[Feedback Thread Continued] Mercy Updates - Jan 30, 2018

But then as a smart dps player, I realize I can’t, so my only option is hope he dies fast.

They can’t. And so we haven’t got a single reply from dev team here.

Because except admitting failure, there is nothig to say - everything other will make them look ignorant or plain dumb.

Guess we have to wait untill they solve this puzzle out… :expressionless:.

2 Likes

The pay structure is similar to what you would get with real life Sports teams.

The Teams themselves are sponsored… and when they enter the tournament… if they win, not only do they get recorded down as the winners, they also get a prize pool.

For example… London Spitfire is owned by Jack Etienne who is the founder and CEO of Cloud9, so part of Cloud9’s funds would go into London Spitfire to start them up.

Social Media such as YouTube and Twitch would create venue for income then next would be doing interviews that may or may not be paid and then they would get sponsorship.

For example Cloud9 is sponsored by these companies:

Cloud9 Sponsorship
  • Loot Crate
  • Logitech
  • HTC
  • G2A
  • iBUYPOWER
  • ZOWIE
  • MSI
  • Intel
  • HyperX
  • Nvidia
  • Red Bull
  • LolClass
  • NEEDforSEAT USA
  • HK Army
  • Replay HUD
  • LoLwiz

London Spitfire is sponsored by Logitech G and whilst not on the team, Stylosa a.k.a Unit Lost is promoting them, he may or may not be paid to do so but his contribution would help with getting the team noticed and at the moment the team has a total earning of $100,000

The players themselves would have a earning through their own media channels, through streaming and sponsorship. Example Stylosa who is captain of the UK team is sponsored by Hyper X…

Bit off topic… but Linus Tech Tips did a pretty detailed break down of how his Tech review Channel makes their earnings for his company… likewise special effects artist FreddieW makes his earnings through merchandise, short videos and sponsorship… and made his own production company.

None. Most people don’t have the memory to go back to before August when the Mercy rework details finally came out. They don’t remeber that at the higher tiers Mercy was nearly non-existent except for the people abusing her badly tuned SR rewards and some very few select Mercy mains.

The don’t remeber that high mechanical heros were being shelved for Mercy at lower tiers because of a lack of choices for a main healer that didn’t have high mechanical requirements (Ana) and was why she littered the low tier games. They don’t remeber that the majority of why she was used was simply player limitations or because people WANTED to play her. She may have been frustrating to play against if you didn’t know how to play properly, but she was overall in a very healthy place compared to now.

6 Likes

You mean, OBTAINING RES? Like, AN ULT?
Yeah, i thought so.

3 Likes

Alright.
A lot of people still seems to think Mercy 1.0 gameplay was only about “hide and rez” so I’m going to explain you how I see the game (and every other game aswell) because in my opinion it is so logical I can’t even imagine how to not understand this concept.

Let’s talk about resources.
Every skill represents a resource. Overwatch is about using the resource you have in order to force your oponent to run out of their own resources so that you can win a fight, and then, the match.
There are different types of resources:

• Free to use (basically every left click/right click/passive and every ability that does not have any cooldwon)

• Cooldown based

• Ultimates

In general case Free to use < Cooldown based < Ultimates in terms of power and value you can get from it.

The whole point is trying to use the least resource possible to get the best benefits from it. Starting from there, your objective is to trade some of your resources against your oponents resources. Using a single resource to cancel what your ennemy does with 2 or more resources is a trade in your favor (actually it is a bit more complex because every resource does not have the same value, but we can still say using a not very powerful resource to counter a much powerful resource is a trade in your favor).

People are saying: “it is powerful/broken to deliberately let your teammates die then resurect them” which we can rephrase into “it is a trade in your favor to not use your hero’s free to use resources before using your ultimate resource”

Let’s examinate the 2 possibilities (sorry this might be long)

1. You are not using your free to use resources before using your ultimate

If you do not use your “free to use” resources (which is an unlimited source of resource) then you are not forcing your ennemy to use theirs to counter it.

Simple example: You are not healing Reinhardt who is fighting in a 1v1 against Winston. Assuming Winston is only left-clicking, Reinhardt suffers 60 dps.

2. You are using your free to use resources before using your ultimate

You are spending your unlimited type of resource which is forcing the ennemy to use more resources to get an advantage over you.

Again, same example: Reinhardt vs Winston.
Winson’s left click is completly canceled by your healing, meaning he will 100% loose this fight if he doesn’t use any other resource. => You are forcing him to use something if he doesn’t want to die.

Then, refusing to heal your teammates before resurecting is a bad way to play.
It will be easier for your oponents to win the fight than if you were healing meaning they might not be forced to use their ultimates. Ultimates they have saved as a resource to counter your ultimate resource when you will use it.

Here’s a quick example of a teamfight thinking about resources:
Both teams have charged up all their ultimates. The fight is going to engage.
Assuming free to use resources from team A perfectly counters free to use resources from team B. Same for cooldown based.

