Would you rather level quickly or through story?

For an expansion that is meant to last 1.5 years or more, it is absurd that the leveling process takes less than a week. Especially when you consider how much dev team effort goes into leveling-focused content.

1 Like

How so? FFXIV has an original and epic story that has never been done. They exist, they just haven’t been thought of.

They didn’t put any real effort into the leveling process.

1 Like

I think most people are going to fall into the camp as others have said above of “main through the story, alts really fast.”

It’s the same for progression after that too. (Like how we have the option to skip the first chapters of the covenant campaign story and the chains of domination campaign story on alts).

On the main, yes, I am invested in the story, read all the text, do everything from start to finish.

Alts, no, the new Threads of Fate is a good system. I don’t even like to dungeon-hop when leveling, as the guides said that Thread-leveling was dungeon-reliant, but I got along well-enough doing WQs, the big % quests in each zone, and some random pvp bgs.

1 Like

Me too - though I do love a well told story, getting gear along the side, but I’m not a highend kinda girl

Story. That’s the reason I haven’t logged in since April.

Absolutely. -… one day I won’t be afraid to pvp though

1 Like

The waterwalking thing was dumb.

But for leveling, you can’t pin the blame purely on the dev team.

There are people CONSTANTLY posting here that leveling is too fast and needs to get slowed down. They’ve been doing it for years.

I go into every one of those threads I find and tell them they’re full of it. That if they want leveling to be slower, they should take off some gear and/or stop logging out in rested XP areas.

And when that whole thing exploded this week over timewalking, all I kept thinking was “Where the hell were all of YOU people the last few years when idiots kept posting that leveling was too fast? Because I feel like just a few of us have been fighting against that battle all by ourselves.”

It’s very important that stupid ideas get shut down en masse, here. “Leveling should be slow” is a stupid idea, but it gets very little pushback. It’s infuriating.

1 Like

Ease yourself in by just queueing for the epic BGs, you’ll have more fun being 1 of 40, than the pressure of being 1 of 10 or 15.

I’m sorry, I didn’t know there was that many idiots. Uh? I’m kinda slow on the uptake. You’ll have to pardon my ignorance.

I personally prefer story, but I think most people would start complaining if they had to do it with more than one character. So, that’s the problem, I think.

On the surface, I thought Threads of Fate would be a good idea as an alternative after the first time, and I think it could have. I just think it was implemented poorly.

1 Like

im fine with longer quest lines. not necessarily longer leveling. let me get max level and start knocking out the end game stuff. if they want to continue the quest line for months (not meaning timegated) then im cool with that.

im going to need faster leveling for alts though. like, no quests for alts lol.

1 Like

As long as there’s new story, I’ll always take that path. So far I’ve been able to level three 60s without having to repeat the same path, but I think I’m running out of options to keep it new, so after this I’ll just try to take a quicker route.

In some expansions I’ve been able to supplement the story in game with books to get a better appreciation of things. Cataclysm was like that. The in game path was on rails, but the quality of outside material, especially from Christie Golden, and Richard Knaak kept me riveted to the story.

1 Like

Anybody who thinks leveling should be slower should go set foot in one of those threads from this week where they’re frothing at the mouth with rage over the timewalking XP fix.

Go and convince them that leveling is too fast. If you can.

You had me at:

1 Like

I want the freedom to choose. No MMO story is interesting after going through it again and again.

2 Likes

I’ll have to search them out. This was the first time was finally going to figure out how that timewalking works. Not sure which thread. Can you tell me what one is titled?

I play for endgame so i’d rather skip levelling altogether

Its a major inconvenience for me and generally the reason why i don’t have alts. I have a 35 resto druid i really wanted to try in pvp but i don’t have the energy to sit through quests and dungeons so i’m likely never going to try druid at max level

I think this would be a good way to to keep the casual story follower, the RPGS, and highend players happy.

2 Likes