[2021 ver.] Compiled Replies to Buff / Nerf / Complaints

Hello.

Here’s my compilation regarding the common posts relating to Buff / Nerf / Complaints that take up more than 50% (just a conservative estimate) of the threads in the forums.

I noticed that most of the time, many of these claims, though logical / well thought out, disregard the original intentions that the game developers have, while attempting to put forth the OP’s own intentions.

There is nothing wrong in doing that per se. But assuming if the purpose is to catch the developers’ attention in hopes for a change, then I do think that it will be important to first understanding the original intention of the said feature / race / unit / function, etc. From there, we can then discuss about what would be the proposed alternative on how it should be adjusted / changed.

I hope that with this post, we can then have more proper and conducive discussions about game balancing rather than just ranting (but hey, it is your right to rant too, haha).

Note that I am in no way writing this to insist that people have to agree with me. Just as I accord the respect for you not agreeing with me, I do expect that I am accorded the same respect for having a differing view. But if you are keen on discussing in depth (and properly) regarding some of my claims below (even if you disagree), I am definitely open to it.

With that, let’s dive straight into the main topic.

================================================================================

< Topics Overview >

• #1 (-insert race here-) is OP / imbalanced / needs to be nerfed / useless.
  • #2 I need to do so many things more than the opponent to win.
  • #3 (-insert race here-) has (-insert unit here-), but this other race doesn’t.
  • #4 (-insert unit here-) is OP / imbalanced / needs to be nerfed / useless.
  • #5a (-insert race here-) should not be able to (-insert strategy-)
  • #5b (-insert race here-) should not be able to (-insert cheese strategy-)

================================================================================

#1 (-insert race here-) is OP / imbalanced / needs to be nerfed / useless.

Some of the claims involve:

1. Data that there are more of a certain race in certain leagues / tourneys / tourneys rankings.
  2. Data that a certain race has higher than ideal win rates (ideal being ~50%).
  3. Data from specifically chosen replays.
  4. Data from their own personal games only.

< Definition of Balance >

Firstly, it is important to figure out what your definition of balance is. Then, see if your definition matches with what the game developers’ definition. From my experience, many times everyone has their own idea of what balance should be, but it is often different from the developers’.

This is my personal assumption (I won’t claim that this is accurate):

That Activision’s definition of balance is when every race has an approximate 50:50 win rate (against all 3 races).

This is the ideal case (when the no. of games played reaches infinity).

More games = more accuracy = closer to 50:50 win rate, and vice versa. When the win rate deviates, that is when someone will promote / demote from their league.

Don’t get me wrong, you are absolutely entitled to your opinion on that. The issue comes when players expect the game to be changed based on their own definition / opinion.

We can definitely propose this as a suggestion, but the insistence that there is only your way and no other way isn’t going to bring your argument very far. In fact, you are only going to grow more frustrated and one day just stop playing, because you didn’t have it “your way”.

< Accuracy of Data Set >

Data is great if you want to have a general idea of a hypothesis. However, they are not conclusive evidence to be used for an argument. That is because many times the data that is used is:

• Limited in the no. of games. - The fewer the games (further from infinity), the more inaccurate the numbers will be. Most of the time, people take the data from 1 tourney, or 1 snapshot in time, and claim that it is a representation of the game in whole.
  • Cherry picked. - I often see people first have an argument they want to justify, then start searching for data that supports that point. That isn’t how we use data. We first obtain the data, and then we draw hypothesises about what may or may not be.

And all these are based on the assumption that the data source has integrity. This inaccuracy in data set will only getting worse because the no. of games played in a 10 year old game is decreasing. Other areas that need to be considered are:

• What about other leagues?
  • What about other tourneys?
  • What about other unpublished rounds in the tourneys?
  • What about other replays?
  • What about other players’ experiences?

For every ‘evidence’ for the case, there will probably be a ‘counter evidence’ against the case available as well. And the only way to make it more reliable is to gather more data sources (which I have yet to see anyone making an argument do).

#2 I need to do so many things more than the opponent to win.

