Comment in Favor of Instancing loot and Removing Stamina Bar

I agree that stamina does have a place. Is it annoying when starting off? Yes. However, it is a trade-off mechanic for wearing heavier armor that offers more protection. Also has that feeling of getting more powerful to outclass your starting low durability. You start the game huffing and puffing your way through the game, but some agility through Nightmare and feel tougher, only to be knocked back down in Hell.

1 Like

The atmosphere that you’re expected to take down the biggest cheese in Hell yet you can’t walk 50 feet?

You start off like you’ve been eating nachos on a couch for 10 years.

Yeah great atmosphere…
There such a extremely small impact of monsters that affect stamina.

I’ve played Diablo from the start, stamina in d2 was always pointless.
Same with the other potions…

2 Likes

I like the guy but he hasn’t made a good game since Diablo 2… Maybe it’s a good idea to not listen to what he has to say about game design. Also I’d like to remind you that Brevik wanted Diablo to be a turn-based strategy game. His team ran a vote and decided it should be real-time action while Brevik was among the few who voted against this!

Regarding stamina, potion belt and other ‘annoying’ mechanics in D2 - I think they are some of the most important things in the game. They allow the power creep to start at a negative.

As an example, D3 doesn’t have such hindrances and the game feels the same at level 1 as it does at level 70 and at Paragon 5000. The only thing that changes is your damage goes from 1 to 1 million to 1 pepegaquintillion.

7 Likes

Power creep? It takes 15 minutes to get to level 10+

It pointless

Beside a for a joke I don’t think I’ve ever needed to use a throwing potion

Running at the start if you go solo doesn’t make it a better game when you have to stop and sit there while your stamina comes back

100% my thought as well. Stamina bar is SO ANNOYING for the first like 10 levels then disappears after 20 or so.

“At least as great” Not in terms of impact. He has made a few other very good games and one, Hellgate:London, that was very good but just ran out of money since Blizzard wasn’t there to provide the resources (1st game after D2).

======

As for the instanced loot debate (didn’t see anyone I directly wanted to reply to) I am very indifferent towards whether we do or do not have it as long as there is no talk about bringing in BoA along with the personal loot system.

I neither liked nor disliked the loot system in D3 when it came to it mechanically but once they did the BoA and BoG stuff it became MUCH worse as I couldn’t collect stuff to give to other people.

OK, this is what I came up with a little bit of searching (see all the quoted posts below). Do you want me to find more? There are at least 30 unique posters who favor personal loot that have taken the time to post that. In another thread where the first post advocated for personal loot as an option, it has 58 likes at last check.
Again, having the option to have either personal loot or global loot is a win-win for all. People who like the original D2 model can play their way. The people who see the merits of personal loot such as David Brevik and mysel and the myriad of others quoted below can play their preferred way.

10 Likes

Many of the quotes shown in my post 2 above are from the D2R forum. Each quote supports personal loot or the option for personal loot in addition to global loot.

I have not counted how many want global loot nor have I counted how many prefer personal loot. Simply put, there are MANY diehard D2 fans in both camps.

The solution is to have personal loot and global loot selectable to match personal preference.

5 Likes

Hell, sometimes you don’t even see what the boss drops it goes so fast, and I doubt the bots pick it is set to auto pick everything. I’ve seen more unique people either in favor of or don’t care than absolutely against. Usually the same few absolutely against in multiple topics.

3 Likes

He honestly wants to ruin the game because he is jealous or something. Why would you remove stamina? It’s actually a part of the game mechanic and removing it would make things feel different in a way. And if the argument is that it doesn’t do anything, why change it? It won’t matter anyway lol just would feel less true to original.

Instanced loot will literally kill the game, and I will ask for a refund immediately if this is the case. I have lost all respect for David brevik because of what he just said. He is either trying to sabotage the game for his own benefit or straight up has dementia. DO NOT LISTEN TO DAVID BREVIK

5 Likes

If you want personal loot just play on a private game. Problem solved.

