PSA - Linking Classic Game Keys to Your Battlenet Account

I’ve seen several of these so it may be helpful to make a post on it.

Some people who have not purchased Warcraft 3: Reforged are finding that with the update, they can’t get into the game at all, not even to play Classic mode. In order to play Classic without buying Reforged, one has to own the original Warcraft 3.

Meaning, you must prove to Battlenet that you indeed do own the original WC3. And that is done by linking your Reign of Chaos* game key to your Battlenet account.

To do that, go to your Account management and enter the key into the “Redeem a Code” field. After the process is complete, confirm that the key is listed under your “Games & Subscriptions”>“Classic Games”:

*Note: Linking only a RoC key will grant both Classic RoC and Classic TFT in the Reforged client. However, linking only a TFT key will do nothing. In fact, TFT keys are currently no longer needed for anything.

If for some reason the website won’t accept your RoC game key, contact Customer Support directly via a support ticket. I recommend either the Live Chat or Callback if they are open.

2 Likes

Why would anyone want to go back though? The Reforged experience is better in every way!

2 Likes

LoL!

Some never made the leap. They just want their Classic back!

1 Like

I can confirm that buying classic WC3 a few years ago worked for me and I can play WC3 without buying Reforged.

1 Like

Yep. As long as it’s the current version.

I don’t own Reforged and with linked game keys in my Battlenet account I can play Classic with no issues.

1 Like

This is good to know. I linked my Classic CD Keys years ago, so I assume I can simply download the Launcher and I’m good-to-go.

Here’s a question though: My best friend never purchased the expansion, just “Reign of Chaos.” Since “Classic” now uses the “Reforged” installer, but simply locks out the “Reforged” content, does this mean he’d now have access to Classic “The Frozen Throne?”

Should be!

So what I’ve heard with the Reforged client is that simply just the RoC key will unlock BOTH in the Reforged client.

You can test this by only entering the RoC key, use the cheat coeds to get to the last RoC mission, used cheat codes again to beat it, and see if the 1st chapter of TFT unlocks.

Someone I know said they did that and TFT did unlock for them. So you get both even if you only bought RoC in the past.

1 Like

Cool! For myself, I own the retail game and expansion, but as I mentioned, my best friend only ever bought a digital copy of “Reign of Chaos” a few years back (from the Blizzard Store).

I’ll tell him to check, and that he may have access to “The Frozen Throne” now.

Have him try the cheat code trick if he likes, and report back if you get a chance about whether or not TFT does unlock. I figure if it works for two people, it’s verified.

I will! I figure it’ll take him a bit though as he and his wife are moving this weekend.

That sounds like something is up with the system because you were able to log in and make it to at least that point. Those who don’t have their key linked can’t log in at all.

You may want to drop a line in the Bug Report forum.

You saved my day…