Mercy Salt- I Hate this Hero

This is salt but I did post a non salt thread about why I like her.

This is just my opinion on her overall so… Nah. I’m not replying to defend my thoughts. Feel free to disagree. That’s totally fine and fair. But I will mod this if it gets too nasty. I admire the ride or die aspect of mercy players but sometimes, it’s a pain. I really thought about… Mellowing the hate but… I’m pretty mellow in the forums and the worst I get is snarky at best. Or tired. This is genuinely my opinion in a rant format.

Might get 404d for it but… I just want to voice my thoughts. Just hitting create is good for me.

I wouldn’t post this if I basically weren’t going to leave the forums in a bit. But I have some thoughts and you know… sometimes… you think a thing and you just gotta… Make people mad.

So… I hate Mercy. It’s… really not a secret.
However, I am in many a mercy thread because well, I like supports and balance and guess what? Mercy be a support. And she affects balance. But I usually leave it as a quick side note, usually in regards to someone claiming that my bias for her blinds me. I have to explain that no… my hate for her is deep and the vitriol is nasty. But I can’t say I have ever… fully detailed what it is that bothers me about her.

And so here it is. The play by play of my hate of mercy, and everything about her. You really won’t get a response from me on this. It’s literally my opinion and I can respect that plenty of people like her. I don’t blame you. But just like plenty of people like her… I am allowed to not. It’s entirely valid to not like a thing. Mercy isn’t a real person. I’m not hurting her feelings. I’m not saying you’re a bad person for liking her. But I DON’T.

Moreover, I HATE her. And I genuinely, 100% believe the game would have been better off had they not made Angela Zeigler, Aka the hero Mercy. And I feel like my view isn’t merely a “wahh she no aim so she should be bad” which most hate for her is.

I’m not some weird tank streamer who just, screeches when a support isn’t diveable. But I do have salt. And the salt is spreading as the game goes along. So yeah, this will be a salty thread. Unlike when I am reserved because I’m not ranting about mercy… This is a rant. This is my salt. I do in fact get mad over her. I am not exaggerating when I say… I HATE MERCY.

designing a character: The Honey Trap Awakens

Ever seen the concept art of Mercy? Now THAT’S a hero imo. Literally everything around him was as the counter to what the stereotype of a healer was. So much of who mercy is, is immediately changed when given to a dark skinned black man. Now of course, this isn’t inherent. You wouldn’t have such a contrast if it weren’t just that… a stereotype. Social rules and trends are what make counterculture. But here’s the things, counterculture, imo is what defined overwatch to start. A knight in the future. A race of people that aren’t seen as human because they aren’t, ninjas, archers, building… There are aspects of the game not only not standard to the concepts and trends of fps games, but of what people consider to be the future in general. It’s often bleak, dark and gritty. Overwatch was explicitly against the grain in its development for this reason. It wanted to be positive and happy and bright.

Imo, concept Mercy fits because the counterculture of the world aligned better with such a concept. Our stereotypes made him non-stereotypical. And that’s super great. The choice to instead make an explicit honey trap is honestly… disappointing. But also something I think marked the beginnings of what influence being popular would have on balance, gameplay, and hero kits.

I don’t mean it as a intentional bias for all mercy players. But honestly, hearing some people explicitly say that they love their “gentle, fair skinned, pretty healer” just…. Creeps me out with the racist rhetoric undertones. And I do mean that. Because no one finds moira, also a skinny fair skinned lady, as “pretty.”

I know this isn’t all mercy players. But it is an intentional choice from design. And it’s one that I know many a mercy player falls for. Mercy doesn’t go against the grain with her role and lore. She plays into it. And for me, should have been a sign that the popularity of a hero would define the game.

A Main Healer Role Starts

There were 3 healers at launch. 3. And Mercy was not a main healer. Because NO ONE was. There were THREE healers. Symm wasn’t an “Off healer.” She wasn’t a healer at all. There were no main healers at launch. And then we got ana.