1. Data from specifically chosen replays.
  2. Data from their own personal games only.

< APM / Micro is rewarded >

SC2 has always favoured the player that performs more things. To share a few popular scenarios that players argue from is that:

• P can A-move their army while Z needs to carefully micro their units and casters in order to win.
  • Z can A-move Ling Bane into a T bio ball who then needs to split in order to win.
  • T can throw EMPs and blanket the entire P army, and they need to put Templars into Prisms to win.

Many people will say that it is unfair to the latter race. But I do feel that most are missing the key point - that the latter, if performed correctly, wins.

The counter to that strategy that lacks micro is a properly executed one with more micro. It may seem “unfair” that one side needs to “work more” but note that in all the above situations, the former either has difficulty micro-ing or will be unlikely to make a difference if they micro more against the latter who is already performing the micro.

< Accuracy of Data Set >

I won’t repeat the same explanation regarding accuracy of the data set, as mentioned in #1.

#3 (-insert race here-) has (-insert unit here-), but this other race doesn’t.

< Races are Asymmetrical >

This is often overlooked when people make their claims. They fail to realise that the 3 races are intended to function / perform / be played differently:

• Z has 1 main production building and has the inject / larvae system; having creep vision / speed at the cost of requiring structures to be on creep; using up drones to build buildings; gradual auto regen but low HP.
  • P has warp capabilities to reinforce the front lines quickly but are generally slow moving; pylon system allowing them to build without a worker stuck to the building but risk being unpowered; shields and HP concept but pricer stuff.
  • T has basic production buildings that are able to fly when required (allowing interesting strategic plays like a ‘recoverable proxy’) but being add-on reliant; ability to repair most of their stuff; base units that scale well over time.

If you noticed, they are all leveraging off different concepts.

The claim to have one race function like another is simply a flawed one because that will make 2 races the same. And if the races were to be identical, then what is the use of having different races? It would be similar to just having the same race but with a different skin. This was not the original intention when 3 races were created.

< Accuracy of Data Set >

I won’t repeat the same explanation regarding accuracy of the data set, as mentioned in #1.

#4 (-insert unit here-) is OP / imbalanced / needs to be nerfed / useless.

1. Data from websites that show unit cost spent (player) against unit cost taken down (opponent).
  2. Data from specifically chosen replays.
  3. Data from their own personal games only.

< Usage of Units Aren’t Measured >

It is crucial to point out that many times, the “how a unit is used” isn’t captured in a lot of statistics collected.

My favourite example would be banelings which are theoretically the most inefficient unit there is in the game. They involve sacrificing the cost (50/25 each) in order to deal damage. If I recall, the only ‘unit’ that functions similarly (sacrificing self) would be a nuke. However, this results in banelings being deemed to be extremely cost ineffective on paper. Similarly, if you micro a BC and always repair it, suddenly it can be the most cost efficient unit in the game.

Factors that affect the numbers include:

• Micro that can result in a unit surviving or dying.
  • Small skirmishes (that add up and deviate the ratio).
  • Actual mistakes in game (since even pro level players screw up / misclick at times).

< Definition of Balance / Units are Asymmetrical >

This is somewhat similar to the explanations in #1 and #3, just in a different context.

Some common forms of such claims include:

• Broodlords and Carriers lose to Thors.
  • VRs can kill most stuff when en masse.
  • Lurkers are like burrowed siege tanks with more mobility.

The reply to this is actually that all units are intended to function differently. That is why they have different attack types, different armour types, etc.

For every unit in the game, there will be a feasible counter with another race’s unit. Though note that it is not a direct 1:1 counter (in terms of quantity or functionality). The counter may work differently from the unit itself, but it is a counter nonetheless.

For this, I would side track a little, and highly recommend that all players consider playing the Challenges segment under the WoL campaign. It may not exactly be the most updated (to current meta), but it provides a pretty good understanding regarding unit types (and armour types) that is a consistent concept throughout the SC2 history.

< Accuracy of Data Set >

#5a (-insert race here-) should not be able to (-insert strategy-)

#5b (-insert race here-) should not be able to (-insert cheese strategy-)

3. Data from what they have read from the forums (the more vocal community).

< Choice of Strategy Goes Both Ways >

Imagine playing SC2 and having the game choose one of the strategy below that you have to follow:

• Full Rush
  • Timing Attack
  • Aggressive Push
  • Economic Focus
  • Straight to Air

(I got this list from the current A.I. strategy selection in game.)

