Would you rather level quickly or through story?

I would rather have the preLegion no scaling non squish world back, but since I can’t have that then I’d prefer leveling to be quick since the world is trash now :slight_smile:

(Leveling is quick Kaurmine?)

No, QUICK :rofl:

With the game’s current design: Quickly

If the story was actually well written and had better presentation, then I wouldn’t mind leveling slowly. Unfortunately, every quest is just a text dump where dozens of lines of text are stuffed into a single window. Then all the cutscenes are either cinematics which clash with the game’s graphics or they’re just NPC’s standing around with text bubbles over their head as a badly-acted recording plays. It doesn’t help that the cutscenes and dialogue are all unpausable, so you need to give your full attention to the game the entire time or you’ll miss out on what little story there is. If they’re going to try a story-heavy expansion again, they need to invest in writers and in an actual dialogue system to break the walls of text into short, easily-digestible snippets.

1 Like

I only level alts if the overall content is fun. Slow leveling, fast leveling, whatever, but the rest of the content needs to be fun and I need to be connected to the storyline.

They burnt the tree and I immediately lost interest in everything. None of my characters, Horde or Alliance, fit with any scenario concerning that or the crap that’s since followed. I don’t care about the stupid HvA war, I don’t care about some death plane and their stupid Eternals who are absolute morons.

I leveled over 30 alts in Legion to max. In BfA, I had three max level characters. In Shadowlands, I have two, one I don’t even play.

2 Likes

Wow! I kinda just blow past those - especially if there’s fifty million replies - always just looks like a high drama thread to avoid. Didn’t mean to inadvertently create another one.

Story!!! With option for a faster level process with alts.

I’d be happy for the end game only type players being able to skip leveling altogether. But, I love long chain quests and story that connects to each area.

2 Likes

It’s the answer to your question, though: People want to level quickly.

1 Like

This!!!

You had me at:

I read all of the time- but I don’t think that the best parts of a game world’s writing should be outside of the game!

1 Like

If the story was different enough I would prefer to level through Story.
For example:
If you look at SWTOR they had separate storylines for each class and those stories could be different if you chose light side or dark side. They also had romance options added for even more divergence.

Oh heavens. So, the option to level faster was taken away from those that wanted it? Is there an emoji for scratching head in confusion.

I prefer Story, and even in BFA I think blizz did a good job of delivering fun leveling with a bit of story in there.

Where blizz missed a step or what they haven’t really ever planned for is when I’m leveling 4th, 5th, 10th alt. And that is absolutely a self inflicted wound, but sue me: I wanna at least casually try most specs in the game, they’re fun.

That’s where things like Korraks or the short-lived tw exp thing come into play, dunno how this could be part of the design though…

1 Like

I think some do, but not all. I’m also starting to think this is actually the root cause of all the division between players and not understanding what a casual story player, rpg player, pvp player, and highend player need to understand about each other. That might lead to a cohesive voice that might be heard.

1 Like

Yikes! People have time to do that!?

Lol!!! I can see the attraction though.

Unpopular opinion but make it difficult and challenging like vanilla WoW leveling. You actually had to think and try. Now it’s just a quick brain dead activity. Allow early mounts sure but maintain the pace and difficulty of vanilla WoW.

That’s just Classic.

It’s a nasty habit that I picked up in WoD, when there wasn’t anything else for me to do. Then Legion incentivized this with order halls, and well…I’ve been benching toons since BFA, probably for the best, but I still feel the impulse to cap one of everything, you know?

I would rather play through a story that immerses me into an adventure and allows me to fully suspend my disbelief without any effort and just enjoy the world.

An MMORPG, to me, should be an RPG first, and an MMO second. It should be about the RPG, about the story, and the world, and your journey through it, with friends you meet in-game or bring with your from the real world.

If people only want to do the dungeons and raids and PvP that’s fine and that should be an option for them… but the main focus of an MMORPG, for me, should be about immersing you in the world.

If you complete a story in an MMORPG and your first thought is about the XP you got, or your character level then the Story Writers and Game Designers have failed in my opinion.

You should end the story thinking about what you just experienced, about the story and how it made you feel and what your character should be doing next, and then be pleasantly surprised at your level or experience at the end of that story.

2 Likes

Depends, if there is scaling where I get weaker as I level the faster the better because that is not fun. But If I progress in power as I level, gain new abilities a nice long good story would be awesome.

WoD is the only time I leveled alts. Those alts are still mostly at the cap of WoD.

I did it because I could spam dungeons and be max level in 6 hours or less.

The second this stopped, I stopped leveling alts.

Answer: Definitely quicker.

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Well, with two of mine…maybe a third /grin