How To "Fix" the Constant Update Loop Bug

For those who hate having to deal with the “Update? Ha ha j/k!” bug (where it tries to update the game with a 137MB download every time you log on), the issue is with Bnet, not HotS. To “fix” it, DO NOT LAUNCH BATTLENET!

Go to the folder where you installed HotS, such as C:\ProgramFiles (x86)\Heroes of the Storm, find a sub-folder called “Support64”, and directly run “HeroesSwitcher_X64”.

That will launch HotS bypassing the bnet bug, although you will have to log in when it hits the authentication step. You should be able to switch regions when you log in, if you play on more than one server.

Edit: Did some more testing this morning with a friend, and the good news is the battlenet friends’ list still works correctly while in-game (I can see and invite them, they can see and invite me, etc). If you have your account linked to Discord, that is working too. The only thing I am “missing” are the stupid ads on the launcher!

18 Likes

Do you know if these “updates” actually make your folder bigger and bigger?

They make your folder smaller and smaller.

2 Likes

Thank you! I completely forgot you can create a shortcut to the executable itself. The launcher is useless.

1 Like

mil y un gracias, ya estaba harto de tener que esperar media o una hora para poder iniciar el juego, en algunas ocasiones simplemente elegía no jugar para no esperar todo ese tiempo, en verdad mil gracias

1 Like

I don’t believe they do, but regardless I have a slow internet connection, so that “update” was extremely annoying. I am just mad at myself it took too long to remember that trick!

1 Like

Oh my god bless your soul for that, thank you.

4 Likes

Just when you think blizzard can’t go any lower this happens. How long is the bug around? At least 2 weeks? Member when they made quality stuff and fixed things in less than a day and weren’t completely useless unable to fix simple stuff?

Still happening… it stopped for 2 days and its right bck… im gonna try this fix

1 Like

Thank you for this fix.

2 Likes

A big thank you Hoku. This fix didn’t work for me initially as it would reject my credentials. After the last patch this is no longer the case, so no silly patch loop anymore.

:+1:

2 Likes