D4 Respec Concept

You’re not playing a game you hate for 500 hours, period. Frankly, the only people playing games they don’t really like should be reviewers, and not only do they rarely put in more than 10 hours before writing their result, it’s not difficult to discern biases, either.

It’s the cumulative time wasting aspect to achieve that end goal of “people sticking with a build” you guys are selfishly championing. A single game with the NV buff isn’t so bad. When you’ve played 50 and 500-1000 minutes are tied into prep, it suddenly starts looking like the argument that farming coins should take hours/days/weeks (depending on player schedule).

I think that there are some here that do not fully appreciate the psychology of loss aversion. Free respecs are important because of this.

Also, it is easy to make a rule witb punitive consequences if you know the rule will not apply to yourself. It is easy to say respec costs should be high if you yourself never respec.

1 Like

I find it more interesting to respec freely to experiment with new builds using new items that I acquire.

1 Like

I think its hilariously ironic that you’re pointing this out. In THIS thread? sure its maybe skewed in favor of free-respecs out of 9 people. But the FORUM as a WHOLE? Most players agree with respec costs and this is proven by looking at the quarterly updates and the comment likes ratios:

The top comment saying they demand free-respecs or no sale has less than 10 likes. The comment-reply disagreeing has 23 likes and the top comment praising the respec cost has almost 60 likes.

Obviously this doesn’t consider non-forum users. its safe say more hardcore-type fans use the forums VS the average player and will actually comment/like things. so MOST hardcore fans WANT respec-costs, a reality you’ll be forced to live with. None of us are sorry about that.

note: “hardcore” referring to people who are the biggest fans, not HC the game mode

1 Like

Could you please link a post that specifically deals only with respecs saying that is a good idea that has 20 or more likes?

The top comment that you claim has almost 60 likes deals with multiple topics:

As you can see from the smidgen of quote that you can see linked, there is nothing about respec costs in the first few sentences. The comments about respecs are part of the 2nd paragraph of the 3 paragraph quote. I would not assume that alll the likes are due to only posters favoring respec costs.

you linked it yourself, thanks. and we’ve discussed this before, people don’t “like” comments, especially big ones, unless they whole-heartedly agree with EVERYTHING the comment says. Meaning those 60 likes are pro respec-cost, nice try tho bud. zero chance anyone anti-respec-cost would like that comment if they didn’t agree.

the disagreement reply to the top comment in favor of free-respecs also has over double the likes:

hmmm, are people liking this comment not clear enough? :thinking:

I have liked posts where I disagree with certain aspects. A like does not mean “love everything”. I have made posts that have received a multitude of likes, it does not mean that everyone whole-heartedly agree with everyone that I wrote. I am not that naive.

the reply has over double the likes that only says “speak for yourself, i love it.”. even if you were remotely correct, this one comment alone proves my point. more than double the people are in favor of respec-costs. at least the more die-hard fans that frequent the forums. Since that was the original argument i was replying to.

No. It means of people who read those particular posts and decided to comment by clicking like there was a bias.

This may or may not be representative of the players as a whole.

Also, I will note that the post that wrote: “speak for yourself, i love it.” did not even quote the post it replied to.

that wasn’t the argument. nice try. lol. re-read what i said. i literally also pointed out that it doesn’t consider non-forum users. stop using strawmans, its getting old.

and read that particular thread and those particular posts and then decided it was worth clicking like.

There are more than 2,000 people who are trust level 2 on these forums. The number of likes is completely miniscule in comparison.

Also, you may want to see what a strawman argument is. It appears to me that you are misusing this term:

https://effectiviology.com/straw-man-arguments-recognize-counter-use/

Stop it
No respecs are bad
Free respecs are bad
Respecs with reasonable costs are a good middle ground and blizz knows that
They have tried both extremes and now they will nail it right

1 Like

What do you consider reasonable cost?

Also, why do you care so passionately, since you plan your builds out in advance and do not plan on using respecs at all? If respecs are free or require 50 hours of farming, or $19.99, it does not impact you.

I want the game to be a good RPG and not an arcade cookie cutter
I think they will balance it just right
Probably still too cheap but I will grant you that :wink:

1 Like

What do you consider the right cost for respecing a build at endgame?

I don’t know the economy
I dont even know what kind of currency you will use for that
But probably like an hour of hardcore farming just for that specific thing?

If it is only an hour of farming to respec a build at end game, I would not like it but it would not be catastrophically bad. I suspect that the people here supporting high respec costs will not be happy with how little time investment that you propose.

I think we can move you to a supporter of low respec costs.

For perspective, to augment a single piece of gear with a level 100 gem in D3 takes an hour (20 runs @ 3 minutes each @ 5 100% upgrades per run).

Certainly not that I’m aware (remarking the “that I’m aware” part).

I can agree that people asked for respecs for so long, but haven’t heard about free ones until post-D3. Sure some dudes could have asked back then, but not enough to even be heard.

According to that logic, I can also say that people also asks for Diablo having guns…

~700 posts later and the OP still hasn’t received a single :heartpulse:

Tells me all I need to know. TL;DR.

Which does not mean 500 hours turn it into a good game. The world is not black or white.
Once again, you can’t measure quality in hours spend. Devs love to do that, and some people around here do too. But it says basically nothing.

Literally nobody is arguing you should farm a buff each session. Just a strawman. The entire goal of respec limitations is to not make you farm for it. While allowing you to respec “naturally” at a reasonable cost once in a while.
If you then want to respec more often, you either are stopped outright (with a cooldown) or stopped indirectly with a friendly nudge, through an increasingly prohibiting respec cost.

Unlike the NV buff you are not meant to go do some side activity before you can move on with your gameplay.

Oh the irony. People are apparently capable of liking a post without agreeing with everything (which is completely true), whereas everyone who bought D3 apparently agree wholeheartedly with free respecs.

It is again not the time investment that is the issue, but you are right. One hour of farming would be way too little. Assuming you are generating this currency from normal play that would allow for many respecs weekly, for basically free.

Now, if said currency has other major uses, then things might be different, but the topic of respec cost sharing a currency with other stuff was already discussed a few posts ago.
Both benefits and detriments to that imo.