Please Deal With Sockpuppeting

For anyone that is not aware of what sockpuppeting is:

I recently came back to the game so I am surfing GD again, and I am seeing what appears to be blatant sockpuppeting by the same people that have been doing it consistently. Can there at least be an option to flag posts for sockpuppeting so that moderators can investigate accounts for it? That would curb many of the overtly inflammatory spam posts we keep seeing. But it cannot just be within individual accounts. There needs to be a way to detect when people are using completely different accounts to do this.

90 Likes

Check battle pets! And every classic poster is the same person, we all know this.

51 Likes

I mean, you can flag it anyway without being too specific?

This is really the easiest way to figure out who’s who for me.

12 Likes

I support the OP and I think they are pretty and smart and are very cool.

20 Likes

That’s one way to check but that only works for people doing it with one account. If they’re using different accounts then that doesn’t do anything. I believe moderators can verify when people are using different accounts because of their access to the computer information, but the problem is prompting staff to actually conduct such an investigation.

11 Likes

This has been confirmed by the Support Forum Agents. They don’t have to guess whether someone is sockpuppeting.

Flag the sockpuppet post as “inappropriate” and the mods can figure it out.

5 Likes

Sadly doesnt work for the T’s as they use different accounts.

Otherwise it works

12 Likes

I’m unsure as to why 0 post hidden throwaway classic alts are even permitted.

12 Likes

Well they’re obviously not using the Classic forums, gotta post somewhere :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Sock Puppets are cool as long as you use new socks.

9 Likes

^ DING! DING!

8 Likes

Yup, one identity for the forums would be nice. Not tied to any character or version of the game. No more invalidating an opinion by drilling into the achievements of the character that posted. No more switching characters to like or respond to your own post. And for the love of Elune, give us back the :-1: button.

It’s nice to have dreams…

13 Likes

I was gunna make a joke and pretend to be OP on another character

But ew, blood elf

4 Likes

So how do you plan to deal with the fact that there are professional trolls maintaining separate bnet accounts on this site, some of which are supporting unpopular development decisions by blizzard?

The forums are meaningless. Posting here doesn’t matter. What opinions that you disagree with are you trying to purge? Are you willing to give up a raid tier for this? Didn’t it take them 2 years to implement an ignore feature in the forums?

They chose this forum software because it had features they wanted. In my opinion the sockpuppeting you so despise is a feature, not a bug.

3 Likes

“Deal with”? I’m not Blizzard staff so I don’t “deal with” anything. That’s why I made this post asking Blizzard staff to implement ways for us players to prompt them to do it.

I’m not trying to purge opinions. I’m trying to get Blizzard to actually deal with line-dancing trolls that make inflammatory spam posts disguised as productive suggestions.

7 Likes

Professional?

Are they making three fiddy golds? Or only one golds, and holidays off? :thinking:

11 Likes

It doesn’t really matter. We are the only ones looking at the forums and we have no control over what makes it into the code.

One solution to curb sockpuppeting with other accounts is to raise the minimum posting level for GD only to one level above the previous expansion level cap.

So right now, it would be 51, when DF happens it will be 61. This means that sockpuppeting on a new account would require buying the new expansion $$$ and leveling (time or $$$). This would financially deter or make bored a majority of socks.

Downside is EU licenses with trial us accounts would have to also pay.

They could also just require the latest expansion somewhere on bnet but that means level 10 spam stays.

2 Likes

Can confirm am salt mining the forums at wholesale levels.

Fairly lucrative

3 Likes

And Blizz has been shown in this forum to punish people who do it.