1. Mercy from team A decides to go for hiding and wait until her team dies.
Team A is left 5v6 and their free to use + cooldown based resources no longer perfectly cancels the ones of team B.
The fight ends up by team A loosing the fight after using 4 ult vs team B using only 3 ults (noone died from team B).
Mercy comes and uses her ultimate to reset a new fight and now team A has 1 ultimate left, against 3 for team B. Now free to use + cooldown based resources are equal for both teams.
Who wins ?

2. Mercy from team A decides to take part to the fight.
As free to use resources + cooldown based perfectly cancels itselves, the outcome of the fight will depend on how each team uses their ultimates.
Victory is possible for both teams.

People saying “hide and rez” is broken are basically saying team B uses 6 ults to win the fight against only 5 people. But in fact their regular abilities are enough to get an advantage over team A. And when team A uses their ults to try to change the issue of the fight in their favor, team B only has to use as much ultimates as team A did to counter it.

[Sorry for the huge post, I wanted to be as clear as possible so I detailled everything.]

TL; DR
"Hide and rez" strategy is only viable against poor teamworking, as mentionned a billion times.

#Revert Mercy

7 Likes

It’s stupid that some people think Mercy shouldn’t hide. You hear a Junkrat tire are you going to stay in the middle of the map waiting to get killed? I would hide obviously with or without mass ressurect. Isn’t it obvious? Even in live I hide when I hear a McCree ultimate or another one, if someone dies I will ressurect. This is so obvious and still people think this hide and seek. Non sense

6 Likes

That doesn’t make any sense.

If you realize you can’t make it out alive then sure by all means try and get yourself killed. But that’s where Mercy had counterplay, teammates could even make Resurrect detrimental to use because it was very situational based and had ALOT of different things you needed to take into account when holding such power. Making it a little bit harder to execute would’ve increased the skill ceiling between all tiers of play something that is lacking with the current Live version of Mercy.

You can quote a very small part of any post, and people can expand the quote anytime they want to read the full post. This is very useful to point out key stuff while not cutting context.

For instance, I think the post you want to point out is this one:

1 Like

Yeah, they are referring to MY idea. I shouldn’t have to repeat myself over and over again with how I would’ve liked to change Mass Resurrect. But yeah the post that they are referring too is the one that I posted just for the FYI! :slight_smile:

With LOS requirement AND cast time maybe it would have been fine?
But it was kind of annoying to use already, and I like flying.

I truly get that, and as you would see if you looked at my posts in this very thread I acknowledged that was the proper way to mitigate Resurrection. Not counter it, mitigate it.

You cannot count the actual ability. You can counter the people brought back by it, you can counter Mercy casting it by killing her before she can use it, you can discourage it from being used by spreading out your kills and staggering the kills, but none of those directly counter Rez.

I really don’t know how to explain it any more clearly. Countering Rip Tire includes shooting it to destroy the Tire and stop the ability, using a barrier to block its damage, or Sound Barrier to block the damage. Countering Pulse bomb includes eating it with D.Va, using a Zarya bubble to absorb the damage on whomever is stuck, use Fade as Reaper or Moira, or Sound Barrier. I did not include Fortify as Orisa or Breather as Hog or any other damage mitigation tactics to help live through it because it doesn’t negate the impact of the ult on someone’s health pool; those are tactics to mitigate the ultimate, not counter it.

Again, there is no countering Rez when you really look at it. You can’t prevent it from being able to be cast other than by killing Mercy so she can’t use it, but she’ll just use it the next time an opportunity presents itself. Once the ability starts you can’t stop it from bringing that person back. Once it ends, the only way you can mitigate it’s impact is by rekilling the person(s) brought back.

The best way to discourage Rez is to have a character that Mercy knows can ult and rewipe everyone she brings back, but then the enemy team needs to spend the ultimates/abilities to kill the team, Mercy uses Rez, and forces the other team to use another ult to re-wipe who Mercy brought back. She punishes the enemy team by draining their economy and their options for play making just by existing because there needs to be a way to mitigate the effects of Rez.

Keep in mind this is coming from someone who is an immense fan of Mercy, and who loved Mercy 1.0 because I loved the mind games and playing around what was available. If the enemy team had a Mercy I was stoked because it meant there would be more mind games and strategy in the ability and ult economy to take into consideration. When playing a DPS or Tank and seeing an enemy Mercy I was thrilled because it meant I had to be wise about how I played. When I had a friendly Mercy I was thrilled because it gave us flexibility. When the enemy team got a Rez off, the one and only thing that disappointed me was that we failed to do our jobs properly leading up to the play and for that we were getting punished for it and there was no way to stop that from happening once it started. That was the only part that wasn’t ideal: “No way to stop it once it started” and every play up to that point that could have stopped it from happening was either tactical discouragement or kill Mercy first.

So again, I say once more, there was no counter for Resurrection. The only “counter” that exists now is kill Mercy for trying to use the ability and the only reason it’s a counter is because Blizzard made it the single ability that has a cooldown timer that persists through death in order to force it to be a half baked counter.

From the looks of it, they want Rez to literally be feast or famine in the sense that you either succeed or you die and your team is now down 2 members and inevitably going to get rolled or staggered hard without one of the healers. Basically Resurrection is being actively balanced so that using it means you are either saving someone a walk back, or you’re throwing by pressing E.