Many will probably cry foul saying, “But it is my game, I should get to choose how to play how I want!” And the same people are 100% right. The only problem is that they are doing the same thing to their opponents when they are the ones playing.

Often in the forums, you will hear people complaining about how their opponents shouldn’t be allow to do this or that. But I always wonder, if their opponent is allowed to tell them how to play, will they be able to take it then? If not, then why expect the same for their opponent?

< Blizzard Endorses Most Strategies >

Some of the most popular complaints I’ve come across are:

• P should not be allowed to mass carriers.
  • T should not be allowed to mass BC / Thors.
    (Why no love for Z? :sob:)
  • P should not be allowed to cannon rush.
  • T should not be allowed to proxy / mass reapers early game.
  • Z should not be allowed to early pool and ling rush.

My only question to such people is that, wouldn’t you think that after 10 years of SC2, Blizzard would’ve at least considered these thoughts once? The only conclusions that one can draw from the continued existence of these strategies is that:

1. Blizzard endorses such strategies; or that
  2. Everyone at Blizzard is so stupid that these few players (on the forums) seem to know how the game should be played compared to them.

I think it is quite obvious that the answer is #2… no, of course I’m kidding. It is clearly #1. All strategies are viable because strategy in itself is intended to be a gamble.

The entire game is based off the struggle between being greedy vs being safe. It is up to individual players where they would like to draw the line. And when everything finally plays out, you will then look back and see whether you made the right gamble or not.

If you have read till the end, I’d applaud you for it. Not many people have this kind of attention span to read through something this heavy.

I will also be upfront and let you know that the original intention of this post was because I kept needing to type the same explanation over and over again when replying to some of the forums’ posts. I basically got sick of it and thought that I should just create a master post for me to link to.

This way, whenever I want to use a certain explanation, I can just post the link to this thread. Especially since the flow of many of the threads nowadays are pretty much identical, haha.

8 Likes

This is false, just because more micro is required from one player does not mean the outcome of the engagement will be solely determined by that player.

Vs skytoss zerg is expected to do more by controlling multiple casters, focus firing, and dodging aoe, yet even if they do all of that correctly the outcome is dependent on the protoss player’s ht control. This is because ht are more mobile inside a prism, which also let’s them dodge fungal, and they outrange vipers while casting the aoe that determines whether zerg can even engage.

It’s the same with mech vs zerg except ghost don’t even need a prism as they outrange infestor and viper by themselves.

There is no single counter to mass bc by p or z.

Ask literally any player whether they’d prefer the brood to the thor or carrier :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wow you really were bored

1 Like

You are right. But that is not the point that I am driving.

In the end, the game favours micro when it comes to engagement. The more micro, the more probable that the player is going to win. Note that I mention “probable” and not “guarantee”. Are there exceptions? Yes, but in general, it is still the case.

Hmm, so far from what I see when it reaches this stage, there are a few things at play:

• Lurkers are used to counter HT.
  • Corruptors / Hydras used to handle air.
  • Vipers for support.
  • Ultras / Lings / Hydras against Gateway tech.

It is much more rare that the end game Z uses Infestors for a Skytoss composition. Depending on how the Z player micros, they will have an advantage over the P. Granted that P can lessen the advantage depending on how they play, the game will be more favoured towards Z for that engagement depending on their micro. That is because in the end, storms can still be dodged (meaning micro once again).

Though to be fair to the P, this is just a small snapshot of just the battle. In the grander scheme of things, if P is able to force the Z to over commit on Corruptors, the Z will then be stuck with a load of supply that will be unable to stop a Gateway tech remax. Hence the tug of war goes on.

Er, from understanding corruptors are the counter to mass BC in the current meta isn’t it?

Well the truth is that I have seen Z players claim that BL loses to the other 2 and so it isn’t fair to the Z player. Remember, it is what people are claiming, not me.

In the end, we draw back to the main point of my post, it isn’t do drill down into the details, but to show people that it cannot be compared this way because the intended functions are different (despite them being a “T3 equivalent” for each race).

I am here to show that the game is generally pretty decently balanced over the years. Still not perfect (because everyone’s definition of perfect differs) but still a lot closer than what many people claim.

