D2R: Personal/Instanced Loot is a MUST for this game!

People will still spend real money on gear if they want to.

They could easily weigh certain items for certain classes a bit.

PoE also has Personal loot system and also has a really good trade system.

So things like “personal loot will ruin trading” are false.

Also all the modern aRPGs have personal loot as well , hardcore ones and casual ones… not only D3.

And some people who claim to be “hardcore” have only played diablo… and nothing else. That’s pretty casual if you ask me…

Play PoE and then we talkin’ about hardcore…

4 Likes

They actually have an actual economy system going that works really well.
A critical difference is that the currency system implemeted there resembles money a lot more than D2. You can actually have a “bank account” (currency stash) and even if inflation happens your “account” still functions the same way.

In D2, you can’t stack anything, there is no dedicated stash for whichever currency the community settles in. Inflation in D2 cannot happen. Imagine if an item that costs 2 Zod runes today, started costing 64 Zod runes tomorrow. How would you trade that?

Grim Dawn has personal loot , Last Epoch has personal loot , Torchlight has personal loot , Wolcen has personal loot , PoE has personal loot… etc.

All aRPGs and MMORPGs have personal loot nowadays…

Shared loot generates many bad things with less positives…the only positive thing is if you’re lucky and get that loot.

Personal loot has no bad outcomes as far as i know…

I would rather be unlucky with the system (if i get trash loot,at least i got it) than been screwed by my teamates or bots…

4 Likes

While I want personal loot as well (and a lot of other QoL stuff), I can see why it can’t be implemented to D2 without some deep changes that most of the playerbase doesn’t want.
Like I said, the easiest way to please both sides is to have different servers for personal and non-personal loot, with one being completely incomunicable with the other.

100X this. When D2 was initially developed, I suspect it less computationally intensive to have global loot. Computer technology has evolved over the last 20 years. Personal loot is the gold standard now.

Why do you say most? I think it is fair to say a subset of players want global loot while others want personal loot. To my knowledge, there is no data to claim one side is more or less than the other.

Or simply have games where the initial game creator or Blizzard marks it as either personal loot or global loot. In this scenario, it is a win-win.

A more robust economy is in fact with personal loot when you interrogate the math. See post #205 in this thread.

3 Likes

This won’t work if characters playing with instanced loot can trade with characters playing with global loot. Overwhelming inflation will happen.

No, the total drops between the two modes per unit time are the same.

8 player Game
Global loot = 80 total items per unit time

Personal loot = 10 items per unit time (since 8 players = 80 total per unit time)

So there is no inflation. Moreover, see post #205 to see the economic implications. Personal loot results in a higher percent of the playerbase who can participate in trade versus global loot that leads more to the haves and have nots.

2 Likes

D2:R is a revival / refresher of an old game, it’s not being remade in a new light with an these changes. Loot is perfectly fine as it stands in the current game. Survival of the fittest or mf alone if you can’t handle the competition.

We don’t need increased drop rates, we don’t need personal loot, if the take away the item chase, they will ruin the game.

Finally, please stop bringing up current games that utilize personal / instanced loot. They are modern, D2:R is a modern look to a legendary game, it is not a modern game.

If it were survival of the fittest that is fine; however it is not. Global loot promotes leechers who simply survive to swoop into get the good gear since they are not worried about doing DPS. Also, it promotes, autoclicker hacks.

Also, D2R will be on a global server. It therefore will not be survival of the fittest but who lives closest to the server and has less ping. To me, your asserion ignores these realities. The game is being update to modern graphics, shared stash, no character expiration. All of these are modern conveniences. To me, personal loot is simply a modern convenience.

Two people will get two drops. Certainly that is better than one player getting 5 items and the other seven players splitting 5 items where 2 payers get NOTHING.

Over time ands considering simple probability and averages, will results in 800 drops where players will get 100 drops give or take a few.

1 Like

How will you balance the division of 10 drops between 8 players??
Also this way of doing personal loot misses completely the point of even having it in the first place. AFAIK, none of the ARPGs mentioned above do instanced loot that way.

Leaderboards are global, not the entire game server

I think they mentioned that it will be global. Not just the leaderboards.

The game server will be global so the playerbase will not be split by server (e.g. US east vs west + international servers).

Thankfully, no one asked Diablo 3 fans for their opinion on Chess …
As it is an old game and very obsolete, they would suggest things like:

1 - The Pawn needs a mount, because his movement is slow, or they could remove his Stamina.

2 - The PVP / PK is not fair, it is unbalanced, a Pawn cannot fight with a Queen, Queen can only fight with Queen.

3 - If one of the opponents is fast and does not give the other time to think about a strategy, just add a cooldown on it.

4 - A cooldown should also be added if the opponent repeats moves. Just because I want to. I don’t see that as a strategy.

5 - The Horse must catch fire.

6 - The King paid his skill points wrong, should be entitled to a free respec.

7 - The board should have more space, we are in 2021.

8 - The board should have spaces to fit the pieces that are out of the game, it bothers me to have to find a space for them.

9 - The pieces do not move at 60 frames per second. But they should.

10 - The bishop needs to be balanced, the Queen has a lot of advantage over him in the endgame.

1 Like

hey look another nonsense arugment.

Seems like more and more people are in favor of PL and are providing good arguments. I have yet to see any real decent points from the purists. Is the “D3 is bad” vitriol all you guys got?

3 Likes

My arguments against PV (which will not happen, no matter how much they cry) were already exposed back there.

This one (as I clearly mentioned hahaha) is my opinion about the opinion of the Diablo 3 player. It has nothing to do with PL.

But as for PL and Chess I could add this:

11 - In a multiplayer chess game, after a player’s turn any captured piece must be repositioned on the board, as everyone must have the chance to capture the same piece.

1 Like

If Diablo really was a turn based roguelike from the start maybe your opinions would hold water but it’s nor that, neither a world renowned and loved table game with no competition. It’s a digital videogame, there’s no feeling to an almost standard feature. Blizzard have been working with expert economists for years, do you really think they’d allow economy to collapse or get in a bad shape.

Many other ARPGs and MMORPGs have split loot and a well fed economy. Only a few people are pretty disturbed by this to the point of constantly nagging and harassing people discussing ideas instead of coming up with arguments. There must be an ulterior motive or concealed purpose under all this.

Please watch the post mortem talk of David Brevik over Youtube and how he had a sight about game being turn based at the very start with first Diablo. Also Brevik, one of the forefathers’ of this game suggested that he’d allow individual the loot in a twitch stream if he were to make things different in Diablo 2 today.

I only remember someone talking about “the feeling” of the game and fails to give a grounded argument. If you have an argument please save us from the effort, because we failed to find or hear any so far.
If you can successfully dismiss one of the forefathers words who are in the industry for decades, I guess you’re “rightfully a fan” and rest of us are not.

I can’t be sure about what developers can or will decide finally. Perhaps they decide to go with shared loot in the party and neutral players get individual loot but don’t interact other party members with buffs. Who knows?

This exampling of yours is nothing but a time loss to engage and answer. It loops back on and on again. No one said that to apply at once, we even explained some players might come up empty handed if you were to skip everything to hit the boss.
Do you think same doesn’t apply in Diablo 2? Can’t two characters have same uniques or similar rare items?

Your entire response leads me to believe that you just keep repeating the same litany and that you have difficulty reading and understanding.

And a lot of anger too.

In any case, I respect the opposite opinion (either yours or that of the interview), but I don’t agree with a comma even in the points I mentioned back there and you don’t remember.