Very Extended Maintenance

No one on the WoW team that I’ve talked to this afternoon can remember a maintenance that took this long. It looks like that’s because we’ve never done anything like this in World of Warcraft, where we’re basically turning one game into two games and we need every player-character in both games to be perfectly playable as they all were just before maintenance started.

Please know this: there’s a good reason for how long it’s taking, and our live operations team are making solid progress toward a resolution.

There are jobs that copy data and jobs that check the integrity of data and there’s an immense amount of data to process before we even begin the steps that we take to check everything manually. It’s not possible for us to lose anything, but it is possible for us to have an issue that requires a step to be repeated. In today’s case, the step we had to start over was a big one. While performing data integrity checks on the Burning Crusade Classic and Classic Era realms, we discovered an unfortunate issue with all player mail. The nature of the issue necessitated that we restore the portion of the database that contains that information in order to ensure nothing is lost. We’ve been in progress on this restoration for quite some time, but as you can imagine, it’s a huge amount of information.

We apologize for the delay in getting you back into Azeroth. We’re pretty sure we’ll be done in a few hours. It’s impossible to know with certainty, but our understanding of how long it’s going to take is coming into focus.

400 Likes

thanks for the reply bro u coo

76 Likes

you guys didnt check your mail and caused this good job players

47 Likes

Free Dark Portal Passes plz bae ?? Just delete Shadowlands to speed things up maybe or download some more RAM …

36 Likes

Thanks for letting us know!

15 Likes

Imagine if you, ya know, tested this?

56 Likes

<3 We are here when it is ready.

12 Likes

We appreciate the update!

20 Likes

So why does it only take 2 seconds and couple button clicks in the TBC beta?

4 Likes

Were you around in 2007? Because that maintenance took 6 days.

61 Likes

seems like something that should have been done before today. so who dropped the ball on when this kind of splitting/cloning should have been done? obviously today wasnt the right answer.

13 Likes

Thanks for the update !

4 Likes

Ty, Kaivax for the head’s up.

4 Likes

I am sure the responses to this post will be well thought out, reasonable and patient.

84 Likes

Thank you for the update!! I am just glad to know that our characters are safe.

11 Likes

Thank you Blizzard for the communication and the apology. That’s pretty much the biggest complaint I had with how it was being handled, and I hope that you can resolve it quickly. But I do question why you waited so long to decide to test the system this thoroughly.

Still, no one should take it out on Kaivax. They are the ones communicating it to us, which is something we need more of.

41 Likes

Poor Jim from tech support having to do all this work himself because everyone else got layer off due to small inde company budget cuts.

37 Likes

Almost no one from the current team is from the original crew.

7 Likes

Thanks for the update. Try to ignore people being Karens

19 Likes

So like, can we get an extra day of prepatch to compensate for the loss of today?

24 Likes