For p no counter against mass bc tempest huge overkill stalker was glass unit for late game

1 Like

There is in the current meta. VR / Stalker / Archon (to some degree).

People have the wrong idea that BCs deal a lot of burst damage. Ignoring Yamato (which is, of course), the regular attacks just deal decent damage. The only reason why it feels as if it is “a lot” is because the BC is so tanky that they can stay in battle for a long time. As a result, the damage dealt is a lot, but over a longer period of time.

Yeah,let us ignore Tactical Jump and how it can be used to do free damage by backstabbing your opponent (at the right moment) and then retreating to safety.Your VR/archon/stalker combo wont do anything in that situation.You either base trade or counter attack/cancel expansions if you can.

1 Like

You are spot on for this.

Mass BC is unable to handle the VR / Stalker / Archon composition. Therefore the retaliatory response for this is the T choosing to head over to your base (via Tactical Jump) instead, leaving the decision to you to defend or base trade.

A few things come to mind for this:

• It is a “counter-counter play” (if I can crudely call it that), but still doesn’t change the fact that mass BC has a counter meta. (Note that the initial concern was that “there is no counter to mass BC”.)
  • The decision to trigger a potential base trade is in no way different from when a Z chooses to hit the opponent’s base with their full army (for e.g.) instead of engaging head-on against the opponent’s.

Your statement, unless I am interpreting wrongly, seem to imply that the T should not have such an option (to trigger a base trade), am I right?

2 Likes

[UPDATE]

#5a (-insert race here-) should not be able to (-insert strategy-)

#5b (-insert race here-) should not be able to (-insert cheese strategy-)

All im saying is that Tactical Jump is an issue which hasn’t been looked at.I prefer tweaks,not complete Ban of strategies.The cooldown on TJ is low,and being able to jump into uncharted territory without vision at ZERO cost seems like unpolished concept for the ability itself.Not to mention that Tempest are unable to catch up with BCs (and yes i know Tempest are faster but they need to stop moving in order to shoot which means they lose acceleration and need to pickup speed AGAIN while the BCs just run away until TJ becomes available for use)
Sadly,blizzard doesn’t give a crap about balancing such small and insignificant things which is why people stopped caring and the game is dead.

1 Like

No they won’t have an advantage, zerg’s army loses on a-move, requires more micro, is more fragile, and is outranged by ht which can effectively have the mobility of a warp prism. Protoss has to do less and has the stronger army, they just can’t be bothered to make a separate control group for ht + prism.

Stuff like this is how I know you’re full of it. If toss ever losses air superiority to corruptors then zerg just mass morphs broods with reinforcing queens and corruptors and ends the game.

Skytoss don’t care about leftover corruptors because at that point they’ve already lost. Their win-con isn’t to win with a ground remax vs corruptors, it’s to take neverending cost-efficient trades while slowly sacrificing probes for army, eventually creating a deathball zerg has no chance of beating.

If you let terran get to mass bc then it’s game over cause they just yamato 20 corruptors and blink back behind missile turrets and mass repair. Especially considering the supply needed for corruptors to effectively counter BC’s is a 3-1 ratio, this means terran guarantees zerg wastes as much supply into corruptors as he has into BC’s, except BC’s of course also beat every other unit zerg has.

Just because they are different does not mean one is not worse than the other.

Just because they fulfill different roles does not mean comparisons between them are invalid.

It is pretty balanced for you cause you’re like a gold league protoss player.

I can’t really comment much on this because it seems more like a preference. I do think that there have been attempts to play around with this by switching from energy → cool down based to prevent HT from feedback-ing it.

Tempest really is not in the current meta now. I almost never see it in pro level game plays. Which is why the counter meta for mass BC for P is never Tempest. Tempests (for a short period of time) could cast this spell that will slowly leech the HP of a unit. Perhaps they can make the ability scale based on armour type (and so deal more damage over the same period of time) against massive units? Abit like a DOT but perhaps with a 1-2 sec cast time?

Just throwing out random thoughts.

I think we are on the same page (somewhat). My claim is that:

• If P & Z a-move, P will win.
  • If P a-move, Z micro, Z will win.
  • If P & Z micro, it will be slightly inclined to Z (especially if the support is HT storms because storms can be micro-ed against).