1 Like

That means you were playing her wrong and passively. More rezzes aren’t equal to better results at all. Usually the best way to use it was for only 2-3 man with no hiding game play.

I wouldn’t mind if Blizz decide to keep some kind of flight mechanic, but as an E ability, not an ultimate anymore because that’s pointless for being an ultimate. Flying is only a tool for doing your work supposedly better, it’s not really impactful and of course it’s not unique at all (that’s a Pharah’s thing).

Yes, that was it. Thanks.

Me? Passively?
I even had a positive kd ratio with Mercy.

On the other hand you are still missing the context.
You can rez someone, at the cost of someone else dying 3s later, or hoping that guy dies fast to rez 2, or not even try to rez.
Pick.
Hint: Only the seccond one has a chance to be useful.

If you are saying that the only way you could play with mass rez was stopping healing for letting your teammates to die and get a bigger rez, that’s passive game style, sorry.

I used Resurrect tons of times, and I only used it twice for a huge rez (4 man, not even a 5 man rez), and guess what? My team lose those two games. First one, because I won the point, okay, but it was King’s Cross, so the match wasn’t ended at all. They just defended well and my teammates couldn’t pierce that defense pushing the payload. And the second one? I was coming from respawn after dying and as I saw my team down on the point I tried a rez as my last try. Sadly, my team was too splitted and my tank (Rein) didn’t protect us well, so the enemy team killed us all one by one without using a single ult.

However, I won a lot of games where I didn’t let a single teammate to die if I could, being all the time in the mid of the fight, moving (“flying”) around with GA all the time and no resting a single second. In fact I had one game where the only one who died in my team was me because my dear Mei locked me with a wall alone with the entire enemy team. I won 11 votes that game.

Finally, about your point, that was the Mercy’s mind game and that was why old rez was so thrilling to play. You had to decide how your team would be able to fight and if you could or not wait. Just an example. My first 4 man rez. I failed to rez Soldier. Why? Pharah came from the nothing, killed our Pharah and ulted. I was with my team but she didn’t bother to focus me, so I run away and waited to see how many people I could rez. Soldier took too many time and the enemy Zenyatta was attacking me, so I used my ult and let Soldier come back running. As a result, we won that fight and I won my “cute” achievement without exploiting the SR system. I saved that highlight, and the more I see it the more I’m convinced I did it right.

P.S.: I’m not sure if you are talking now about pre nerf Resurrect. I have never talked about it in my last posts, I was talking about it as an ultimate because I think Resurrect should have never been turned into an E ability because that has encouraged bad suicidal and unskilled game, because you have an “undo button”.

3 Likes

…bit different trying to shoot a speedy Valkyrie swooping to insta-res vs current 1.5 second channeling…

Dumb post is dumb…

A friend of mine quit OW for a similar reason, the heavy handed nerfs have removed enough of the fun factor that they no longer wanted to deal with this big swingy yo-yo of changes.

2 Likes

We put in here NUMEROUS timed that a counter could have been put in for Mercy 1.5 so once again I’ll put it out so that you can see.

1 second cast time, IF successful then get temp invulnerability and Rez people.

That and fixing the SR abuse (which was done just before the Rework went live), along with maybe LOS, would have mitigated the need for the Rework in the first place. But the developers went ahead with the Rework even though even Mercy players said that it was WAY Over Powered.

But with the current 1.75 second cast time, Mercy players are sitting ducks.

5 Likes

This is one of the most accurate summaries of the current problems with Mercy on this forum.

3 Likes

Doesn’t mean that she couldn’t have an E ability that gave her the ability to fly.

Idea 1:
This would’ve been a super cool idea for Mercy kind of like an alternate to Mercy’s Valkyrie, So she has the ability to fly and “watch over you,” during the battle but she has a 20M ring that will act as a blind against any enemy hero that is inside the ring.

Idea 2:
Her beams don’t chain heal/DMB allies around her main beam target once she activates her Valkyrie. She still gets to fly etc. Instead of giving just Health/DMB they will also give an AOE buff. Targets that come within a 10M radius of the main beam target (Healing) will be blinded until they leave the 10M radius around the ally. For her (DMB) Main target beam left click damage/Ability damage will send out sparked AOE damage to surrounding enemies that are near the targeted enemy hero small tick damage maybe like 5 damage per shot.

All AOE buffs won’t stack by quickly switching from hero to hero.

• A 1 second delay (AOE buff will stay on the initial target still) between targets before the AOE buff gets switched to the new hero.
  • No delay when switching to Healing/DMB on the same target

This would be a super cool and a great interactive option for Mercy players to use whenever they feel fit.

• Valkyrie will last 5 seconds on a 15-second cooldown.

Resurrect needs to be brought back to her ultimate.

• 1 Sec cast time works the same as Lucio’s ultimate does
  • LOS Requirement
  • Blockable by barriers

That’s how I picture Mercy. Engaging. Check. Fun. Check. Counterable. Also, Check.