And there were STILL no main healers. This is because Ana wasn’t launched as a main healer. She launched as a support. 100% heal nade is a lot less obnoxious when you only have 8 shots a clip. It’s fine when you only have 10 shots on launch. But the game was slower, we weren’t as good, and Ana launched and people didn’t heal on her. That’s not on Ana. But it did give her a buff. Ana imo, was the first hero I would consider to have earned the title “main healer.” But at the time of her buff, she was not deemed one. And then we buffed Mercy.

THE WHINING NEVER CEASED. Ana was blamed for poor mercy never being used. Poor mercy didn’t bring enough because of ana. Ana pushed her out. Ana hurt mercy. Not like Ana also made zen much less relevant but noooo. Or how mercy wasn’t ever really meta beyond the fact that there were only 3 healers. Or how symm literally was never meta. But ya know… We gotta focus on poor pitiful mercy. And not only do we need to buff her, but we need to buff her in healing because healing is all mercy wants to do. We can’t give her an ability, or work with dmg boost. Noooooo. Poor mercy is a “pure healer and that’s why she’s good.” So we buff mercy. And she STILL wasn’t good. And so we need to buff her MORE. Poor mercy isn’t doing as good as ana. Ana is too strong. Mercy needs to compete with ana. This narrative around Ana V Mercy existed even tho mercy had and has more in common with lucio and zen than she does Ana.

This narrative never should have existed. Why wasn’t mercy given a better ult to compete with zen and lucio? Why wasn’t ana brought in line to zen and lucio like she was to start. Catering to the whining demands of mercy players and her poorly thought out play made her weaker and weaker and changed the fundamental design of the game. We went from Supports to Healers and imo it wasn’t needed. Mercy’s “pure healer angelic” design makes heal beam her focus and it never should have been. And makes her play bad in game design and bad for the game overall

Pure Healer Support is a Bunch of BS

Say what you want about Mercy Raids, and the leader’s deplorable actions, but they definitely got people talking. Just like Trump, you get people talking and sometimes that insight would have never been seen.

I didn’t realize that to many a mercy player prior to her rework, they saw her as a “pure healer.” Maybe because in my head… she wasn’t. And isn’t. Ya know who be? Moira. Iz Moira.

“Moira is a Dps hybrid” what a bunch of nonsense. Ana has higher dps and isn’t a “dps hybrid” Every time I hear or see requests for a “pure healer” I roll my eyes back in time to ye olden days when mercy had NO way to increase her base kit value for allies beyond her pistol and how her healing was limited. Moira was released and lo and behold… turns out, high healing and a heal focus isn’t… actually what mercy players want. They want MERCY. If it’s not ANGELA and her soft face and gentle voice… it doesn’t count.

MOIRA is the heal woman. It’s the only non dmg ability she can even do, and she does 150% more heals than dmg at any given moment to a SINGLE player. Let alone how she heals MULTIPLE ALLIES. But moira isn’t a pretty cute angel lady. She isn’t cute and pink and flowery. Which shows me that rhetoric about a “pure healer” is nothing but excuses to keep mercy played one way. Can’t remove dmg boost because god forbid she lose anything. But you also need to buff that heal beam. That;s what we want. And nothing else matters.

It’s so annoying. You literally have the pure support and chose not to use her until everything else mercy synergizes with was pushed out of meta, and agentively, looking at mercys pick rates to win rates…. Didn’t. Now, when I argue for balance, I do think Mercy needs to be viable. As a … kit and asset to your team and the game, yes, mercy needs to be viable. At all ranks.

I realize that one tricking is the real issue with people sticking to a hero no matter what. That isn’t a mercy issue. But I do think, that unlike every other hero who has to switch with counters, or else they know they are throwing/ not doing as well, Mercy s huge population of players allowed such a thing to become acceptable.

“I only play mercy” “I can only play mercy” and it was like that until it became negative. “No aim no brain mercy main” And #shock when it became negative. NO DUH it would turn sour. And heres the thing, I am fine with lower aim heroes. I am fine with Autolock 100%. I do think it can be balanced. But unlike widow or mccree who will switch to soldier or tracer or pharah etc because of aim requirements, Mercy players hide behind her.

“wah I can’t aim”
“then play lucio”
“But we need healing :<”
“Then play moira”
“:O”

Like, god forbid the beam woman switch to the ACTUAL HEAL WOMAN.

You don’t want a pure, healer, support. You want MERCY with moira’s kit. Or even easier, because spray is so hard and god forbid you cant float “like an angel.” People mock moiras aim requirements but, nah. She needs aim to do her basic job. Basic aim for a basic job. And Many a mercy REFUSES to. Good on moira for finding a meta, and I have seen some mercy players #shocked that moira is “so fun actually!” Like yeah. Shes a heal woman. That be what you literally wanted. #eyeroll Mercy is NOT a pure healer. No launch healer was a pure healer. Her utility was part of her design. Her lethality is part of what goes in her balance.

Like… I just imagine Jeff in the rework meetings like “okay, so … when we rework her, we need a healer to replace her. But like… what they want… So what about a healer…. Who only heals? And like, that’s it? And dmg… like what if we gave her baby dmg. And like, not make it her main kit? And like, with limited range so you only want to use it if you’re already being hurt. Like an actual pacifist? Wouldn’t that be nice? A pure pacifist support who only engages when she has to. Guys… the support mains are gonna be so happy.” No jeff. Not unless she was sunny and blonde. Sorry.

The Rework MONSTER

Turns out… utility is how this game is won. And emphasizing her utility has made mercy leagues better than mass rez mercy ever was. Heres the thing, Im not against mass rez. And I think it would be more viable now than before. I wouldn’t want it because I Don’t like rez as it is in game, but. Im not against it in theory. What I do think, is that mass rez mercy was less viable. And that’s because Rez is niche (see my other thread). But I think mass rez or something like it works…. FOR AN OFF HEALER. Lucio zen… like… idk… what mercy launched as?

She wasn’t a main healer . No launch healer was. But we FORCED this narrative to make her more like ana. And it worked. They got their blueprint of making a hero viable and it spread to heroes beyond mercy. Why bother making symm work? Why bother having a niche? Rework Why bother making torb armor work? Armor is a pain to get and play against. Rework Why have anything that makes any streamer upset to use? If Owl wont use it… it’s not good. Rework. Let’s split the effort needed to think about making abilities count.

Things are more viable in short bursts. Just make each thing tie to time instead of having any need to have a consequence for using an action. Torb sombra symm brig…. All these reworks can be seen and found in mercys rise to power. And it is gross. And ai am so mad at mercy players for ruining other heroes all because they didn’t want to use their secondary fire.

A Hero to Counter Metas- It wasn’t Brig

Brig oh Brig, who gets the brunt of the “222” argument. I don’t blame brig tho.

I BLAME MERCY. Mercy and the DAMN ana v mercy rhetoric.

“ana and mercy ana and mercy ana and mercy” good GOD.

If mercy wasn’t so trash at using her actual kit, none of this would have happened. Oh, I agree, ana was overtuned. But they didn’t just revert her ammo buff. No. We buffed MERCY. And Buffed her and buffed her. We needed mercy to counter ana. Mercy needed to be the new meta. Mercy mercy mercy. Triple tank? Mercy. Dive? Mercy. Here we are, ages later… Moira? MERCY. Had we just…. Let mercy stay as she had been and tuned ana down once we figured out that LMAO a healer HEALS well, it would have been fine. But instead we brought mercy UP instead of bringing ana down. And this is where we started this idea of a hero to counter. Enter Sombra. A hero the devs didn’t even WANT. But felt was NEEDED for balance and the game. Everyone acts like it was about dive that we got brig. But really, it was mercy. Its not about adding a hero to the game, but that there IS a hero in the game. So tracer wasn’t nerfed. Ana wasn’t nerfed. Instead we buff mercy. And from there, when sombra failed to reel in dive, and orisa, and moira… we get Brig. Who was the result of ages of heroes launching underwhelming. You wanna stop dive? Let’s see… how did we make a new meta from triple tank… OP mercy? What about a strong tank healer?

THAT’S GONNA DO THE TRICK.

If mercy just… stayed in her damn lane, I don’t feel any of these reworks would have been needed or wanted. But she got viable. And that was worth a damn meta. And that meta led to more and more nonsense for metas. Until we realize… fine. 222. Now I am fine with 222. But I think this was an issue LONG before Brig.

Imo, had we kept ana to her launch and beta state, triple tank wouldn’t have been an issue. it’s the incessant need to keep heal beam mercy meta, that did us in. rather than what works best for the design, and goal of the hero and game.

Yikes, this is already 2.5k words of hate. And I really have so much more. From her skins to her voice lines to her cinematic screen time… Call me the Pacific cuz man… My salt is vast and deep. But I think this covers my view on her fairly well. At least the major gripes I have. I have issues regarding rez, and the “shes a go to for raw healing” and such AND I DO I REALLY DO AND I COULD WRITE ON but I think 2.5k of salt is…. Quite enough for this as it is merely just… sharing my view and not really saying how to fix anything nor giving a place to change my mind.

Because imo the damage is done. You can’t undo the point we have gotten to. Mercy killed the game before it ever took off. Her history and popularity can never be erased. There is no fix to the stain she poured on this game. Moreover, she already exists. Its not fair to take a hero away from people who genuinely like what was made.

They already like her and its not toxic or anything to like a thing. Is mercy a stereotypical western waifu bait? Yeah. But people can still enjoy bait. Who cares? It’s just a game. Mercy as it stands has every right to be viable and good even tho she isn’t an AIM QUEEN. Aim shouldn’t be the end all be all in the game as it stands. It could change. I hope not. I think her playerbase is in fact hated for liking her and they shouldn’t. its not fair imo how they are seen overall and its bad for the game to exclude them. But that doesn’t mean I have to like her. Nor that shes popular.

The changes already made on her behalf are done. And I don’t feel we can really go back. And imo it hurt the game. She hurt the game. And…

it’s tragic.

14 Likes

I don’t see why you would get 404d for posting your player feedback. That is as long if you don’t insult others.

I for one don’t hate Mercy, but I do dislike some Mercy mains. In my opinion is Mercy quite overrated as a character in lore and in design, but some do seem to worship her like crazy, and Blizzard has no problem taking this to their advantage with their merchandise and advertisements.

Not to mention the way how some Mercy mains behave in the forums.

(In case you haven’t noticed yet, the keyword here is “some”.)

8 Likes

The man’s got a point.

I’m a staunch advocate for Mercy, always have been, but I found myself nodding along to every point on this list.

Mercy’s been making waves in the community since day one, and I can hardly blame anyone for burning out on how she’s always among the “current topics” for one reason or another.

6 Likes

I started to hate mercy when she was meta. I can’t tell you how many times I was reported for playing anything that wasn’t her. Mercy mains are kinda annoying to me. They act like she’s treated the worst when she’s easily the most popular support and gets better treatment compared to others. Didn’t she get a pink skin, owl skin, like geez I wish my main was that popular lol.

9 Likes

Exactly. Some mains of Mercy on these forums gave the hero and her mains in general a bad rep. With all the threads asking for reverts. The daily spam of Mercy thrads in general. Good god. And a certain movement didn’t really help with all that…Ahem.

Yes I know,the rework happened and it made Mercy very overpowered. I didn’t like her during that stage of the game’s life and I much preferred playing Ana. I wasn’t a fan of her during Mass Rez either. (I liked her character wise though. if that makes sense. I can’t say lore-wise,because. well. you know.) And when the 50HPS nerf rolled around,I really started enjoying her despite all the Forum Mercy Mains™ going on about how bad she was.

I remember a change on the PTR which never made it to live,where the devs first tried to give Mercy only a single rez. I think it was with no cast time,but even then a lot of Mercy mains complained and so it was changed to her having 2 instant Valk Rez charges.

And then I remember some threads asking for Mass Rez during the GOATs meta era. Like. Imagine that happening and tell me she wouldn’t have been a must pick.

But yeah,anyway,Mercy has received a lot of attention since the game came out,she got 2 special legendary skins as you said and a regular epic OWL one. But people still acted like she was neglected or something.

2 Likes

I really don’t see where exactly there is any racism in this. Moira is not designed to be a “pretty” character, so why would people think of her that way?
Sure Mercy is a cliché, but what is so horrible about that? The game is filled with it.

So it’s Mercys/the players fault for the direction the dev team took? You make it sound like Mercy is the reason why we now have off and main supports.

How is Moira, who has to damage enemies in order to heal a pure healer, but Mercy, who can do well without doing a single bit of damage but not be a pure healer?

Yeah cause there clearly aren’t one tricks for other characters…

okay now this is just BS, those characters weren’t reworked because Mercy got reworked, hell Symmetra was the first character to get a rework.
And not to mention, most Mercy players didn’t even want a rework, “#bringbackmassrez” wasn’t a thing for months for no reason.

Oh I thought you were grasping straws before, but here we go…

All in all, I think you have a few decent points, but some are just so ridiculous, like blaming the Mercy players for ruining the balance of the game, for creating off and main healers, for causing brig, for causing all the reworks of characters…

19 Likes

im triggered.

1 Like

I’m very surprised to see that you can understand my view. And I appreciate it.

And it’s not like I hold this against mercy on end. I think I’ve been pretty fair to her and her playerbases perspective of what is liked about her when commenting on other threads overall. And I don’t try to, silence her players either.

So yeah, I appreciate you, someone I know who loves mercy, seeing my perspective

2 Likes

I mean, saying that you blame Mercy for reworks of other characters, does sound you do hold this and everything bad that ever happened in the game against Mercy and her playerbase

2 Likes

Capitalism as it is, is designed to entice you. Fast food pays and pays to find new ways to make chips impossible to stop eating, to look and smell enticing, to draw you in.

If I’m a witch , I don’t blame you for coming to my house of candy.

It’s designed that way

Even if it’s not the intent. Capitalism, at it’s core, is designed to destroy itself. But that’s not it’s intent nor how far you should push it to function.

I don’t blame mercy for being popular. I don’t blame her players for liking her. And I don’t even blame the devs inherently. I think they wanted a popular hero, without knowing what it meant.

Because she kinda was?? The massive increase of her picks and win showed Blizz reworks CAN be good.

Yet they ignored everything that was negative about it.

So many Mercy players said it was a bad idea. It was broken. It felt more intune with a Total Mayhem style play than the actual gameplay.

But they kept saying it was a success and there were just some minor tweaks to make.

In fact how her’s was handled pretty much paved the way for how they reasoned with the other reworks. Avoiding the “unfun” factor as a point. Not mentioning how something was core to their kit. They surprisingly learned from that.

But that’s about all they learned.

4 Likes

I’m a Mercy main. We’ve conversed about her before. I often tend to disagree with what you write in Mercy posts, though I do appreciate that you’re always fair and moderate. I don’t agree with almost anything you wrote, though I do respect that this is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

That being said - thanks for writing this. It was an interesting read, and an illuminating and refreshing view into someone else’s mindset. I think the forums would benefit from more people clearly articulating their view points.

4 Likes

What the hell, it’s not like Mercy players asked for Mercy 2.0. In fact, for obvious reason they were the ones who were most vocally against it. Blaming them for it is beyond silly.

3 Likes

I know you well. I appreciate you taking the time to read through my view. Especially considering the salt.

As I stated , I considered mellowing it out, but I felt like …it would be disingenuous to the intent of the post. I’m not trying to hide my opinion, and I should stand by how I feel . So I appreciate the patience you had to read through when it’s a perspective you would obviously disagree with.

A plot twist. My kohai noticed me.