Therefore we are on the same page isn’t it? P doesn’t do a HT + Prism micro, but they will still micro their HTs because they need to avoid Lurkers.

Hmm, I’m not sure which level of the meta you are talking about, because I am referring to pro level scene. If you haven’t been up to date, most of the time the Z is able to take out the Skytoss. The problem is the follow up after that when the Z is stuck with too many supply in Corruptors and therefore lose to a Gateway heavy remax.

Perhaps in lower tiers what you mentioned is true (or that it was that way in the previous meta), but it isn’t the case for the upper tiers in the current meta.

PS: I am not sure why you need to be crude when we are all just sharing opinions in a discussion. You don’t exactly have to take mine if you disagree. As mentioned in the first post, I am here to state my view about balance. I am not asking you to agree with me. Maybe you might want to find out why this thread was created.

Well, I have been in few games that T mass BC. The method that you mentioned is somewhat true for a T who is attempting to turtle. However, a turtle T can still lose when:

• You run out of resources (since you are turtling).
  • You get caught in fungal / neutral parasite.

The losses from the Z will be more, but that has always been how Z is played (hence they need 1 base more than other races). Which of course leads me back to my point about the game rewarding people for more micro.

I do wonder what is your definition of comparison then?

When you compare 2 things, you draw attention to a particular feature / function and then see how different they are in that aspect.

Otherwise, it won’t be any different from saying:

• A fish can swim;
  • But the cat is black in colour.

I don’t see how that is a comparison. Likewise, because the 3x T3 units function differently, how will you measure whether one is ‘worse than’ the other? It will be saying:

• A Broodlord is useless before it can’t shoot air; whereas the Thor and Carrier can.
  • The Thor is useless because it can’t fly: whereas the Broodlords and Carrier can fly.

Which actually defeats the purpose of the comparison because the Broodlord’s function is not to shoot air, just as the Thor’s function is not to fly.

I like how people always assume that when you defend a race, you are playing that race. :slight_smile: I have been playing Z for 10+ years now, and though I find Skytoss difficult, I don’t complain that they need a nerf / Z needs a buff. I deal with it by improving my game play. (And of course, go into proper civil discussion about strategies with friends, rather than just whip out one’s ego and swing it around.)

1 Like

Nope we are not. P will win with perfect control on both sides because ht outrange viper and can dodge fungal with prism.

P having to micro a prism and press PA before a-moving is not equivalent to Z having to focus fire, stay out of range of fb, dodge storms, and manage 2 casters.

I am not sure which meta you are talking about when you say infestors are rarely used vs skytoss…

Skytoss does not beat zerg by remaxing on gateway…

The win-con is constructing one big army and winning one big fight, a scenario where they lose their air fleet is a scenario they should lose.

1. L2 split map.

2. Ghost outrange both as a cost and supply efficient counter.

This is nothing about losses, it’s about the fact that zerg has no way of winning if you let terran get mass bc.

By comparing the sum of their advantages and disadvantages.

The broodlord also has other disadvantages like cost-inefficiency and low speed, as well as overlapping roles with the lurker.

I don’t believe you.

Well, no need to specially create another account just to copy and paste your previous post. :slight_smile:

And well, you may be disappointed to find out that I am not here to convince you. LoL. Truth isn’t dependent on whatever you believe or not.

1 Like

I post on this acc cause you or someone else reported that post and got it removed.

Truth is not dependent on what you claim on a bnet forum. Provide rankedftw or gtfo.

:man_facepalming: :man_facepalming: :man_facepalming:
LUL, who told you that?

You think otherwise? :joy: :joy: :joy:

Be sure to link me some high level games where the protoss losses their skytoss army and wins off a gateway remax. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

LUL

This is biggest exaggeration… it is determine by protoss fall asleep. Or not fall asleep. That simple…

1 Like

Provided that Protoss has a bank, he also has 16 GW ready for pumping Stalkers, Archons and Zealots while 4-5 Starports are spinning under Chronoboost new Carriers…
No, it does not end that easily.
I would agree with you if in the last battle the death of the Golden Armada was achieved with no losses on the Zerg side.

1 game that supports his claim that tosses can lose their skytoss army and win off a gateway remax. Just one game. Make me eat my words :slight_smile: