Diablo IV Quarterly Update - Q4 December 2020

Hey all,

The final quarterly update for Diablo IV in 2020 is now now live! This is intended to be a dedicated thread for that purpose, and our developers will be prioritizing reviewing feedback or discussion here.

Please note that this is a dedicated thread intended for player discussion and we may not respond to or immediately answer questions in this thread at this time. We may consider questions or feedback here for future inclusion in Quarterly Updates, and look forward to reading your thoughts!

If youā€™d like to recap or revisit previous posts on the announcement or ongoing insights on Diablo IV development, you can see everything here:

54 Likes

Thanks for the update.

12 Likes

Thank you CM team. :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

7 Likes

This game is looking so good. Love the art style.

Thanks for the update!

23 Likes

I love the back to root and the modification in the skill tree.

16 Likes

nice ! looking forward to more updates . thank you team

5 Likes

Thanks for the update.
Helll yeeeaaa

5 Likes

In Diablo IV, you will be able to respec your skills and passives. The number of times you can do this will be unlimited, but it wonā€™t be free. It will be easy to do when you first start a character; as your character grows, the effort and cost required to respec will grow too. In the end-game, changing your build will require a significant investment, to appropriately match the time and effort youā€™ve put into defining your character.

Yeah, this just turned me off from this game. This is not valuing the players time and is endemic of a design philosophy at Blizzard. No one cares about meaningful choices and all that crap in an ARPG, we want big numbers and lots of loot. Shoving this extra waste of time down our throats like PoE does is just anti-player, imo.

26 Likes

Back to the Primary Stats.

21 Likes

Game looks great! I really hope there is crossplay/cross-save with this game. That would open the community up quite a bit. I would love to play on my buffed PC and be able to play with my family thatā€™s on consoles. Then cross save, being able to play wherever and whenever I want. No matter the device. On the couch with my console or at my desk on my PC. this is a dream of mine. I would be fine buying the game twice if that feature existed!

31 Likes

im sorry but this isnt diablo 4, not by a long shot, this is d3.5 with some stuff stolen from poe. sad days indeed for the franchise.

14 Likes

I agree. Respecing should have little cost. I strongly suspect that tbe developers willl iterate on the game after release where they change relative strength of things. In turn, players should be agile to respond to these changes by making their own modifications with little or no cost/time investment.

Furthermore, it is fun to switch up builds and breaks the monitony to play other builds within a class

18 Likes

Seeing the primary stat allocation making a return was a treat; although I was initially disappointed by what stats they improved as it meant that you would see characters putting points in the same stats. However seeing as they can be used to unlock additional talent and skill modifiers, thatā€™s a plus in my opinion.

Itemization is sounding pretty good, however I hope we get to see more examples of it later (probably Blizzconline along with perhaps the Druidā€™s class system and/or info regarding the two unannounced classes?).

That said, this update didnā€™t disappoint, and Iā€™ll be looking forward to future updates.

10 Likes

As someone that has played D2 for almost 20 years - I think you guys are hitting the nail on the head with itemization. The variability in rares and legendaries are going to be a huge deal - and even on Magic items, which were used to a higher degree in D2 for things like MF, +3 to a skill, etc. My only concern is how items will be tradable (if they will be at all). Iā€™ve always hated games that have account-bound or player-bound items. I hope that most items will be tradable in D4.

I think the respec feature is done really well too, and itā€™s a balanced perspective. People seem to forget that in D2, if you misclicked with ONE skill or stat point, that it was permanent until almost 10 years into the game when they added the Akara respec as part of the Den quest (and Tokens of Abs.). The idea that respecs will be ā€œmore expensiveā€ the stronger you get is a good balance to respecs in general. It makes it less of a headache for newer players that are experimenting and advancing through the game, and still allows experienced players to respec later on.

edit Ulthrakk has a great point that I didnā€™t think about: Items should be rare! In D3 legendaries and uniques were way too easy to get ahold of, and in D2 some of them were too difficult. We need a good middle-ground. It should feel very rewarding if you find a powerful unique.

71 Likes

Thanks for the update! Here are a few of my thoughts:

Love the idea of bringing back the allocation of skill and stat points; didnā€™t realize how much value this had until I didnā€™t have it. Further like the idea of some permanence to builds; getting attached to a character and the choices you make for it is an important part of the process, and it needs to be meaningful, whereas in D3 a character is essentially a shell for the items you find.

I am generally liking the item concept, but perhaps there are a few too many items types? Iā€™m sure weā€™ll have common (white) items, magic, rare, legendary, and Uniqueā€¦I guess I am concerned at what point in the game is it only about the last two, and how much proliferation there is in gear; D2 has some stuff that was near impossible to find, and that made hunting those items a real important part of your play. D3 went too quickly to everything is a legendary or set item, and they are abundant. I want those finds to be meaningful, and give me a reason to run something; I want to defeat a boss on the chance Iā€™ll find something rare, not more stuff to salvage, because legendaries become ubiquitous.

It is also really important to not level all items with the character level, although this is really a part of the rate at which we acquire better gear; if a legendary item drops and it is tied to your character level, it ceases to promote replayability the way items did in D2; when your level 78 Sorceress finds a few low level uniques, it can spur interest in rolling a different class to use that cool item. If it was tied to the sorcā€™s level, you have less interest because you canā€™t use it until you are at that high level as well.

Lastly, and it wasnā€™t really covered here, Iā€™m curious how difficulty levels will work. In D3, due to the way gear is acquired, power creep was so exponential that it forced multiple increases in difficulty; D3 has some 21 levels of difficulty, and that is just too many. Regardless of the name, Iā€™d like to see a return to a 3-4 tier design, where the challenge and payoff really culminate in that last one. The absolute best part of D2 was taking on Hell difficulty with the stuff you found, smart use of skills and crafting, and beating the game that way. I know for a lot of players on the realms it was more a matter of getting a lot of high end runewords, but single players were not afforded that accessibility (not a criticism, itā€™s just how the game worked) and thus had to make do, and it made for a very rewarding experience.

Thanks again for the update and looking forward to more news in the future.

41 Likes

Speak for yourself. I love it.

30 Likes

Thank you for listening to us. I love pretty much everything in this update. I think things are heading in the right direction now! Hyped for Blizzcon.

26 Likes

Oh noā€¦ no word of Set Items?! I love collecting sets :frowning:

7 Likes

Please get rid of gold and have more of a barter / multiple ā€˜functionalā€™ currencies. Like imagine D3 with no gold, and you could trade all the crafting mats (including bounty currency and the Uber boss currency). Gold ultimately becomes meaningless in diablo games after a certain point and I think PoE showed that there are cool alternatives to this. If you are going to have trading in the game then ultimately gold farming becomes an issue and you can get around this by just removing the game system.

1 Like