The forum still allow sock puppeting

Why do these forums fully allow sockpuppeting without any notification or warning after so long? Most free forum software doesnt allow it yet you guys pay for this software and discourse seems to have no inclination to fix it.

I’m aware that (its seems hit or miss) that burying with alts is punished… but wouldn’t disabling that make less work for the mods? Would adding a notification that a person is being disingenuous or upvoting themselves curb that behaviour?

1 Like

What that sexy orc whom i don’t know stated.

(User has previously posted on eretloc on this thread)
(User has upvoted thier own alt)
^^^^^^^
It would be that simple

Welcome to Customer Support, not to be confused with Customer Service. This forum is one for players to assist other players. While our SFAs are pretty rad, they tend to focus on this particular forum - not the whole of this site.

This isn’t the place to make suggestions or offer feedback, nor are our SFAs the ones who make the decisions about how things are run or what you’re searching for. These things are allowed because The Powers That Be have allowed them to be. You can post your thoughts on the matter on GD or offer your thoughts/suggestions/feedback through the in-game suggestion tool. The only other place that might be ideal is the Website Bug forum, since there really isn’t anything else particular to a Forum Support area?

4 Likes

WoW has an RP element to it, and allowing people to post with alts helps foster RP’ing.

It’s been stated before by a blue that “sockpuppeting” is very uncommon and the community’s perception of people who they think are “sockpuppeting” is skewed.

2 Likes

I’m going to try to provide a bit of clarity here on a few things.

The normal functionality of the forums allow for a single user to post from an account. This is how all of our other game forums work (i.e. Overwatch, StarCraft, Diablo, etc…). That is the original functionality.

The World of Warcraft forums have always allowed player to post using their characters, showing their class, realm, link to their achievements and experience, etc… When we were switching to a new forum system we wanted to retain that functionality, because that is how it has always worked. Unfortunately, the default functionality of the system did not allow for it, so some tweaks needed to be made to allow it for WoW.

It works, but there are limitations in it that has been less than stellar.

That has provided feedback both internally and externally, which will eventually see some changes to help resolve those issues. It is not a simple task though, it takes time.

That simply isn’t true. Our Moderation staff keeps an eye out for this behavior, and those verified to be sockpuppeting have been warned against the behavior and even penalized. Does it happen 100% of the time? No, but our staff does what it can as it is reported and verified.

As I mentioned, it is not a simple task. It’s not something you just toggle on or off. It requires a good deal of work to rewrite what amounts to base functionality.

Just to clarify, because I see my quote from when I talked about this subject used here and there. Sockpuppeting does happen, it isn’t very common, but it isn’t extremely rare either.

What my comment previously on this subject was indicating was that in many of the cases that I’ve looked into, the people accusing others of being alts of X or Y character have almost always been wrong.

15 Likes