A bold approach on how the fights of diablo IV should be

Hello,

Please excuse my English. Here follows a small part of a very long text on how MY DIABLO IV could have been… I really wish for the devs of diablo IV to read this and open a dialog here discussing the pros and cons of my approach on the fights of the game. What you read here might sound pretty bold as a move at first but I honestly believe this could be something that could potentially change the way fights are played through in all other games of this genre. Enjoy.

3. Gameplay (full analysis)

"…Would love to be heard on this one. What is the most memorable, exciting, interesting moment for all hack & slash players in every hack & slash game that they play? When this is answered in the next lines here, we need to focus our aim on THAT - VERY - ASPECT in order to replicate it through out the game. So, the answer is that the most exciting moment for us players is always the start of the game. When we first exit the camp/town, we lift our sword/staff, we bring down that first zombie and we pick up our first loot. Same feeling accompanies us through out the first act of the game but then… it is somewhat lost.

These 4 things ( exit of camp, battle, loot, evolve) are the essence of what hack & slash IS but wait, let’s have an even closer look of what is happening here.

• The exit of camp/town: Player embarks into the unknown UNPREPARED! I cannot stress this enough. Player does not know where he’s at and he doesn’t know what to expect while knowing that he’s unprepared. He’s merely a mortal against an abominable universe. This feeling must be justified every time a player moves to a new chapter or even territory!

• The fight (hacking & slashing enemies): Listen to what I’m about to say here, I need your attention. Hack & slash games being what they are now, after playing a short while make the battles feel trivial. There where times where I caught myself falling asleep through out my fights while grinding for gear. Fights as they are now tend to loose interest as the game progresses. So we need to study what we find so interesting in our first kill of that zombie that we do not feel again further in game.

• It is the strikes that our hero takes on the first enemies. They count so much! Each strike, the chopping sound, the gore on the enemy, the loss of the enemies life as seen in the enemies health bar and finally the demise of the enemy, the blood and guts spilled on the ground. This is something that is lost further in, as the game progresses. Players have no time to digest what is actually happening. It all becomes trivial. But what if! What if we made every battle count? What if encountering every band of enemies had a slower pace of battle? A more realistic approach of what would actually happened if such battles took place? A battle where the very SENSES of the player could have the time to digest what is actually happening, to keep him on his toes while acquiring him to use his intellect in order to make his moves more efficient, decreasing the danger of being wounded or ending up dead. A battle where maybe the player could click on enemy body parts like arms, legs and head? Each enemy being vulnerable in specific parts? The satisfaction of an actual decapitation, a player’s choice of finishing a demon with a one click sudden death! The vengeance of a player on a succubus by cutting off her limbs by choice letting her bleed to death, crawling. While such approach on the actual fight might not allow for vast legions of enemies attacking the player all at the same time, it for sure adds value on the fight it self! But then again, in a real battle, who has time to aim on certain parts of an enemy’s body when attacked by multiple enemies at the same time? Think about it. Think about the realism here. Could be pioneering for the genre, something that blizzard should be entitled to introduce first to the market! Think about the weapon attribute adjustments and how they can now take a new turn, think about the enemy attributes as the armors they wear and the body parts they cover, now adds new strengths and weaknesses for the player to study and use in battle in order to efficiently eliminate each unique enemy…"

Wrong forum.
This forum is for D3 technical issue.
You should use the offical main thread for D4: Diablo IV Quarterly Update - Q4 December 2020

1 Like

My apologies. Unfortunately it won’t let me post in any forum for some reason. “New topic” button is generally inactive everywhere except when on the screen where you’re to choose one of the main title forum tabs such as general discussion etc. Any suggestions?

Don’t find any PC profile of yours. I assume you are console player. Then you can post on Console Discussion forum.

Oh, might be an issue because I use a mac?

The forum open only to players with full D3 license. I suppose you have one.

No different for PC and Mac. Perhaps you are not logging in with the account (email address) you used to login D3. Try again with the correct account.

You are 100% right. I used to play diablo III but it was under my brother’s email, I’ve totally forgotten that! Maskraider ftw! thanks!