What exactly is “Hide n Res”

Its probably a bit of exaggeration on both sides.
Memory’s change afterall.
We will change our memory to fit whatever narrative we want.

1 Like

So basically the first one.

The second one doesn’t talk about hiding behind anything. It’s literally just keeping out of range for certain ultimates.

If you activity disengage from the fight, stop healing/boosting while a ultimate wipes the team, then you swoop in.
That’s kinda the same thing regardless of if you went behind a wall or not. You still abandon your team.

What do consider Quest’s reddit post to be?

Well the example I gave, you can still heal your allies and what not because the beam range is longer than the gravs radius.

You know, I can make excuses for people who claim the first one, that could be annoying

But the second one ? What do ya’ll expect ? For people to stand still, close their eyes and welcome the sweet embrace of death ?

1 Like

Then no if you are still participating in the fight.
As soon as you stop, that’s an issue.
But lets be real, thats not what happened most the time and is not what was encouraged by the design of the ability.

Also, Quest’s link is just of some Mercy main claiming the “Hide n Res” strategy was the way to play Mercy when they literally said somewhere underneath the video that the enemy team uses all their ultimates to wipe, then go for the big res… Any competent team can walk through a 1v1 without expending ultimates unless you need to counter an ultimate with an ultimate. With this mind, the strategy was basically garbage as he proves that th e only way for it to work is for you to be up against bad teammates.

Its more so the concept of an ability that encourages you to disengage from the fight than anything else.
No other hero has that.

Reaper, McCree, Tracer… the list goes on. Honestly thing it’s a double standard. Tracer’s ultimate encourages players to hide behind enemy teams then ult but when Mercy’s ult partially encourages hiding (and or just playing defensively) it suddenly needs to get reworked…

I dont like xQc but he puts it better in:

I’ve added the timestamp to the URL, but its 18:05
Its defiantly not a double standard, they are totally different.
Its more to do with Mercy with valk but the point still stands with Mass Res. It takes significantly “fewer”/“less skill” than DPS ultimates.
(I am not a DPS main!)

Also keep in mind…opinions.
No one is wrong here.

So it all comes down to which one is more skillful… Okay then, with that in mind you are very well correct not that that’s a good thing…

Edit: Doesn’t Valk Resurrect have a 1.75 second cast time which then means that it is now as risky as DPS ultimates? Also, what he said doesn’t apply to Tracer as a Tracer can just hide, blink in from back lines, ult and then rewind…

DPS players which say “HideNRes” mean the second. (which is not hidenres tbh but w/e)
The first one is what hide and res is. Getting your ult and going behind cover till your teams die. Which is NOT THE SAME as playing defensively

2 Likes

The actual “Hide-and-Res” was a terrible strategy used by bad Mercy’s where they hid away from the fight for a long period of time and allowed their team to die so they could rez through the wall aand et a large multirez to abuse the SR system.

The “hide-and-rez” that the majority of players really complain about though was good Mercy players staying with their team until the moment they predict the enemy will use a deadly ultimate, in which the Mercy will take temporary cover to avoid getting caught in the ultimate so that she can survive to rex her team afterwards.

TL;DR: “Hide-and-Res” was a problem only among the bad Mercy’s, and could have been completely negated by adding a LoS requirement to her Rez, and the majority of players that complain about “hide-and-rez” are really complaining about a perfectly valid strategy revolving around predicting enemy ult use and standing a little out of the way.

2 Likes

Basically anytime I heard a Mercy say “die on the point” before.

Because that means she is officially not helping anymore and hiding until later

Weird, thought that was just a quicker way of saying, “Preferably die on point if you’re going to die so I can get the most out of my res rather than only getting just 1 res because everyone decides to split up”.

1 Like

It also usually meant “I’ve stopped supporting the team, brb” :open_mouth:

“Usually”

I think most can agree that my definition of “Die on point” is more sound and logically makes sense because why would you want your team to die on point when you can res those who unintentionally die therefore keeping up the tempo of the fight?

This argument makes no sense.

Sometimes you have to stop doing something to stay alive and continue doing your job.

Let’s consider this situation:
D.Va solo ults Ana who is away from her team.
Are you really expecting the Ana player to accept death for the sake of healing her team rather than hiding behind cover to stay alive and heal her team afterwards ?

Taking cover from threats shouldn’t be considered hiding. It should be considered as smart as waiting the perfect moment to ult.

Also, if you still think that hide’n rez was the one and only way to play Mercy:

"Hide and rez" VS playing properly

Also should be considered to be common sense :slight_smile: .

1 Like