that deal damage equal to 100% of the auto attack’s damage over 2 seconds

Level 13

True Fire

When an enemy hero has the Fire Damage over time effect from Roll applied to them while they are under the effects of ShadowFlame or Vice Versa that target will take damage equal to 7% of their maximum health instantly.
This ability can only be applied to the same hero once every 8 seconds

You Can Hide but you can’t run

Increase the slow effect from Shadowflame up to 15% increase up to 50% as long as the effect remains on the target.

Cauterizing Wounds

Deathwing heals for 50% of all damage done by Roll’s initial Damage over time and all Shadow Flame damage

Level 16

=Unrelenting Destruction

Active: Cooldown 45 seconds
For 3 seconds Deathwings basic abilities recharge at 150% rate

Death from Above

Soar gains a second Charge
Soar also gains a new effect, when using Tail Swipe on an ally from within soar, stun enemies around them for 1.2 seconds and reduce their armour by 15% decaying over the dame duration

A Hellish Whelp

passive
When Deathwing takes 20% of his health in damage from a single source he spawns a Living Blood beneath him. this summon has 100 health and does 50 damage per second in melee (moving as fast as a standard minion) with 100% lifesteal. If it is killed in a single hit it explodes in a tiny radius dealing 4% of affected heroes health over 4 seconds (this does not have lifesteal)

Level 20

The End Times

Reduce the number of damage Ticks required to trigger the Heal and Spellpower boost from 20 to 12 and increase the cap on Spellpower from 60% to 100%

Elementium Devastation

Elementium Bolt gains a second charge. If two are active at the same time the second will come down .5 seconds after the first bolt. If someone is hit by both they are stunned and their armour is reduced by a total of 80% for 1 second

This talent also removes the decay on the armour, it will remain 60% for all 1.2 seconds

Blacken the Skies

Reduce the cooldown on Soar by 50%. Deathwing can now auto attack while Soar is active note he cannot trigger his melee range bonus unless Force of the Earth was taken at level 1)

Passive. Deathwing gains 10% move speed

Perish in Flames

Active: 100-second cooldown
Deathwing Breathes his most powerful flame and blasts it in an outward arc around him, igniting structures for large damage and heroes are ignited for 20% of their health over 8 seconds

Skins

Deathwing Will have 5 basic shaders, one for each of the other dragonflights in WOW, plus one for Twilight

CyberSpace: Deathwing will have several variants on a CyberSpace skin. this skin will feature pixelated style fire for his fire effects and matrix green colour for his ShadowFlame abilities. the wings will look to be incomplete digital sprites

Warchrome: Deathwing will look more like a poorly assembled flying drone

Voicelines

I'm not cute I'm Deadly! Burn Insect.... what do you mean that's not my catch phrase? Death from above! Cataclysm was the greatest expansion!

Melke note: the last voice line is meant to be a joke about Lil’Deathwings position. he was the in game pet from the Cataclysm COllectors edition so he’s obligated to say that.

I think you may want to post a second link to the CDC thread since you ninja-posted the first one :rofl:

What do you mean ninja post?

You edited it into you original post so it may be missed by ppl who have already progresed deeper into the thread.

I thought that was what we were supposed to do to prevent that thread from getting clogged and the like.

Well, technically yes buut nobody does that :sweat_smile:

Sorry! This managed to slip past my radar! Here’s the review, (sorry it’s late)

Week 1 Judgement

Catagory Rating
Creativity 5/5
Cohesiveness 4/5
Thematic 5/5
Interaction 4/5
Overall 18/20

Creativity
5/5

When I signed up to do judging for this contest, I never thought a battle pet would make its way in, but I’m really happy that it did. And the main villain from my favorite expansion nonetheless!

Cohesiveness
4/5

An assassin to be sure! But I feel like he is more of a hybrid between melee and ranged, with his tail swipe rewarding him for being farther away

Thematic
5/5

Full points here. This feels like someone took the very esence of that battlepet and made it a full fledged hero.

Interaction
4/5

The only thing that worries me about this current setup is being able to do free damage for 4 seconds with 0 repercussions. That’s like once a teamfight. A longer cooldown would really help mitigate that, and encourage players to use it more strategically.

His ults are both interesting however Cataclysmic Roll looks like it would be the more fun out of the two.

I don’t mean to be snarky but I just want to ask this genuinely, which ability are you talking about with this one? ShadowFlame or Cataclysmic Roll

Soar would be the ability in question. Kyyteo seems to not notice the bit where Tail Swipe and Roll cancel it, though Shadowflames and basic attacks are riskless damage.

Frick, I forgot to mention that he can’t auto attack while Soar is active.

Creativity: 5/5
It’s an unusual choice to bring a battle pet into the game, but I like it.

Thematic: 4/5
Admittedly, I don’t use battle pets much so I don’t know what Lil’ Deathwing’s abilities are, but I can’t help but think this just feels like miniaturized Deathwing. It may be a big ask, but I’d like it if he felt like a tiny little pet.