Thanks for the time you’ve given me and my salty tears

1 Like

I’m glad you didn’t. You would have been committing one of the worst literary crimes - making something boring in the interest of making it more palatable to some imaginary reader.

1 Like

she wouldn’t have been a must pick.

Mass Rez would reset team fights. This doesn’t mean much in OWL GOATs where the fight is often quickly lost if you lose one player.

Even if she WAS a must pick against GOATs, surely she would have pushed it out of meta? Mercy doesn’t have enough healing to keep up with GOATs (50hps or 60hps), she would have been picked purely to counter the comp.

And boom. GOATs gone.

But Mass Rez doesn’t counter GOATs.

i kinda dislike the ‘the original concept was so much better’ posturing people indulge themselves in as if it would’ve been an actual subversion of the trope and not the kind of cynical, self-aware twist on it that only serves as an excuse to keep doing it, sorta like Disney does princess jokes and acts woke so they can still sell their toys

Mercy still slipped through the cracks this time but if it makes you feel any better, its going to be less and less likely to happen in the future and you’ll get your way eventually

1 Like

Unlike meta commentary as done by Disney, I believe that the opposite effect is the intent of such a concept in the case of mercy.

As I stated, concept mercy imo goes more in line with the overall looks of counterculture in this game.

Meta commentary as done by Disney, imo is done as a pandering method to adhere to current self depreciation trends of the masses. The goal is to sell you one the idea of being counterculture but not actually make the viewer be uncomfortable. Making fun of how Belle isn’t feminist enough in the live action doesn’t make the viewer question what feminism is. Adding a Belle is a mechanic doesn’t add to the plot but instead checks off a feminist point needed for modern audiences

Compare this to concept mercy which was counterculture while still adhering to the stereotype. It makes you question what is the stereotype. Concept mercy is still soft featured, delicate, and bright. But it’s a man, with dark skin . If nothing changes about mercy save the look, you aren’t giving pandering commentary but actual commentary. by playing him, any issues you have have to point to your stereotypical ideas about healers and black men. Unlike pointing out how Belle s teaching a girl to read is actually a set up with no payoff- a legit critique, saying black men can’t heal or be Swiss, points to the negative stereotype and that’s it.

Or so I see it.

But I do appreciate your commentary on fake Disney pandering. They are evil and anyone who says so is great imo

3 Likes

i kind of understand your point that her being a black man would go against social norms and to be honest would be kind of cool.
But it’s not a good marketing strategy, Mercy is the most popular hero in google search rankings and i guarantee 90% of that is because of NSFW… And blizzard took advantage of that opportunity and jumped on it, you can’t blame a business for doing something that is good for business. and to be honest i don’t view that as important as the rest, her gameplay and everything around the hero broke more than her design
Otherwise… Pretty good thread!

2 Likes

Your first point is a bit weird, personally I am glad they went the direction they did with Mercy’s character design since I can’t imagine the skins for the original one would be cool at all.

I’m not sure why you are so insistent that people should enjoy Moira? Personally I find her really boring to play, I prefer single target healing since you have to worry about heal priority, she has an AoE spray, or an AoE ball which isn’t very interesting imo. Since the only utility she brings is killing high mobility, or killing low health people, I also don’t find this very interesting - you aren’t really having to think or plan how that is going to win the engagement. I get that people enjoy Moira, but just because you enjoy Moira doesn’t mean that everyone has to.

Ana was the first real high output healer that had an ult for attacking more so than defending, if you want to blame the “main”/“off” healer thing on anyone its probably Ana you should be crying at. Again not everyone who wanted to play support wanted to play Ana or Lucio back then, thats why they wanted Mercy to be seen as a viable support to play if you didn’t want to play Ana.

Mercy was also not even the first character reworked, the choice to rework characters seemed to be for different reasons for different characters. I’m pretty sure the Torb and Symm reworks were done to specifically make them more versatile and less niche since people liked to one trick them.

Brig was made to counter dive because the devs refused to nerf Tracer… untill they released Brig ._.;

3 Likes