2 Likes

If upon character creation, you could select that character to be restricted to EITHER global loot OR instanced personal loot, why would you request a refund?

You can still play with like minded people who prefer global loot while other can play their way with players who prefer personal loot?

Personally, I do not boycott my favorite hamburger joint if they start also selling chicken sandwiches. It is about choice. You choose what you prefer and let other choose what they prefer.

That solves nothing. It is an invalid argument. It would like me saying D2 has global option. You should play that and not D2R.

D2R is both a single and multiplayer game that supports public games. D2R can be compelling for people who want global loot and personal loot. Win-Win.

7 Likes

Kill the game for those that want to keep the market rigged against the average player for the purpose of rmt perhaps? Why else would botting and rmts persisted so long on a 20 year old game? Granted people will spend the money or their wouldn’t be an rmt market, but not really fair to the community as a whole.

2 Likes

So will there be a separate server for personal loot only players? When someone joins the game the amount of loot dropped increases. How will that account into drop rates? Will the people who have personal loot only get 1 players worth of drops in game filled with 8 players? Will the rest of then 7 players get the loot of that one player who went personal loot? Can I kick people from my game who have personal loot? If you are asking to have a completely different server for personal loot only people that could split the populations up. I dono just stay true to the original and stop trying to turn diablo into Warcraft 3 reforged disaster

1 Like

How is this going to work when I have personal loot disabled, you have it enabled and we both are in the same game?

If an item drops and I can’t pick it up because the game decided that it is yours, then you clearly have it your way, while I am not having it mine :woman_shrugging:

If your problem is auto pickers just make your own game. With that logic bots doing Baal runs should have personal xp. Why should you get xp that a Bot is farming for you in Baal runs let alone get the loot. One whole aspect of diablo is ninja looting and finding people you can trust to share open loot with. Stop trying to change from the original diablo experIence by just making things more convenient for yourself

1 Like

That is one possibility just like how players select a character that is hardcore versus softcore. The other possibility is to have a game creator set it to global loot or personal loot where it is noted in the game type title by default.

The total number of drops in a multiplayer game (personal or global) would remain the same.

Let’s say in an 8 player game, there is a total of 80 global drops per unit time in D2. In D2R, that number would be constant. In instanced personal loot, players would get on average 10 drops (since 8 players=80 total drops).

Nothing changes in terms of total drops.

It would not be needed. You would choose to have your character as global loot" OR create your own game that others could join labelled glbbal loot OR you can join an existing game with global loot.

Thee are 2 scenarios, dependent on what Blizzard decides. One possibility is to treat this at the character selection screen just as softcore/hardcore is decided. Hardcore players do not play with softcore players and vice versa. Some hind could happen based on loot choice.

The other possibility is to have the game creator toggle it and it is noted in the game type. All players can choose to join/create global loot game or personal loot game.

Either way: If you despised personal loot, you would NEVER need to play in a personal loot game.

2 Likes

My response was not necessarily against pick it bots, though obviously they need not be. It was directed to the point loot from bosses vanishes so fast you don’t even get to see what dropped, not even the junk the bot didn’t get. As for joining bot games, I prefer full clear human ones, but those are few and far between.

2 Likes

A loot system that promotes players to actually stop dpsing to ninja loot the goods pool will always be terrible design. And yes instanced loot promotes leeching too, but at least the players actually fighting don’t walk away with nothing.

6 Likes

All the solutions for personal loot that at least theoretically work, end up splitting the player base and in that case you achieved nothing, because playing on a mod server would have literally the same effect :woman_shrugging:

Basically all the QoL changes they made so far are optional and allow players who don’t like to make use of them to still play with each other.

And I think that this is the very line they shouldn’t cross if they want to make D2:R a success.

1 Like

Moreover the implementation of personal loot is requiring to refactor all interior architecture in code. Both for client and for server. I know what I am speaking about. It’s a huge work.