Cohesiveness: 2/5
There are some talents that feel like they are in want of a base ability to mesh with. Elemental Augmentation, for example, doesn’t have anything to trigger off of until you take the proper talents. Similarly with Small with a Lot of Power. It combos with itself, but to get the full effect you need enemies that can lower your armor. It just feels a bit too niche without some way to trigger it yourself. Another combination of effects that worries me is Tail Swipe with Force of the Earth. Without a ranged attack, you lose the ability to Tail Swipe your primary target without running away first. If that’s intended, that’s fine, just something to look out for. And, while not a serious issue, From Shadows Rise Fire sharing a similar function to your trait feels just a tad redundant.

Interaction: 4/5
There are no serious issues with his interactions here. He has decent potential for damage and decent mobility. However, depending on how you have Untargetable interact, Soar could be incredibly powerful for a trait. Can he be hit at all, or is it a mini Ice Block?

Overall: 15/20
I like the general idea, but I think the execution could use some refinement. And the tooltips could use some cleaning up. For instance, you could just say in general that Soar is cancelled on the next use of an ability. And what does “Range Restriction is removed on max damage” mean exactly? Does he just always deal max damage with Tail Swipe while in Soar?

Force of Earth only applies to Auta Attcks… I accidentally called it basic attaacks didn’t I?

Ah wel, thanks for the feedback I’ll go through it with a fine tooth com later today both your feedback and my work based on said feedback, thanks CLFN

It’s more that Tail Swipe doesn’t work in melee, and Force of Earth forces you into melee. It just seems like it would make Tail Swipe more difficult to fit into your ability rotation. If that was your intention and you have a different vision for it than I do that’s fine, it’s just a little potential irritant I noticed.

It was meant for versatility, Tail Swipe has the engage potential but notice how it already does bonus damage if you cast it from melee range on baseline
Force of Earth and the Iron Tail Talent were meant to go together to encourage a high damage but more risky combo which I intended to put next to more utility and safer talents that augmented Roll and Shadowflame

Honestly I never wanted Tail Swipe to be an engage or at least a dedicated one. I wanted it to create this dynamic o “Do I need this for escape or can I get the nice damage) Roll was meant to be the primary engage along with his above normal move speed

Edit: I think you misread Tail Swipe.

This is what I was meant when I said you can’t cast Tail Swipe in melee

1 Like

… what?

this is what i get for not proofing cus i wait or the last second

That was something that was supposed to be gone ater week 1 judging, frick

Overall Score

Creativity - 5/5

Cohesiveness - 3/5

Thematic - 5/5

Interaction - 3/5

Total - 16/20

Creativity - 5/5

Overall, there is nothing to complain about in the character. While some of the talents and abilities are on the lesser side of creativity, there is enough uniqueness here to justify a full creativity score. I really like how the simple abilities still are unique in the game, and that they all come together to make an interesting gameplay loop. As for cosmetics, I really like the skin suggested. Overall, good job.

Cohesiveness - 3/5

The character does fall a little flat in Cohesiveness at some areas. To start, the extra damage at melee range doesn’t really work in a Moba due to not being able to effectively move into melee when you have a ranged attack. The best way to enable this would be to allow you to toggle off your ranged attacks, but since it isn’t core to the character anyways, I would recommend cutting off the bonus damage or the extra range (preferably the range). Secondly, I really do not like how both of his heroics require his basic abilities to be cast. It deflates them of their own merit and would feel clunky to use. I think both of them have cool effects, but that they should just be their own abilities, and not just upgrade two of his basic abilities. That isn’t what this character is about. Lastly, several of his talents feel thrown together without any rhyme or reason. While certain build paths emerge, there is such a disparity in what each tier gives the player that it leads to very sporadic balancing, which could kill the talent tree. Depending on his stats, his role and playstyle will drastically change without the consistency of themed tiers, and make it a nightmare to keep each talent useful.

Thematic - 5/5

The character is… interesting. It definitely feels like Lil’ Deathwing, battle pet moves and all. I have no real concern here.

Interaction - 3/5

The character’s balancing is all over the place, so much so that it shows inexperience and almost brevity. To start, the low cooldown on a 4 second instant untargetability that then upgrades your abilities offsets his weakness of needing to go in at smart times, and makes him actually impossible to catch if he has it up in lane. I would recommend upping the cooldown to 60 and adding a delay before he takes off that can extended or terminated by enemies somehow. Secondly, the first heroic is far too polarizing with its 60 armor shred. If that happens with any mage ability, enemies will cease to exist, but most of the time it will be wasted. I think a longer, much lower armor shred is the way to go for your allies and enemies’ sakes. Also, the second heroic doesn’t make much sense with its spell power cap. If you are hitting 5 enemy Heroes for the entire duration, you max at 20%. The talent tree also has several disparities here and there with some being pretty problematic. Elemental Augmentation is unrealistic to achieve and way too weak in its duration and effects, for example. I would take a complete look at the entire talent tree as you rework it, trimming the extremes out and smoothing it to a much better place.

Melke - 79/100

Creativity: 9/10
Cohesiveness: 5/10
Thematic: 10/10
Interaction: 5/10

(+0 Thoughtfulness, +1 Game Fluidity)